Matchday Thread: Spurs v Newcastle

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Matchday Thread: Spurs v Newcastle

Post by ALF » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:41 pm

My main reason for disliking Shelvey is that he is a s**** footballer.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:44 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:40 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:36 pm
Shelvey is the worst for standing about, also did anyone see Murphy have a pop at him for talking too much, i noticed Shelvey shying away but still running his mouth and pointing where everyone should pass then 2 minutes later he does it to murphy and Murphy then shuts him down, thats instantly won me over <laugh>
That's one main reason I don't like Shelvey and it's his frequent pointing out where the ball is. He does it when he can't be arsed to join in the play. He's just plain lazy.
Yeah he reads the play to know what needs doing and then directs somebody else to do it because he can't be bothered to do it himself. Our midfield is always going to be one light with him in it. And it's not as if we benefit massively from his supposed superior range of passing.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:47 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:41 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:15 pm
It’s nice to see rules being applied consistently tbf...
Yeah same, I just posted on twitter about the handball, we have seen enough of these given this season to know that this is the rule now. So for pundits to act like its a travesty is a bit disingenuous, its like complaining that an offside goal is disallowed just because the player is a few inches offside, these are the rules like it or not.
Just because it is the rule doesn't mean it isn't a load of s***, and I'd rather pundits complain about it than just go "that's the rule".

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:50 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:44 pm
overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:40 pm

That's one main reason I don't like Shelvey and it's his frequent pointing out where the ball is. He does it when he can't be arsed to join in the play. He's just plain lazy.
Yeah he reads the play to know what needs doing and then directs somebody else to do it because he can't be bothered to do it himself. Our midfield is always going to be one light with him in it. And it's not as if we benefit massively from his supposed superior range of passing.
He's got a great Youtube highlight reel for his passing. Reality is more like the goal we conceded today, Shelvey struggles with a relatively simple pass and we get caught out.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:47 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:41 pm

Yeah same, I just posted on twitter about the handball, we have seen enough of these given this season to know that this is the rule now. So for pundits to act like its a travesty is a bit disingenuous, its like complaining that an offside goal is disallowed just because the player is a few inches offside, these are the rules like it or not.
Just because it is the rule doesn't mean it isn't a load of s***, and I'd rather pundits complain about it than just go "that's the rule".
s*** rule applied correctly. Worked for us this week, will no doubt work against us before too long. I’ll just enjoy the unexpected point.

If I’d been offered 4 points from West Ham (a), Brighton (h) and Spurs (a) I’d have been happy.

Dire football but like last season it’ll be scraping narrow wins and draws like that that keep us up.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:59 pm

A draw is a good result and I'd take 4 points from our first 3 games but there's no enjoyment at all for me when the football is as bad as this.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:23 pm

Never a pen but I'll take a much needed point like
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:26 pm

Son coming off at HT was a huge turning point too

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:31 pm

Wow, just wow. Robbery and thank you very much . Yet again the test will come next week against a stuffy Burnley. Hopefully Bruce has his tactical nous sorted for this one......oh wait 🤔
Clydeside & Tyneside

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:36 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:31 pm
Wow, just wow. Robbery and thank you very much . Yet again the test will come next week against a stuffy Burnley. Hopefully Bruce has his tactical nous sorted for this one......oh wait 🤔
Big units Burnley. Sorted.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:41 pm

He's just loving the idea of going long ball and using physicality as an excuse the dull brained flop

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:06 pm

glad i didnt watch it

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:46 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:35 pm
Bruce has stated it wasn't a penalty in his opinion and would have been livid if it had been against his team.
He looked embarrassed at full time
^^^^^ this small statement says so so much. You would think the lump would take a good look at the situation and adapt ffs.
Clydeside & Tyneside

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:15 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:46 pm
Captain Obvious wrote:

He looked embarrassed at full time
^^^^^ this small statement says so so much. You would think the lump would take a good look at the situation and adapt ffs.
You've lost me. The statement is about Bruce being embarrassed about the goal, and he was clear that he felt the penalty shouldn't have been given. How that applies to his tactics is beyond me.

