Other club transfers summer 2020

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10302
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:58 am
Manchester United defender Phil Jones, 28, wants to leave the club in January, with the former England international unhappy at being left out of their Champions League squad.
He's another one that was tipped for greatness as a youngster and has been living off that hype ever since. I don't think he's a good enough defender to play in the Champions League. Man Utd apparently want £20m for him and no doubt he will have ludicrous wage demands too. Sadly he's just the sort of player I can see Steve Bruce chucking money at <grim>.
I think Phil Jones has lost that shine already, it's rare you ever hear him talked about in the press. And for good reason, as you said, he's not good enough. Pretty shocked they hadn't managed to shift him yet - they're already replacing his replacements in the squad.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29606
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:09 am

Might be as simple as nobody will pay his wages, similar to how we were stuck with Colback.

Jones could clearly do a job at a club lower down the league but if he’s on a 6 figure salary nobody is going to take that on.

For me I’m more surprised they let Smalling go. It’s a different league, but he was reportedly one of the best defenders in Serie A last season and surely could have given Lindelof/Maguire serious competition. That said, maybe he likes living in Rome and who could blame him.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free
Posts: 23911
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:06 pm
Location: Northumberland... so not actually a Geordie

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:53 am

Jones only signed a new four year contract last February. Apparently he is on £75k per week. I'm surprised he has played at Man Utd for so long. He looked good at Blackburn and in his first few seasons at Man Utd, but I think if Ferguson had still been there, Jones would have gone long before now. Probably to Sunderland <laugh>
Kindly deeds done for free!

Online
CIH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 am

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by CIH » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:35 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:53 am
Jones only signed a new four year contract last February. Apparently he is on £75k per week. I'm surprised he has played at Man Utd for so long. He looked good at Blackburn and in his first few seasons at Man Utd, but I think if Ferguson had still been there, Jones would have gone long before now. Probably to Sunderland <laugh>
There's a shout. That could be why he's still at man U, Sunderland's relegation(s) having a knock in effect <laugh>

I'm shocked he's still only 28

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21282
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by ALF » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:02 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:09 am
Might be as simple as nobody will pay his wages, similar to how we were stuck with Colback.

Jones could clearly do a job at a club lower down the league but if he’s on a 6 figure salary nobody is going to take that on.

For me I’m more surprised they let Smalling go. It’s a different league, but he was reportedly one of the best defenders in Serie A last season and surely could have given Lindelof/Maguire serious competition. That said, maybe he likes living in Rome and who could blame him.
Could he? This is the same situation as with plenty of players before, not good enough for a top club so a struggling club(normally Sunderland) takes the gamble on them and it turns out they just aren't good enough. Jones has had spells where he's looked decent(although I'm sure his best days in Manchester were at RB) but he's always been mistake prone and just plain clumsy.

Online
CIH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2297
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 am

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by CIH » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 pm

The fact that the fans of a wee club like Newcastle wouldn't take him says plenty.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6681
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by Colly » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:05 am

We're a mid table side with a group of fairly decent CBs, I don't think it's too surprising we don't want a player who can't make a Premier League 25 man squad, especially given the current state of defending in the league. I wouldn't take most of Arsenal and Chelsea's these days, and Man City's and Liverpool's aren't much with key players out.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29606
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:37 am

Not a transfer, but Cech has been added to Chelsea’s PL squad <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
Posts: 2467
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by Sanchino » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:24 pm

CIH wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 pm
The fact that the fans of a wee club like Newcastle wouldn't take him says plenty.
I'll take a gamble on him IF wages & transfer fee was right. Can play RB/CB/DM.. He will never be a great defender but I'm sure he'll be OK for us (mid-table side). I dunno if he'll be content sitting on the bench though.. <scratch>

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29606
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:53 am

Nile Ranger has a new club.

Spalding United.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 20637
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:07 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:53 am
Nile Ranger has a new club.

Spalding United.
The Tulips. Gangsta as f***. Brap

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
Posts: 2467
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by Sanchino » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:38 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:53 am
Nile Ranger has a new club.

Spalding United.
How much do you think he's getting paid? There level 7/8 in the pyramid..

The manager is quoted as saying "I believe he can easily play for any team in League One and most Championship clubs.'' <roll>

It'll be incredible if someone takes a punt on him again in the Football League but if he keeps his head down, shows discipline & the right attitude you never know. As a player his ability & talent is good enough for those leagues but his application, attitude & lack of discipline have cost him dearly. Wish him all the best.. <applause> <ok> <gent>

User avatar
biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free
Posts: 23911
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:06 pm
Location: Northumberland... so not actually a Geordie

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 pm

It'll be interesting to see how much trouble he can get himself into in f***ing Spalding.
Kindly deeds done for free!

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10302
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:54 am

Sanchino wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:38 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:53 am
Nile Ranger has a new club.

Spalding United.
How much do you think he's getting paid? There level 7/8 in the pyramid..

The manager is quoted as saying "I believe he can easily play for any team in League One and most Championship clubs.'' <roll>

It'll be incredible if someone takes a punt on him again in the Football League but if he keeps his head down, shows discipline & the right attitude you never know. As a player his ability & talent is good enough for those leagues but his application, attitude & lack of discipline have cost him dearly. Wish him all the best.. <applause> <ok> <gent>
It's been so long now, and he's not young anymore, so who's to say how much ability he even has left. But agreed, hope he has grown up and can make something of his last potential years as an athlete.

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 20637
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Other club transfers summer 2020

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:16 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 pm
It'll be interesting to see how much trouble he can get himself into in f***ing Spalding.
It looks like it could be nigh on impossible for him to get into trouble:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... gland.html

Post Reply