Coronavirus

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Coronavirus

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:55 pm

MiniOTs school year were all sent home at 12 today and told to isolate for 10 days as several students in her year group have had a positive result.

The letter from the school states that even though its possible she may have been infected; parents can still continue as they would normally in terms of work, shopping etc which seems wrong to me.

If she's potentially infected then we have to treat the next 10 days as if we could be as well?

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:54 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:55 pm
MiniOTs school year were all sent home at 12 today and told to isolate for 10 days as several students in her year group have had a positive result.

The letter from the school states that even though its possible she may have been infected; parents can still continue as they would normally in terms of work, shopping etc which seems wrong to me.

If she's potentially infected then we have to treat the next 10 days as if we could be as well?
If they admit you might be exposed it would become too apparent that a lockdown is utterly futile if schools remain open.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:11 am

If someone in the household has tested positive my work is saying 14 days off site. I would get MiniOT tested to find out

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:28 pm

What are everyones thoughts about the vaccine? Part of me would like a few million/billion other people to have it first. I want life to go back to normal, but I also don't want to get Bloaty Head.

Kindly deeds done for free!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:38 am

<laugh>

I think there will be a lot of naysayers but those will be a lot of the same people who object about the flu vaccine or won’t vaccinate their children.

These vaccines have been tested on a lot of people, the main unknown as far as I can see is that we don’t yet know how long it’ll be effective for and when a top up is needed.

I manage medical studies for a living so based on the numbers and reported patient outcomes so far I’d have no issues at all in receiving the vaccination.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:42 am

I'll be happy to get it, but would just like a bit of reassurance that my eyes aren't going to suddenly fall out in two years time.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:46 am

Most of them are using established technology. The risk is very very low

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 am

That'll do. Sign me up!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:57 am

<laugh>

Yeah, if you're otherwise fit and healthy(ish!) then the risks will be incredibly low. The chances of most of us suffering serious health complications or dying from even catching Covid is tiny as it is, it's just passing it on to vulnerable people which is the problem for the most part rather than most of us actually catching it.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:02 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:57 am
<laugh>

Yeah, if you're otherwise fit and healthy(ish!) then the risks will be incredibly low. The chances of most of us suffering serious health complications or dying from even catching Covid is tiny as it is, it's just passing it on to vulnerable people which is the problem for the most part rather than most of us actually catching it.
Tiny? You've heard of long covid in young people right?
(and I'm sure there are some 50+ people on here)

But yeah more vulnerable people need us to be immune on their behalf.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:07 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:02 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:57 am
<laugh>

Tiny? You've heard of long covid in young people right?
(and I'm sure there are some 50+ people on here)

But yeah more vulnerable people need us to be immune on their behalf.
It is tiny if you look at the % of the actual population outside of high risk groups who have or are suffering serious adverse effects.

There will always be outliers. The average age of people dying is still >80 years old. Research has also shown that again, older people are far more likely to suffer from long Covid than younger people. The intensity of long covid symptoms is also variable, and for 'healthy' people it's very unlikely to be serious.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:10 am

But I mean if 18.5m people are high risk, thats not tiny https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:14 am

Yeah, that's the findings of one modelling study. Of those 18.5 million being high risk based on their parameters, if 50,000 have died so far then I'd say the odds are heavily stacked in our favour.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:51 pm

I've self-inflicted long term covid.

I used to walk about 8 miles a day on average with commuting but since I've been working from home I walk about 1 mile a day to the corner store and back to get beer.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:04 pm

<laugh>

I walked about 8 miles on Sunday up, down and around the Wrekin in Telford and couldn't sleep the last couple of nights as my legs were killing.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:12 pm

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:43 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:38 am
<laugh>

I think there will be a lot of naysayers but those will be a lot of the same people who object about the flu vaccine or won’t vaccinate their children.

These vaccines have been tested on a lot of people, the main unknown as far as I can see is that we don’t yet know how long it’ll be effective for and when a top up is needed.

I manage medical studies for a living so based on the numbers and reported patient outcomes so far I’d have no issues at all in receiving the vaccination.
Aren't most vaccines tested for a number of years before being used on the public? That's my only concern. Like Dave says, I don't want it to work short term and then 2 years down the line my head blows up and my eyes fall out.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:18 pm

ALF wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:43 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:38 am
<laugh>

Aren't most vaccines tested for a number of years before being used on the public? That's my only concern. Like Dave says, I don't want it to work short term and then 2 years down the line my head blows up and my eyes fall out.
Im no expert but vaccines are a tried and tested science, surely they dont differ too much in terms of composition.

It's not as if you're the first person to get the smallpox vaccine.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:21 pm

Pissing me off this whole we need to have a family xmas and see people s****. Apparently it may tack on another 25 days of further restrictions.

Only reason you "need" to see family is a) they haven't got long left b) you're on your own.

British stiff upper lip my arse.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:22 pm

^what he said. Most of the vaccines have the same composition as existing vaccines, just with an element of the sars-cov virus or antigen that will trigger an immune response in your body so that your immune system learns how to fight it.

Also the number of people available and willing to sign up to clinical trials for this disease globally is helping speed up the number of candidates required to fulfil the criteria to prove efficacy and safety.