Do you enjoy using social media?

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 24497
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm

In the last two days I've not gone on Facebook at all and only briefly been on Twitter once. I think (for me) that scrolling up and down Facebook or Twitter had become more of a habit rather than something I was doing out of interest or enjoyment.

Got to say that I've quite enjoyed being away from the monotony of it. I find that if my watching something on TV that I pay a lot more attention and enjoy it more, and in a way it feels great not reaching for your phone every few minutes.

Has anyone else lost / losing interest in social media? I'm not saying I'll never check Facebook etc again but at the moment I feel that I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if I only glanced at it once or twice a week. Don't feel like I'm missing out an anything at all.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Posts: 8401
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by PTAO? » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:17 pm

I haven't actively used social media in over a year really. I only use fb for messenger, and twitter for complaints.

Whenever I see people endlessly scrolling through fb or instagram, they always look depressed to me.

User avatar
Chappy
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 4911
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:56 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Chappy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Meh. Not really. Facebook I just have as another means of contacting friends. I don't use Twitter. Instagram and Snapchat are ok... but yeah, a lot of the time I find myself using them out of habit rather than interest.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

User avatar
Mag_Laad
Beardsley's Ballbag
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:50 pm
Location: London/Mitroland

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Mag_Laad » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Big part of to do with what I do, but I think it's absolute poison.

Hate people that post about doing 'good deeds' like buying a coffee for a homeless person etc, like you can do that and not post about it instead of seeking approval and attention off everyone online.

Hate people that post their entire lives on social media too, like why would people want to know? Especially when it's their personal lives like sly digs at an ex or people at their workplaces etc.

Hate people that portray their lives to be something that they are not as well on social media too.

Make me ill b3llends like that, they are one of the reasons I stay away from Facebook and Twitter for personal use, I do like the online photographic album aspect of Instagram though.

This should be comment should be in the message of hate thread instead! <laugh>

User avatar
Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police
Posts: 7056
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm
Location: Newcastle, High Heaton

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Toondes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:59 pm

In don't use anything other than this and eBay.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Online
User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 18864
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:00 pm

I hate the assholes who can't walk without reading social media and still continue to do so whilst taking a staircase at the slowest possible pace ever. The amount of times I've missed a connecting train is infuriating.

Some person in the office block stands at the urinal and reads his phone, every damn time.

I accused him of taking dick picks to try and break his habit.

User avatar
Mag_Laad
Beardsley's Ballbag
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:50 pm
Location: London/Mitroland

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Mag_Laad » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:13 pm

overseasTOON wrote:I hate the assholes who can't walk without reading social media and still continue to do so whilst taking a staircase at the slowest possible pace ever. The amount of times I've missed a connecting train is infuriating.

Some person in the office block stands at the urinal and reads his phone, every damn time.

I accused him of taking dick picks to try and break his habit.
Can tell you live in the south as well <laugh>

Always say to me housemate that there should be a walking minimum speed limit in London haha!

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Posts: 776
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)
Contact:

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by daib0 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm on twitter every day but have never had Facebook - much calmer using only one. Neither Instagram, linkedIn or any of the others ...
A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 24497
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Yeah a lot of what has been said resonates with me. Obviously people can do what they like and if you want to kill time on the bus looking on social media then whatever. But the amount of people walking down the street glued to their phone, or the amount of people you see supposedly out together but actually all of them are glued to their phone just seems a bit sad.

Over the last 12 months or so I've definitely preferred Twitter to Facebook, mainly as I can just look at sports related things rather than the stories of people's lives. I'll still follow footie scores and so on but defo cutting right back. My phone battery lasts longer too <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Ramone
Interblew
Interblew
Posts: 18626
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:47 am
Location: The Homeland

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Ramone » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Think I'm addicted to Twitter <laugh> Don't really use Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat that much.
REQUIEM

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 24497
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Ramone wrote:Think I'm addicted to Twitter <laugh> Don't really use Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat that much.
I'm pretty sure my wife is addicted to Facebook <laugh>

Maybe I'm addicted to TF <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2963
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:23 pm
Location: Sheffield/Newcastle

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:58 am

Facebook messenger is useful but I deactivate FB frequently since it's such a f***ing waste of time. And full of idiots.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 24497
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:28 am

Sir Bobby wrote:Facebook messenger is useful but I deactivate FB frequently since it's such a f***ing waste of time. And full of idiots.
Yes tbf I still use Facebook messenger, but I see that more of a WhatsApp type tool to contact friends.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 17101
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Somerset

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by skalpel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:24 am

It's like peering at the slag heap of narcissism. I can pretty much think of no better way to transform yourself into an angry misanthrope than to become addicted to reading Twitter and Facebook.

