A Yank in Newcastle

YankNUFC916
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

A Yank in Newcastle

Post by YankNUFC916 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Ladies & Gents,

I am an American fan of the greatest club on earth Newcastle United! I have supported the club for over 15 years through thick and thin from across the pond and will finally be making my first trip to St. James for a match this season. My plan is to attend the home fixture against Liverpool on 10/1 and spend a couple days in the jewel of the north. As a yank, I have a few questions:

1. What is the best way to go about getting match tickets? I know this will be a popular fixture..

2. Where should we go for pre-match pints?

3. Finally, any other recommendations for your fair city upon the Tyne?

Regards,

Sam

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: A Yank in Newcastle

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:55 am

Hi Sam, if you buy an NUFC membership then you'll be able to get a ticket when they go once sale to members. It should go to members sale, but a membership will cost £35pp. You could take a risk and wait for it to go to public sale where you should still be able to get a ticket, although if it's popular then your choices might be limited.

Not sure where they best pubs are as I don't live locally so am usually driving.

What kind of other things are you into? Are you visiting anywhere else in the UK? I'd 100% recommend visiting Edinburgh which isn't too far away.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:03 am

Liverpool will be a tough one to get tickets for I'd imagine. Your best bet is to use the club website and wait until/if they go on general sale and pick them up then. You can also use Viagogo to buy tickets off someone who has bought them but can't go anymore.

The Strawberry just outside the stadium is the traditional pre-match pub, although Shark Bar is also pretty lively and right next to the stadium as well.

It'll be pretty cold in October but I'd recommend going to Tynemouth as there are loads of nice restaurants and bars around here and a few sights to see. The end of the Ouseburn river (where it meets the Tyne) also has a bunch of bars and isn't too far from the centre.

Also worth bearing in mind that you're only a 10 minute train ride away from Durham which has loads of things to see and do as well.
REQUIEM

Mag_Laad
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Mag_Laad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:19 am

Ramone wrote:Liverpool will be a tough one to get tickets for I'd imagine. Your best bet is to use the club website and wait until/if they go on general sale and pick them up then. You can also use Viagogo to buy tickets off someone who has bought them but can't go anymore.

The Strawberry just outside the stadium is the traditional pre-match pub, although Shark Bar is also pretty lively and right next to the stadium as well.

It'll be pretty cold in October but I'd recommend going to Tynemouth as there are loads of nice restaurants and bars around here and a few sights to see. The end of the Ouseburn river (where it meets the Tyne) also has a bunch of bars and isn't too far from the centre.

Also worth bearing in mind that you're only a 10 minute train ride away from Durham which has loads of things to see and do as well.
Aye Tynemouth is toppa, South Shields is as well as long as you don't go into the town centre and stay along the coast from the pier, parks, beaches, cliffs there, but don't go too far up past Whitburn as then your in Mackem land <laugh>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:24 am

Ramone wrote:Liverpool will be a tough one to get tickets for I'd imagine. Your best bet is to use the club website and wait until/if they go on general sale and pick them up then. You can also use Viagogo to buy tickets off someone who has bought them but can't go anymore.

I like Tynemouth and Ouseburn but for a yank (no old buildings) yo can't beat Durham. Just leave plenty of time for the train if you plan on going to the match from Durham, it get ridiculously busy!
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:46 am

Newcastle =Grey street for bars and restaurants , sightseeing - old keep , quayside , Baltic .

Northumberland - Alnwick castle (harry potter was filmed there ) and gardens ,
Walkworth Castle
# stolen from nufc.com :)

YankNUFC916
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by YankNUFC916 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks Gents!

I was able to get 1 ticket after biting the bullet and buying a membership. I'm still looking for 2 more for my mates but we will definitely be there. Thanks for the recommendations. Even with this crap transfer window I'm pretty excited!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:44 pm

YankNUFC916 wrote:Thanks Gents!

I was able to get 1 ticket after biting the bullet and buying a membership. I'm still looking for 2 more for my mates but we will definitely be there. Thanks for the recommendations. Even with this crap transfer window I'm pretty excited!
Nice one!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Mag_Laad
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Mag_Laad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 pm

YankNUFC916 wrote:Thanks Gents!

Happy for you bud, make sure to let us know how you get on and how you find your trip owa here! <ok>