Dan Brown

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Dan Brown

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Dan Brown is a genius. There's no other word to describe him. He's got a new book out - about Spain and about "two of the fundamental questions of human existence". I can't wait to read it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_(Dan_Brown_novel)

When you start reading one of his books, you just turn the pages, and cannot stop until you've got to the end. Absolutely brilliant.

What do people think?

By the way, I think the films based on the books are much much worse than the books.
Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Dan Brown

Post by PTAO? » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm

No

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:50 pm

I read his first two books but stopped after that as I find his writing style a tad irksome and repetitive.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 pm

I've never read his books and got a bit bored of his TV shows.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:07 pm

overseasTOON wrote:I read his first two books but stopped after that as I find his writing style a tad irksome and repetitive.
This. I did exactly the same, it gets boring after a while

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Love dan brown. On a par with Shakespear IMO

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Enjoyed a couple, not enough to read all of his work though. Prefer Bret Easton Ellis and writers similar to that.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:43 am

beatski wrote:Love dan brown. On a par with Shakespear IMO
<laugh>

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 am

I'm surprised at how few people seem to regard Dan Brown as a genius, but I suppose that's the interesting thing about debates. People have different opinions. Personally, I really think he's a genius. :)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:48 am

By the definition of what is a genius then he ticks the boxes. But being a genius and people being interested are different things. I don't doubt that he is a genius in his field of expertise, after a while I just lose interest in what he does.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:08 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:By the definition of what is a genius then he ticks the boxes. But being a genius and people being interested are different things. I don't doubt that he is a genius in his field of expertise, after a while I just lose interest in what he does.
Okay. :) I just can't stop reading his books when I start reading them. I just can't understand how I can get through books as quickly as I can get through his books. He's not my favourite writer, but I do think he's great!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 am

NickKIELCEPOland wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:By the definition of what is a genius then he ticks the boxes. But being a genius and people being interested are different things. I don't doubt that he is a genius in his field of expertise, after a while I just lose interest in what he does.
Okay. :) I just can't stop reading his books when I start reading them. I just can't understand how I can get through books as quickly as I can get through his books. He's not my favourite writer, but I do think he's great!
TBH I've never read any of his books, only watched his TV shows (although nothing recently, The Heist might have been the last one).

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:11 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
NickKIELCEPOland wrote:Okay. :) I just can't stop reading his books when I start reading them. I just can't understand how I can get through books as quickly as I can get through his books. He's not my favourite writer, but I do think he's great!
TBH I've never read any of his books, only watched his TV shows (although nothing recently, The Heist might have been the last one).
Many Dan Brown critics have never read his books.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 am

I can’t tell if BB is subtly trolling or genuinely confused <laugh>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:I can’t tell if BB is subtly trolling or genuinely confused <laugh>
This <laugh> <laugh>

If trolling then it is award worthy. <gent> <laugh>

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:36 pm

I can see both sides here. It can be repetitive and irksome with the constant asides between dialogue along the lines of 'as he rang the doorbell of the Illuminati headquarters, Langdon wondered whether the nubbin shaped button was a reference to the nipple of the goddess Venus, many references to whom could be found throughout the cult'.

In a way it's tiresome but the stories are generally quite clever and you learn about a whole subculture you had very little idea existed which can lead you to researching various points of interest in much more depth.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

Southern fairy

Post by Southern fairy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 am

<whistle> patiently waiting for BB's next comment
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:54 am

Didn't he write music? Or am I thinking of Barry white?