Music Recording Sound Progress!

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

Music Recording Sound Progress!

Post by daib0 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Let's go back to 1997 - not that far back is it?

Yep ...

Radiohead thought floppydisc was going to be how we were going to listen to future recordings when they released OK Computer in 97.

that was only TWENTY YEARS Ago!

Other progressing roads were faced at that time too -

for example, I bought a few commercial mini discs as I thought they were going to catch on - really great sound, but alas not enough popularity outside of musicians interested in recording themselves ....

So, if we sum up the progress of recorded music from the old LP 78 and the music cassette in the 70s and the 80s, are you astounded - like me - at the so rapid progress of late?

And where will this lead us in another twenty years?

Please share your thoughts!!
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Music Recording Sound Progress!

Post by overseasTOON » Tue May 30, 2017 8:53 pm

I bought mini discs as well. I even upgraded my car stereo to mini disc which meant it was obsolete shortly after purchase and ended up in the attic with my 8 track.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed May 31, 2017 9:26 am

I quite liked mini discs. It meant I could do my paper round without the tracks skipping!
Kindly deeds done for free!

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed May 31, 2017 1:43 pm

I remember my old Sony Walkman I used to have in the mid 90's. The foam earphones were very trendy too!!!
Very annoying having to take the cassette out and turn it round then fast forward it in order to rewind the side you were listening too. Thinking about it, why the f*** did they not have rewind buttons?

Also , can anyone remember trying to record the charts of the radio on the old hi-fi's? Trying to pause it before the dj started talking over the song. I used to record dave Pearce dance classics aswell.

Nostalgia
# stolen from nufc.com :)

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Wed May 31, 2017 3:42 pm

This is an interesting discussion. I've always loved collecting music and I'm very proud of my collection. I have thousands of CDs and I like how easy it is to lend them to people. However, I do have them all burnt to my computer and on my iPod classic which I think is possibly the greatest invention of the last 20 years.

Like Dave, I used to have my CD player on my paper round and it was good because I invested in one that wouldn't skip as easily but you really couldn't go running with it, plus it was bulky.

I now thoroughly enjoy Spotify and I think represents great value, but I will always buy the music I like if I like it enough.

We used wedding money to buy a record player and hifi set up and we have duplicates of lots of our favourite albums on vinyl now, about 100 so far but loving it. There is something very ritualistic about the process of putting on a record, about enjoying the art work and having to re-engage with the music halfway through the record in order to flip it. I have a combination of new records and some of my mum and dad's old ones which have been fun to go through. They had an absolute s****-ton of Lindisfarne who I love.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed May 31, 2017 8:17 pm

seatonsluicetoon wrote:This is an interesting discussion. I've always loved collecting music and I'm very proud of my collection. I have thousands of CDs and I like how easy it is to lend them to people. However, I do have them all burnt to my computer and on my iPod classic which I think is possibly the greatest invention of the last 20 years.

Like Dave, I used to have my CD player on my paper round and it was good because I invested in one that wouldn't skip as easily but you really couldn't go running with it, plus it was bulky.

I now thoroughly enjoy Spotify and I think represents great value, but I will always buy the music I like if I like it enough.

We used wedding money to buy a record player and hifi set up and we have duplicates of lots of our favourite albums on vinyl now, about 100 so far but loving it. There is something very ritualistic about the process of putting on a record, about enjoying the art work and having to re-engage with the music halfway through the record in order to flip it. I have a combination of new records and some of my mum and dad's old ones which have been fun to go through. They had an absolute s****-ton of Lindisfarne who I love.
I love looking through my dad's LP collection. Some of the artwork is superb and you just don't get that anymore. Alice Cooper's School's Out folds into a desk and Billion Dollar Babies has a giant billion dollar bill inside <awe>
Kindly deeds done for free!

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

Post by daib0 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:10 pm

really good comments guys!!
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:22 am

My parents' vinyls are played to within an inch of their lives which in a way I prefer. I can imagine my mum having them as a student and playing them over and over, and people bringing records to parties and constantly changing them and not looking after them, just like I used to do with CDs.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi