Matchday Thread: Spurs v Newcastle

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Matchday Thread: Spurs v Newcastle

Post by Colly » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:08 pm

You could change it so that use of your hands was completely legal and encouraged. That would be consistent too, and also utter bollocks.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:35 am

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:04 pm
Sanchino wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:00 pm

This. With Bruce we won't achieve anything more than relegation scraps and at best mid-table mediocrity. I thought these signings would make a change to our playing style.. but still the same old ''push back negative defensive shield.. hoof it up to a isolated Wilson to try run in behind and snatch a goal''.. this is truly terrible. A innovative and modern manager would play to our strengths and see that we don't need to play this negative style of hopeless long balls, unorganized pattern of plays and no control/intensity in the middle. Where's Fraser? Why is he not even on the bench? Get Shelvey off for Murphy.. push Miggy / Joelinton closer to Wilson and put Hayden in with Hendrick in them middle. Maybe Carroll for Joelinton later on as plan b.. but I seriously don't see us scoring with this 5-4-1 formation.. <urgh>
I don't see how you would think that they would change our playing style <scratch>

Its not like any of them are technical players that can retain possession and control the game, apart from Wilson and Lewis who are upgrades on what we had (but thats not saying much) the rest are no better than what we already have.
True. We've not a had proper technical midfield since the days of Cabaye/Wijnaldum/Ben Arfa/etc.. We seriously need to invest in a ball-playing creative box-to-box dynamo who can dictate & influence play.. basically a upgraded, faster & technical version of Shelvey. Hayden is a decent enough defensive midfielder but not exactly the most gifted in terms of passing, vision & creativity but that's not his job so yeah.. I want to see the old partnership of Longstaff-Hayden once again, I remember couple years ago under Benitez they were class or if not Hendrick / Hayden combo but no more Shelvey, bench him or don't play him, he's not mobile / active enough and just stands there pointing the finger at everyone when he's actually the issue.. as a central midfielder you need to inspire, be the engine of the team & influence / dictate the tempo of the game but Shelvey don't do that.. and his supposed ''passing range'' is very inconsistent most of the times his Hollywood / eye catching through balls / long passes never actually come off. <urgh>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 am

I think that was the idea when we went after Soumare, but he seems to be holding out on bids that don't look like they are coming. Wouldnt be shocked to see a late bid again atthe end of the week.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:47 am

A few points from the match yesterday

1) Darlow proved a lot his doubters wrong yesterday, he done very well and deservedly got Man of the match.

2) Joelinton was very good yesterday too and looks a much better player playing out on the left where he drive forward and hold things up to bring others into play, his movement was brilliant yesterday, but of course his doubters will still claim he was terrible.

3) Ritchie showed he's a good leader and thankfully he looks like staying, though he was caught out of position a few times and actually had Joelinton to thank a few times for digging him out of holes due to lack of concentration

4) Think someone pointed this out already but the amount of passes to Shelvey which went astray more due to him standing still was ridiculous, I still think on his day he's one of the best passers in the PL but he needs to stop being so lazy.

5) This links into point 2 and 3 but how much of a better team did we look when Jamal Lewis came on, he linked up very well with Joelinton and gave him more licence to get forward and cut inside which led to the free kick which led to the hand ball which led to penalty.
I'll Hazard a guess

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:10 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:47 am
A few points from the match yesterday

1) Darlow proved a lot his doubters wrong yesterday, he done very well and deservedly got Man of the match.

2) Joelinton was very good yesterday too and looks a much better player playing out on the left where he drive forward and hold things up to bring others into play, his movement was brilliant yesterday, but of course his doubters will still claim he was terrible.

3) Ritchie showed he's a good leader and thankfully he looks like staying, though he was caught out of position a few times and actually had Joelinton to thank a few times for digging him out of holes due to lack of concentration

4) Think someone pointed this out already but the amount of passes to Shelvey which went astray more due to him standing still was ridiculous, I still think on his day he's one of the best passers in the PL but he needs to stop being so lazy.

5) This links into point 2 and 3 but how much of a better team did we look when Jamal Lewis came on, he linked up very well with Joelinton and gave him more licence to get forward and cut inside which led to the free kick which led to the hand ball which led to penalty.
Well said. Joelinton was one of best performers I'll say after Darlow. Had a really good game.. his movement & positional sense was terrific. I've always been a advocate that his best position is either LW/LM or CAM/Second striker. When he was with Hoffienhim.. his best games mainly came cutting in from the left, so why we would ever think about having him as lone striker upfront I would never know? <scratch>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:21 am

Agree about Darlow, let’s see if he can maintain that level between now and the international break.

Joelinton definitely bailed Ritchie out on more than one occasion. Ritchie probably a bit rusty still, should have led with his other foot and cut out their goal, but a valuable player for us still.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 am

Joelinton somehow winning the foul for the penalty is brilliant.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:50 am

<laugh>

Tbf every team in every single game gets decisions like that, FKs that shouldn't have been given, or throw-ins that were close calls but given to the other team. It happens.

I think justice was served purely based on Matt Doherty going down holding his face near the end when all Lewis did was but a hand into his chest. Bit of Karma served up at the end for his attempts at cheating.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 am

Hojbjerg checking over his shoulder right before to obstruct his path <ski>

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:54 pm

jpg wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:33 pm
Colly wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 am

Hojbjerg checking over his shoulder right before to obstruct his path <ski>
This Hojberg knew exactly what he was doing
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Was the Ultimate Warrior style shoulder block really necessary though?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Maybe Joelinton should've gone down holding his face like Doherty did <fist>

...No, I won't let it go - cheating f***er.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:43 am

Colly wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:58 pm
Was the Ultimate Warrior style shoulder block really necessary though?
Are you really questioning Joelinton’s competence?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:25 pm

Ritchie set to be out for a few months by the sounds of it, needs surgery on his shoulder.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:58 pm

That’s a blow.

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:39 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:58 pm
That’s a blow.
Is it now? He's a squad player now imo.. he wouldn't get into our best team BUT he does bring depth & versatility, a useful asset for dead-balls, crossing, experienced & a very hard-worker but his technical abilities can are limited.. not the fastest of wingers neither the most skillful but his shooting/crossing/work-rate/versatility makes up for it so yeah will be a slight blow but not a massive one.. we got the likes of Murphy/Fraser in the wider positions & Dummet to come back for the left-hand side.. Manquillo can cover that side too if needed & worst case scenario you got Clark to cover LB. <cheers>

Wish him a speedy recovery though! <gent> <ok>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:49 am

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:39 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:58 pm
That’s a blow.
Is it now? He's a squad player now imo.. he wouldn't get into our best team BUT he does bring depth & versatility, a useful asset for dead-balls, crossing, experienced & a very hard-worker but his technical abilities can are limited.. not the fastest of wingers neither the most skillful but his shooting/crossing/work-rate/versatility makes up for it so yeah will be a slight blow but not a massive one.. we got the likes of Murphy/Fraser in the wider positions & Dummet to come back for the left-hand side.. Manquillo can cover that side too if needed & worst case scenario you got Clark to cover LB. <cheers>

Wish him a speedy recovery though! <gent> <ok>
I’d say it’s a blow still. His versatility (and ability) would come in very useful while games are coming thick and fast. If everyone was fit then maybe less of an issue but Clark and Dummett have both had long layoffs and aren’t match fit. Didn’t Clark get injured again last week?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:17 am

With ASM injury prone and Fraser clearly not match fit yet it's definitely a blow at both ends.

<perv>