Armstrong and Toney

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Re: Armstrong and Toney

Post by Speedo » Sun May 09, 2021 3:42 pm

CIH wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 1:01 pm
Blackburn's manager has come out and essentially said Armstrong is for sale. Come and give us money so we can rebuild our squad. Reports that he'd cost "only" 16m, plenty of prem clubs would take the gamble at that price. 29 goals this season. West Ham strongly linked as well of us. Would be a more realistic alternative to Abraham. If we continue with the current formation, he could provide cover/rotation with both Wilson and ASM as no doubt both will be out at times to injury.
Plus he’s cost us like 20% less because of his sell on clause. Would be a great signing IMO, Wilson, Gayle and Armstrong would be great strength in depth.
I had the first custom w***

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun May 09, 2021 3:44 pm

I think Armstrong is a perfect replacement for Gayle, my only worry is the club being stubborn and not wanting to pay for someone we sold for 1-2m only a few seasons ago, but with the reported 40% sell on clause we have a massive advantage and would be stupid not to put £9-10m on the table.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Mon May 10, 2021 7:56 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:44 pm
I think Armstrong is a perfect replacement for Gayle, my only worry is the club being stubborn and not wanting to pay for someone we sold for 1-2m only a few seasons ago, but with the reported 40% sell on clause we have a massive advantage and would be stupid not to put £9-10m on the table.
This. Even if Gayle stays.. Armstrong, Gayle, Joelinton is great strength in depth. Basically more of a Carroll replacement (obvs diff style of play). Armstrong is quick, technically gifted, versatile (can play no.10/out-wide or no.9) & hard-working. He's 24 only with bags of potential.. I think by the time he reaches his peak (27 - 29) he'll be a established Prem striker and I hope it's with us. The worst thing would be to see him playing in Europe & smashing it with West Ham next season. <urgh>

I would like Toney too but he's out of our reach I think? How much is his value now.. I have a feeling West Ham will pounce for either Toney or Armstrong. Mid 20s, English & yet to hit there peaks. Imagine we kept them both instead of spending 40mil on a average Brazilian second striker*.. what a frontline we would have <love>

*Saying this.. Joelinton has had a much improved season. He's decent & there's defo a player in there but just not worth 40mil.. if we paid 10-15mil I don't think people would care or get onto him as much.. even 20mil at most but 40mil was a joke.

Say if Brentford got promoted.. would they accept 15-20mil +Joelinton for Toney to come back? <whistle>

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Thu May 13, 2021 8:06 am

always said we shudnt hav got rid of either players, u cud see there potential and i called it. right about joelinton too there mate, hes definitely improved n found his feet last few monts can only hope he carrys on cos hes startin to look capable

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat May 22, 2021 1:34 pm

Another pen for Toney today to help take Brentford to the playoff final.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue May 25, 2021 8:29 pm

If we were to sign Armstrong it can't be as a back up. We'd need to move away from the 5-3-2 and play a more forward thinking formation.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 25, 2021 9:15 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:29 pm
If we were to sign Armstrong it can't be as a back up. We'd need to move away from the 5-3-2 and play a more forward thinking formation.
Is the formation the issue, or how it's executed? That formation can have attacking intent depending on how everyone plays their roles.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue May 25, 2021 9:47 pm

In this current formation wouldn't he suit the role ASM has been playing? I can only see us paying a decent amount for a striker if we cashed in on maxi.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue May 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:15 pm
ALF wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:29 pm
Is the formation the issue, or how it's executed? That formation can have attacking intent depending on how everyone plays their roles.
It's been alright recently to be fair. Like CIH said he could play the ASM role but in an ideal world we keep him.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 26, 2021 7:40 am

Yeah the formation works if it’s attacking wing backs as we’ve been playing since Ritchie came back into the team, and Murphy on the right.

It’s a horrendous formation when it’s Dummett and Krafth as we’re basically playing 5 central defenders and usually 2 defensive minded midfielders, so whenever we attack it’s literally 2 or 3 players trying to do it all on their own. If we stick with attacking fullbacks I don’t mind the formation. Most of our centre backs also seem more comfortable in a back three.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 26, 2021 3:26 pm

Yeah our wing backs have moved to being more advanced and attacking in last few months. We play more of 3-4-2-1 at times. Now I'll probably get called out for this but maybe putting Saint Maximin into one of those wing back/wide roles might work wonders, he does most of his damage when he picks up the ball deep and runs at the opposition.
I'll Hazard a guess

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed May 26, 2021 4:06 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:26 pm
Yeah our wing backs have moved to being more advanced and attacking in last few months. We play more of 3-4-2-1 at times. Now I'll probably get called out for this but maybe putting Saint Maximin into one of those wing back/wide roles might work wonders, he does most of his damage when he picks up the ball deep and runs at the opposition.
I'd go to 4231 to achieve that, Gets Almiron in his preferred position too (or you could play Armstrong there...)

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed May 26, 2021 4:08 pm

Beatski wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:06 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:26 pm
I'd go to 4231 to achieve that, Gets Almiron in his preferred position too (or you could play Armstrong there...)
Besides, having another option to ASM and Almiron would be good (I suppose Fraser was meant to address that). When either is missing there's a glaring void in the side.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed May 26, 2021 4:27 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:08 pm
Beatski wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:06 pm

Besides, having another option to ASM and Almiron would be good (I suppose Fraser was meant to address that). When either is missing there's a glaring void in the side.
I'd like to see what Murphy can do on the right given his recent form. (Also, Armstrong can play out wide too)

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed May 26, 2021 4:46 pm

Part exchange to Brentford if they lose the playoffs for Toney? <laugh>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Thu May 27, 2021 12:30 pm

Beatski wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:27 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:08 pm

I'd like to see what Murphy can do on the right given his recent form. (Also, Armstrong can play out wide too)
This. Murphy deserves a chance further forward even upfront I'll try him as he'll cause problems with his pace & direct running. I'll eventually like us to love to a 4231 so we can integrate everyone in there natural positions but for us to do that we need a strong, athletic & dominate type midfielder who can control games & take them by the scruff of the neck as I don't trust Shelvey in a 2 man midfield. The current system works perfect because it accommodates everyone & it enables them to turn there limitations into strengths such as Murphy in the RWB position it suits him to a peach as he can use his pace & energy up & down the wing without having to just play as a out and out full-back in a four man defence were you got to concentrate more on defending. Miggy seems more at home in that midfield role were he can have more of the ball, use his hard-working ability to attack & defend box-to-box & use his pace on the counter.. suits Ritchie playing LWB too so he can cross from deep & use his stamina/work-rate to bomb up & down the left-hand side. ASM while not being his natural position looks explosive at times in that striker role were he has freedom to cut inside, go on the outside, inside, twist n turn & take more shots at goals.

We should stick to this formation... just need a Willock replacement or Willock himself to come back & keep the same wing-backs.. maybe Jetro for Ritchie (he's done good but age will eventually catch up to him & he's never been the quickest & Jetro will give us more technical ability, dribbling & pace). A upgrade on Shelvey like Chamberlain/etc would be ideal too.. to partner Hayden & even then a upgrade on Hayden would be great.. but we won't get both this year I'll rather get a upgrade on Shelvey & then the season after on Hayden.. as I think if we want to challenge for the top-half & have European ambitions ( :bandit: ) then we need more quality in the middle.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat May 29, 2021 2:16 pm

Woodman concedes a penalty in the playoff final and Toney coverts it.

1-0 Brentford.

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Mon May 31, 2021 7:21 am

give woodman a season behind dub then hav woodman in from then on. hes real quality and wed be stupid to mess this up