Do you enjoy using social media?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Do you enjoy using social media?

Post by ALF » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Chappy wrote:
Mag_Laad wrote: There's a lass I know and follow on insta and all it is filled with is selfies of herself, nowt else just selfies. Same pose and trout lips a lot of the time, only thing varying are her outfits...I really question why?

Use mine as I travel a lot so anything I find interesting or aesthetically pleasing normally gets stuck on, the odd picture with a few friends for whatever occasion etc but that's it. It's my online photo album as to what I think of it as, interesting to scroll back through every now and then.

We no longer have Kodak prints of yesteryear, so it's interesting to see the evolution of the old 27 exposure prints to now.
I'm big into my travelling too and use it the same way. I post the odd photo of something else, related to other interests, but that's about it. There's a few birds I have on insta who are the same. Think it's just an ego boost tbh. Fishing for likes and compliments.
Recently put a picture of a spider on mine. It was f***ing huge.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:58 pm

I used to work with a girl who would put selfies / posing pics on and if they didn't quickly get a fair few likes she'd delete the post.

For me the best thing about it is seeing what my family are up to as they all live 4 hours away from me so don't see them often. But I find with the dross and adverts that are taking over social media more and more that I see less and less of the things I'd actually be interested in.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:I used to work with a girl who would put selfies / posing pics on and if they didn't quickly get a fair few likes she'd delete the post.

For me the best thing about it is seeing what my family are up to as they all live 4 hours away from me so don't see them often. But I find with the dross and adverts that are taking over social media more and more that I see less and less of the things I'd actually be interested in.
Yeah I've noticed that recently across all platforms... it's annoying as f***.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Yes I do.

Twitter I use for following football, terrible puns, finding out about gigs and link to political articles. I rarely if ever tweet or reply (or look at replies). It does this ok.

Facebook is for sharing photos and keeping in contact with old mates far away. I delete/mute people who spam so it's not too bad an experience. No one from work.

The worst recently is Linkdin, people sharing motivational posts/politics etc. It's not the place for that. tbh i barely look at the feed, mainly for contact details and recruiter links
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:35 pm

skalpel wrote:It's like peering at the slag heap of narcissism. I can pretty much think of no better way to transform yourself into an angry misanthrope than to become addicted to reading Twitter and Facebook.

Add up all of the wasted time reading the gibbering of clueless blowhards on social media and imagine it was instead poured into reading about something you've always found interesting but presumed you never had the time to study, or taking a walk alone with your thoughts, or making or building something, anything. You can be in no doubt at all that your happiness, satisfaction and general well being would be improved.
But what if a social network has led you into numerous readings you wouldn't have otherwise known about?
I follow peolpe who post these kinda things, especially ones with different political views and twitter is a decent portal for this. Like any form of social interaction, it can be good or bad, you have to seek the good fulfilling ones.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:Yes I do.

Twitter I use for following football, terrible puns, finding out about gigs and link to political articles. I rarely if ever tweet or reply (or look at replies). It does this ok.

Facebook is for sharing photos and keeping in contact with old mates far away. I delete/mute people who spam so it's not too bad an experience. No one from work.

The worst recently is Linkdin, people sharing motivational posts/politics etc. It's not the place for that. tbh i barely look at the feed, mainly for contact details and recruiter links
Yes nothing wrong at all with that. I had hidden quite a few people on Facebook but didn't seem to make much difference. Twitter is definitely better for info, general interest, funny things etc.

I've got a few mates that live overseas (New Zealand, Vietnam, USA) but I tend to use WhatsApp to contact them. Facebook is useful for storing pictures (i'm not on Instagram).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:08 pm

I'm not on snapchat or instagram and deleted the Facebook app a few months ago because I found it pointless scrolling through shitty people's lives and racist opinions.

Like a couple others here I use Twitter a lot, not really to tweet myself but for news, football updates, politics, 'weird twitter' and memes. It feels like the least pointless form of social media to me but I'm fully aware I spend way too much time on it.

The worst thing about apps like snapchat and instagram are people who want to spend their night 'documenting' their fun rather than actually enjoying whatever they're doing. I have several work colleagues like this and it drives me insane. The rest of their night is spent checking to see how many people have 'seen' them having a fun night <erk>.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
skalpel wrote:It's like peering at the slag heap of narcissism. I can pretty much think of no better way to transform yourself into an angry misanthrope than to become addicted to reading Twitter and Facebook.

