Coronavirus

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Re: Coronavirus

Post by beatski » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:21 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:20 am
Yeah, it has been a farce. A think a lot of it has been driven by financial pressures (same reason as to why they reopened shops, pubs, restaurants etc when they did). It’s not beyond the realms of possibilities that some universities could have gone under if students weren’t allowed back. The sector has already taken a huge hit with massive falls in overseas student numbers, they bring big money with them in terms of fees which are far higher than the already high domestic / EU student fees.

Luckily my post is research based and externally funded but of the 3 uni’s I’ve worked at I know all have been making a lot of redundancies.
would have been nice if they had to sell off some of their halls, create a bit of extra housing

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:50 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:20 am
Yeah, it has been a farce. A think a lot of it has been driven by financial pressures (same reason as to why they reopened shops, pubs, restaurants etc when they did). It’s not beyond the realms of possibilities that some universities could have gone under if students weren’t allowed back. The sector has already taken a huge hit with massive falls in overseas student numbers, they bring big money with them in terms of fees which are far higher than the already high domestic / EU student fees.

Luckily my post is research based and externally funded but of the 3 uni’s I’ve worked at I know all have been making a lot of redundancies.
But the government made it a false dichotomy, either no term or students go back. Remote teaching is possible (if not preferred).

Yeah that would place pressure on labs in term 2, but most student don't have these. And its a pandemic, sacrifices need to be made.

Or you know the government could bail out unis like it did businesses and keep students at home. When all the students return to their parents, its gonna be a catastrophe (unless they tested as they leave). Breeding the virus in hall then sending it out to every community in the UK. sigh
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:56 am

Remote teaching is easy / common now with lecture capture. It's the way that things were going even pre-Covid. Large lectures delivered online, and smaller face-to-face sessions and tutorials for other work. Every university will have the tech as it has been getting rolled out for a number of years now. Plus all learning resources are online now so not being on campus isn't an issue from that point of view, more so losing out on the 'university experience'.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:26 am

I study with the Open University and, other than attending a few face-to-face tutorials in my first year, I have done everything remotely and it has been great. I don't need access to anything other than the books and my computer, but I imagine if you're studying Forensics or Physiotherapy it would be difficult to do everything remotely <laugh>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:51 am

Seems maximum file size was the issue behind not recording positive tests.

<urgh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:56 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:26 am
I study with the Open University and, other than attending a few face-to-face tutorials in my first year, I have done everything remotely and it has been great. I don't need access to anything other than the books and my computer, but I imagine if you're studying Forensics or Physiotherapy it would be difficult to do everything remotely <laugh>.
Haha yeah for sure <laugh>

Would make sense at least for this term to only have students on campus who have to be there. Does someone doing philosophy who sits contemplating the meaning of life need to be on campus to do that? Probably not <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:06 am

I started Uni last month and I absolutely despise learning from home. I have to go in once a week at the minute and that's definitely my preferred day.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:11 am

Yeah it's not ideal, but needs must right now.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:35 am

And there it is.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:56 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:35 am

And there it is.
Every time I think Trump can't possibly say or do anything stupider he somehow manages it. It is actually quite impressive to maintain that level of fuckwittitude on such a regular basis.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:10 am

Donkey Toon wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:56 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:35 am

And there it is.
Every time I think Trump can't possibly say or do anything stupider he somehow manages it. It is actually quite impressive to maintain that level of fuckwittitude on such a regular basis.
I try not to get annoyed when I see people supporting him but it just makes me want to smash things. He is just the worst person on the entire f***ing planet.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:06 pm

Looks like this second wave is going to be much worse than the first <grim>.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:27 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:06 pm
Looks like this second wave is going to be much worse than the first <grim>.
Half arsed s**** from the government. Need to crack down hard and get a track and trace that works in place. Economy and lives lost and ruined because they think it's a binary choice and are trying to keep everything going. 50k more dead by December. Criminal.

Brother text me saying he may lose his job because the pub he works at isn't being forced to shut it wont get any support. March all over again.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:37 pm

CRon has it now.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:08 pm

Someone I know from work died of it last night. They had tested positive but was working from home seemingly in good spirits. Went down hill very fast, Police had to break in today and found them dead. Awful

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:37 am

Micky Quim wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:08 pm
Someone I know from work died of it last night. They had tested positive but was working from home seemingly in good spirits. Went down hill very fast, Police had to break in today and found them dead. Awful
Guy I work with got it. Ended up on a ventilator for a week. Wife gave birth the same week. Must have been terrifying for them both. He is ok now, he can't move much more than across the room without needing to sit down, but could have been far worse.

Scary s***.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:39 am

<erk>

Jeez that’s rough stuff.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 am

Yeah that's really rough. My next door neighbour was saying his aunt got it. She was doing ok, then said to her husband "should probably go to hospital". the husband rang 999 and by the time he'd finished she'd died. Grim
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 am

My girlfriends sister got it a week before she gave birth to twins, they're all doing fine but she wasn't allowed to see or hold her babies until she got a clear Covid test so was over a week.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:53 am

Yet people still don't realise this is actually a real thing and think that the governments of the world have just clubbed together to remove our rights and give them a reason to forcibly vaccinate everyone.