I really think the Bruce hate is getting ridiculous. Yes, the Brighton result and performance was piss poor, but it followed a decent showing and great result at West Ham (who look pretty good today). Today we went to Tottenham away with several key players out which absolutely forced the formation he played. We rode our luck, Darlow played a blinder, but kept it to a one goal deficit and reaped the benefit in a flukey way at the end. It's not exactly thrilling, and the creativity on show has been poor so far, but the results are fine and the team can and will get better. Five at the back can only ever be expansive with creative CBs and we're missing Schar and Lejeune (potentially permanently) so I can't see it happening much in future, but with no Lewis or Dummett there really wasn't another option today, particularly against a good side. Only change I would have really made would be to remove Shelvey from the squad in 2018, but that's me...

Four points from three games, 9th in the league and a couple of players to come back in, I'm reasonably happy with the start.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:29 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:15 pm
seaside nipper wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:46 pm

You've lost me. The statement is about Bruce being embarrassed about the goal, and he was clear that he felt the penalty shouldn't have been given. How that applies to his tactics is beyond me.

I really think the Bruce hate is getting ridiculous. Yes, the Brighton result and performance was piss poor, but it followed a decent showing and great result at West Ham (who look pretty good today). Today we went to Tottenham away with several key players out which absolutely forced the formation he played. We rode our luck, Darlow played a blinder, but kept it to a one goal deficit and reaped the benefit in a flukey way at the end. It's not exactly thrilling, and the creativity on show has been poor so far, but the results are fine and the team can and will get better. Five at the back can only ever be expansive with creative CBs and we're missing Schar and Lejeune (potentially permanently) so I can't see it happening much in future, but with no Lewis or Dummett there really wasn't another option today, particularly against a good side. Only change I would have really made would be to remove Shelvey from the squad in 2018, but that's me...

Four points from three games, 9th in the league and a couple of players to come back in, I'm reasonably happy with the start.
That's reaching, he was on the bench and his injury was an impact one on his face so fitness wouldn't be an issue. I just think it was overly and unnecessarily negative, much like Rafa was but without the organisation and attention to detail. We go into games like we're a League 2 side rather than an established PL side with some very good players.

You're spot on regarding Shelvey, no side with him in it will ever play good football.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Spurs fans doing their nut on twitter <laugh>

You’d think a harsh decision has never gone their way...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:50 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Yeah and loads of our fans backing them up, fact is its a penalty in accordance with the rules, loads of people crying it wasnt deliberate... well thats not the rules, should we start giving offside goals because the runner didn't mean to be offside, stop giving fouls because the tackler didn't mean to take the man. They are all a bunch of fanny's.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:18 pm

ALF wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:29 pm
Colly wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:15 pm

That's reaching, he was on the bench and his injury was an impact one on his face so fitness wouldn't be an issue. I just think it was overly and unnecessarily negative, much like Rafa was but without the organisation and attention to detail. We go into games like we're a League 2 side rather than an established PL side with some very good players.
He hadn't trained all week due to the injury. Bruce spent most of last season being pilloried by fans for players accruing muscle injuries on field. He genuinely can't win with some people.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:19 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:50 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Yeah and loads of our fans backing them up, fact is its a penalty in accordance with the rules, loads of people crying it wasnt deliberate... well thats not the rules, should we start giving offside goals because the runner didn't mean to be offside, stop giving fouls because the tackler didn't mean to take the man. They are all a bunch of fanny's.
It was correct by the rules, but the point is the new rules are utterly ridiculous. I thought this yesterday, it doesn't change just because it benefits us.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:04 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:19 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:50 pm

It was correct by the rules, but the point is the new rules are utterly ridiculous. I thought this yesterday, it doesn't change just because it benefits us.
For years everyone has been crying out for consistency and so far with these rules we are getting that. Its clear that people just like something to moan about.