Add up all of the wasted time reading the gibbering of clueless blowhards on social media and imagine it was instead poured into reading about something you've always found interesting but presumed you never had the time to study, or taking a walk alone with your thoughts, or making or building something, anything. You can be in no doubt at all that your happiness, satisfaction and general well being would be improved.
But what if a social network has led you into numerous readings you wouldn't have otherwise known about?
I follow peolpe who post these kinda things, especially ones with different political views and twitter is a decent portal for this. Like any form of social interaction, it can be good or bad, you have to seek the good fulfilling ones.
Sure. If you use Twitter essentially as a feed for headlines, links to articles and essays, interesting aphorisms, etc. and, rather than being addicted to reading pages of inane bickering and self-promotion, you've ordered things so that you are procuring information that makes you feel productive, positive, and rounded, then more power to you. I still don't think it's necessary (there are other means of finding new things to read and challenging yourself), but it's certainly an option. I can't imagine it's easy to avoid reading reams of junk information though.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:55 pm

I use twitter but I don't tweet. I use it just to follow news and interests which I think it is good for. I use instagram a bit too. Again I don't post anything but it's good to follow photographers and the like on there.

Social media as a whole I think is pretty cancerous and I do think it is worsening society.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Also Snapchat is what has made me realise that I'm getting old and there is now another generation behind me. It's not just that I don't understand it but more that I just don't care to understand it.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:16 pm

I was an early adopter of Twitter and used it solely to stay in touch with a good friend after I moved to Belgium.

His tweets consisted of two messages:

Mmmm. Sausages

And

Off for a dump

Once I was safe in the knowledge that my mate was happily shitting sausages on a daily basis, I stopped using the medium.

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:57 pm

I like Instagram. I've made my profile private and allowed a really small network of about 30 followers - all people I know and care about and genuinely want to hear their opinions on the things I post. I post maybe once a month and it's always something that matters to me and never goes on FB. Likewise I follow a slightly larger network of people who's posts I genuinely care about and want to see, including a smattering of famous folk.

As for FB, I use personally to tag friends in memes and stuff, that's literally it. I've been on it a lot more often since I started the football club because it's pretty much the only way to interact with other clubs, potential signings etc.
Don't hinder the Trinder

ScottW1886
Pope's Goalposts

Post by ScottW1886 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:27 am

I have, or rather had now I think, a friend who became completely and utterly obsessed with Twitter. He started an unofficial fan account for a rugby team, and would initially use it to anonymously abuse a supposedly close friend. Gave up a regular game of badminton with us, stopped going to nights out all so that he could update his followers on rugby news. When he did come on nights out, he'd literally spend all night on his phone live tweeting his evening.

The biggest annoyance though was that he'd literally lose the plot if anyone posted photos of kids on their social media while he was struggling to conceive with his wife, telling us he'd contemplate suicide because of these insensitive folk. When he did have a wee boy, his social media became awash with photos of his son... When my wife and I miscarried, his response was to post 5 photos of his son and say how glad he was to have a healthy child.

Social media can literally take over someone's life and ruin relationships with folk!
Last edited by ScottW1886 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScottW1886
Pope's Goalposts

Post by ScottW1886 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:28 am

Personally I use Instagram and Twitter a lot for sharing my photography with like minded individuals and have managed to generate some sales that way....

Southern fairy
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Southern fairy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:30 pm

This topic has actually made me decide to delete the facebook app on my phone to stop from wasting time scrolling through my feed in an almost zombie-like manner. Kept messenger as it's quite important, but it's nice being rid of all the other sh*t!
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 am

Southern fairy wrote:This topic has actually made me decide to delete the facebook app on my phone to stop from wasting time scrolling through my feed in an almost zombie-like manner. Kept messenger as it's quite important, but it's nice being rid of all the other sh*t!
Not a bad idea.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Southern fairy wrote:This topic has actually made me decide to delete the facebook app on my phone to stop from wasting time scrolling through my feed in an almost zombie-like manner. Kept messenger as it's quite important, but it's nice being rid of all the other sh*t!
<awe>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:44 pm

TF changing lives <awe>

Southern fairy

Post by Southern fairy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 pm

I feel cleansed. Hallelujah, thank the Lord Ameobi Christ
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

Seagull
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Seagull » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:17 pm

I pretty much hate it and feel depressed thinking about how much time I spend on it but it's my only means to communicate with my friends because my phone is f***ing s***.
"He's on the computer in his underwear wasting time in some chitchat room, going back & forth with some other fuckin' jerkoff"

Tony Soprano