Newcastle Loan Watch 2020/21

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:38 am

Notable loans

Lejeune - Alaves

Woodman - Swansea

Watts - Plymouth Argyle

Muto - Eibar

Sorensen - Almere City

Lejuene played 90 mins for Alaves at the weekend, I'm still a bit surprised we let him go with Schar, Dummett and Clark still having injury issues meaning we played Hayden in a back three at times yesterday.
Last edited by Bodacious Benny on Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Newcastle Loan Watch 2020/21

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Agreed. For all the talk of how much CB depth we have, Clark, Schar and Lejeune have been injury prone, and so rarely were they actually all healthy at once.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:41 am

I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:10 am

Sorensen is another one that I don't think will ever make it for us. His handful of loan moves haven't been anything special (or really anything at all) and I've never got the feeling that he's a really exciting prospect. I'm probably being massively critical here and he is only 21, but at that age I'd expect him to be at least looking good and getting games at a half decent level.

Hopefully this loan move will be good for him though <ok>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:15 am

Yeah, I know some players mature later but given he seems to have had the same problems at several clubs on loan it's hard to see him becoming a PL striker. He could do an Ivan Toney and do well in the lower leagues in his early twenties and play at a good level, but I doubt a loan to the Dutch second division will tell us much about Sorensen. Although if he tanks there then there's really no hope <laugh>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:59 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:10 am
Sorensen is another one that I don't think will ever make it for us. His handful of loan moves haven't been anything special (or really anything at all) and I've never got the feeling that he's a really exciting prospect. I'm probably being massively critical here and he is only 21, but at that age I'd expect him to be at least looking good and getting games at a half decent level.

Hopefully this loan move will be good for him though <ok>.
I think that's fair, unfortunately. His loan moves have all been awful, going to direct teams and being put out wide won't help anyone. 2 years ago he was knocking on the door of the first team and now he isn't even doing much for the reserves.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:27 pm

He's 21 and made 14 senior appearances and never scored a goal <erk>

HB Koge - 5 (0)
Newcastle - 0 (0)
Blackpool - 1 (0)
Carlisle - 8 (0)

At the very least, hopefully he can get a seasons worth of football at this new team and get a few goals under his belt.

He has scored 2 in 2 for Denmark u21s which is more encouraging.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:06 pm

People put too much stock in good performances at U21 level. Its nothing compared to Mens football at even Vanarama North level. We need to be trying to get youngsters on loan at a much lower level to start with rather than sending them straight to a League club.

Wish him nothing but the best though.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:08 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:06 pm
People put too much stock in good performances at U21 level. Its nothing compared to Mens football at even Vanarama North level. We need to be trying to get youngsters on loan at a much lower level to start with rather than sending them straight to a League club.

They need to go to clubs where they will actually fit in as well. Armstrong having 2 loan spells at clubs that play direct football cost us a good player.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:08 pm

He went on loan to Carlisle and couldn't even get onto the bench. Good luck to him though, I hope it works out for him.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:27 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:08 pm
He went on loan to Carlisle and couldn't even get onto the bench. Good luck to him though, I hope it works out for him.
Was this not one of the reasons we brought a Loan Manager <shello> in? I'm sure there were a few players who were being loaned out and then hardly playing.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:12 pm

ALF wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:08 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:

They need to go to clubs where they will actually fit in as well. Armstrong having 2 loan spells at clubs that play direct football cost us a good player.
Oh absolutely but sometimes even that's hard as the manager may get sacked 2 months into a 6 month spell.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:35 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:

Agree, tho even that doesn't work a lot of the time. Adam Campbell went to semi-pro teams like Gateshead and St. Mirren (5 lower league loan spells in total when with us) and it didn't help him so also depends on the player.

He's doing alright for Darlington now though so found his level <laugh>

Longstaff's loan to Blackpool is one of our most successful loan deals of recent years. We need to get Matty a good loan move to the right team around League One level as he desperately needs real match experience.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:07 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:35 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:

Agree, tho even that doesn't work a lot of the time. Adam Campbell went to semi-pro teams like Gateshead and St. Mirren (5 lower league loan spells in total when with us) and it didn't help him so also depends on the player.

Longstaff's loan to Blackpool is one of our most successful loan deals of recent years. We need to get Matty a good loan move to the right team around League One level as he desperately needs real match experience.
I think Matty could cope with the Championship to be honest.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:23 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:35 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:

Heed were and still are pro <fist>

Agree though it's a case by case basis. Longstaff did well at Blackpool but Newton did well at St Mirren and now is struggling. Its hard to predict but sometimes it helps getting them to do the hard yards in non league mens football early, we have Shields, Darlo, Spartans, Heed etc plenty of options

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:01 am

Lejeune got another 90 minutes under his belt for alaves yesterday, 2 clean sheets in 2 games for him.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:01 am
Lejeune got another 90 minutes under his belt for alaves yesterday, 2 clean sheets in 2 games for him.
But instead we'll probably today loan in a lesser CB who too will get crocked before November arrives.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:28 am

Still a move that boggles the mind

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:51 am

I think it's a tricky one. Look at it without context and it's insane, but consider the length of time he's spent injured in the last three seasons and usually at the start of the season and it starts to make more sense. Warmer climate, slower paced league, might be just what he needs to get fit. Or frankly it might just be us cutting our losses after 40 odd appearances in three seasons.

I think he's an absolutely fantastic player, but he needs to get fit.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:52 am

Colly wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:51 am
I think it's a tricky one. Look at it without context and it's insane, but consider the length of time he's spent injured in the last three seasons and usually at the start of the season and it starts to make more sense. Warmer climate, slower paced league, might be just what he needs to get fit. Or frankly it might just be us cutting our losses after 40 odd appearances in three seasons.

I think he's an absolutely fantastic player, but he needs to get fit.
I think he's comfortably our best defender when he's fit and on form. Unfortunately though at 29 it seems more likely that he's moved with a view to a permanent transfer.