Add up all of the wasted time reading the gibbering of clueless blowhards on social media and imagine it was instead poured into reading about something you've always found interesting but presumed you never had the time to study, or taking a walk alone with your thoughts, or making or building something, anything. You can be in no doubt at all that your happiness, satisfaction and general well being would be improved.

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 20185
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by ALF » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:31 am

I don't use Facebook much, have a scroll through every now and then but the main benefit is Messenger. Twitter I use a lot more, it's my main source of NUFC news and probably my main source of general news as well. Have plenty of debates on there with idiot NUFC accounts that buy some followers and think they're the dogs bollocks.

I use Instagram and Snapchat a fair bit too <perv>

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 24497
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:32 am

skalpel wrote:It's like peering at the slag heap of narcissism. I can pretty much think of no better way to transform yourself into an angry misanthrope than to become addicted to reading Twitter and Facebook.

Add up all of the wasted time reading the gibbering of clueless blowhards on social media and imagine it was instead poured into reading about something you've always found interesting but presumed you never had the time to study, or taking a walk alone with your thoughts, or making or building something, anything. You can be in no doubt at all that your happiness, satisfaction and general well being would be improved.
Slag heap of narcissism - I like that <laugh>

I got to work half an hour early yesterday, usually I'd have sat in the car on Facebook or Twitter but instead I brought a book with me and sat reading that.

As I mentioned, I'll still go on social media now and again but at the moment I'd say I'll be on there about 90% less. I'll mainly do it at weekends to keep up-to-date with football tbh.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Donkey Toon
Resident Financial Expert
Resident Financial Expert
Posts: 5930
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:30 pm

I've never been on twitter, instagram or facebook. My entire social media usage is limited to here and a couple of other forums which I might visit once or twice a year.

And I have no interest in branching out for exactly the reasons skalpel has already stated.

And don't get me started on mobile phones either. Hate those f***ing things! <fist>

User avatar
Chappy
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 4911
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:56 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Chappy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Narcissism is a huge part of it. It tends to be more women than men from what I've seen - but it's all about who can get the most likes.

Ooohhh look at me etc.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

User avatar
Mag_Laad
Beardsley's Ballbag
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:50 pm
Location: London/Mitroland

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Mag_Laad » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Chappy wrote:Narcissism is a huge part of it. It tends to be more women than men from what I've seen - but it's all about who can get the most likes.

Ooohhh look at me etc.
There's a lass I know and follow on insta and all it is filled with is selfies of herself, nowt else just selfies. Same pose and trout lips a lot of the time, only thing varying are her outfits...I really question why?

Use mine as I travel a lot so anything I find interesting or aesthetically pleasing normally gets stuck on, the odd picture with a few friends for whatever occasion etc but that's it. It's my online photo album as to what I think of it as, interesting to scroll back through every now and then.

We no longer have Kodak prints of yesteryear, so it's interesting to see the evolution of the old 27 exposure prints to now.

User avatar
Chappy
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 4911
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:56 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by Chappy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Mag_Laad wrote:
Chappy wrote:Narcissism is a huge part of it. It tends to be more women than men from what I've seen - but it's all about who can get the most likes.

Ooohhh look at me etc.
There's a lass I know and follow on insta and all it is filled with is selfies of herself, nowt else just selfies. Same pose and trout lips a lot of the time, only thing varying are her outfits...I really question why?

Use mine as I travel a lot so anything I find interesting or aesthetically pleasing normally gets stuck on, the odd picture with a few friends for whatever occasion etc but that's it. It's my online photo album as to what I think of it as, interesting to scroll back through every now and then.

We no longer have Kodak prints of yesteryear, so it's interesting to see the evolution of the old 27 exposure prints to now.
I'm big into my travelling too and use it the same way. I post the odd photo of something else, related to other interests, but that's about it. There's a few birds I have on insta who are the same. Think it's just an ego boost tbh. Fishing for likes and compliments.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Post Reply