biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post-Brexit Transfer Rules - Supposedly starting in January 2021

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:21 am

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... le-1938151
  • No U18s
  • Only 3 x U21 signings, and no more than 6 x foreign signings
  • Points based system for players based on senior and youth international appearances, quality of the selling club (league, position, continental football) and club appearances. 15 points required (I think)
Mark Douglas has linked to the new guidelines from the FA on Twitter: https://t.co/30x5GakDhT?amp=1 (this will auto-download a PDF)

It will be interesting to see what that does for a club like ours. I think it will drive the quality of the leagues down over the years, as the PL will start to fill up with more players who would ordinarily playing in the Championship, League One into Championship and so on.
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Post-Brexit Transfer Rules

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 am

The 'no under-18s' rule won't affect the clubs like Man C and Chelsea who have feeder clubs and will presumably be able to get round it by having those teams sign the player...

I don't mind the maximum of 6 u21s players per season as it might stop some of the stockpiling that goes on, maybe. A team could still sign 10 foreign over 21 players if they wanted and they passed the points test.

Ideally more clubs will focus more resources on their own academies.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:35 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:21 am
  • No U18s
  • Only 6 foreign players per season
  • Points based system for players based on senior and youth international appearances, quality of the selling club (league, position, continental football) and club appearances. 15 points required (I think)
Mark Douglas has linked to the new guidelines from the FA on Twitter: https://t.co/30x5GakDhT?amp=1 (this will auto-download a PDF)

It will be interesting to see what that does for a club like ours. I think it will drive the quality of the leagues down over the years, as the PL will start to fill up with more players who would ordinarily playing in the Championship, League One into Championship and so on.
This. The idea banded about for years that restricting foreign players or having an 'English quota' will improve the quality of the PL, or more commonly the national team is false, this is what will prove it.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:50 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 am
The 'no under-18s' rule won't affect the clubs like Man C and Chelsea who have feeder clubs and will presumably be able to get round it by having those teams sign the player...

I don't mind the maximum of 6 u21s players per season as it might stop some of the stockpiling that goes on, maybe. A team could still sign 10 foreign over 21 players if they wanted and they passed the points test.

I have read that the limit on U21s is 3 players, and 6 is the limit for all foreign players of any age.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:35 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:21 am
  • No U18s
  • Only 6 foreign players per season

This. The idea banded about for years that restricting foreign players or having an 'English quota' will improve the quality of the PL, or more commonly the national team is false, this is what will prove it.
Probably, but until it happens it's still just a theory. I don't think that anyone ever said that the quality of the PL would improve with having an English quota, but it's certainly been an argument placed at the National team level.

From our point of view it won't change much. We don't sign many overseas u21 players anyway as investment in the youth setup is poor.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:50 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 am

I have read that the limit on U21s is 3 players, and 6 is the limit for all foreign players of any age.
Oh right, the ones I've read made it sound like it was maximum of 6 under 21s.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:52 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:35 pm

Probably, but until it happens it's still just a theory. I don't think that anyone ever said that the quality of the PL would improve with having an English quota, but it's certainly been an argument placed at the National team level.

From our point of view it won't change much. We don't sign many overseas u21 players anyway as investment in the youth setup is poor.
We don't sign many foreign players, but we do often sign younger players from outside of the top clubs/leagues who possibly do not have much international or continental experience. For example, players like Perez, Kante, Mahrez etc. may not have been able to pass the threshold when they were originally brought to the PL.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:06 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:52 pm

We don't sign many foreign players, but we do often sign younger players from outside of the top clubs/leagues who possibly do not have much international or continental experience. For example, players like Perez, Kante, Mahrez etc. may not have been able to pass the threshold when they were originally brought to the PL.
For us, is it usually more than 6 a season from outside the UK? Maybe it is and it passes my by as most never see the light of day, but it doesn't seem that we sign that many non-UK youngsters.

I do agree about hidden gems like Mahrez, Kante etc. as with restrictions it's less likely that clubs will just take a punt on someone.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Post-Brexit Transfer Rules - Supposedly starting in January 2021

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:52 pm

Another thing this will do is push up the already inflated prices of British players.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:52 pm
Another thing this will do is push up the already inflated prices of British players.
Would it not have the opposite effect over time? I've given myself a headache thinking about this. There must be someone on here who studied economics who can explain it to an idiot like me <laugh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:40 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:10 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:52 pm
Would it not have the opposite effect over time? I've given myself a headache thinking about this. There must be someone on here who studied economics who can explain it to an idiot like me <laugh>
I just thought that the British players would be more in demand if you had restrictions on foreign players?