Car Pits to work on at home?

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

Car Pits to work on at home?

Post by daib0 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 am

Hi boys, I know I'm in North Spain, but I'd like to sound you out a bit.

We moved to a new house a few months ago, house needs a lot of doing up, but an amazing size garden - 3/4 of an acre.

My son 23 years old now wants to put a 6' deep car pit near the entrance, but I'm just realizing that pits now in Spain are hardly legal. What's the situation in the UK, what basic requirements are required and are local town councils reluctant to agree? I think my son is wading into a stack of problems - doesn't want an elevator he says - but any thoughts from anyone who knows the scene much better than me? It's also a damp area where he proposing!

Cheers ....
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Car Pits to work on at home?

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:14 pm

Bit of a niche area of expertise you’re looking for here! I’d be very surprised if you didn’t need some form of consent / building regs approval (if it’s even allowed). I can’t recall ever seeing a car pit at someone’s house, if it was straightforward I’m sure a lot of petrol-heads would probably have done it...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:28 am

I've got Carpets at home, the missus chose them though so I'm no use to you.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

Post by daib0 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:16 pm

it's all on hold for the moment!
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:34 pm

Plus there could be all kinds of stuff (gas pipes, water pipes, electricity cables, sewers, drains) running under the drive so probably best avoided!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?