Match thread: Newcastle v Everton

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Re: Match thread: Newcastle v Everton

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:23 pm

I didn't watch the match and have only seen the highlights, but the only criticism I can make is that Fernandez maybe should have done better for their goal.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:32 pm

Speedo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:20 pm
ALF wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:48 pm

Think it's the 'free role' that we've given ASM that's the problem. It's basically just a second striker which makes him completely ineffective. His best work is driving in from the left wing and he's not getting anywhere near that position.
Agreed. This system suits us much better - but (so far) at the cost of ASM. I think the answer is switching more to a 3-4-3, Rafa style, with Almiron pushed on a bit and ASM pulled back a bit, with both playing fluid roles so they can kinda pop up wherever is most dangerous.
I like the idea of that. Maybe something like:
SpoilerShow
<darlow>
<murph> <lascelles> <fernandez> <schar> <lewis>
<hendrick> <longstaff>
<almiron> --------- <saintmaximin>
<wilson>
With the wingbacks pushing up to provide width as well where needed (Lewis has looked really good on that left hand side so far). Almiron has the work rate to drop deeper into midfield if we are on the back foot and an extra body is required.
SpoilerShow
<darlow>
<lascelles> <fernandez> <schar>
<murph> -------------------------------------- <lewis>
<hendrick> <longstaff>
<wilson>
Last edited by Valentino's fast feet on Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:37 pm

CIH wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:32 pm
Speedo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:20 pm

Agreed. This system suits us much better - but (so far) at the cost of ASM. I think the answer is switching more to a 3-4-3, Rafa style, with Almiron pushed on a bit and ASM pulled back a bit, with both playing fluid roles so they can kinda pop up wherever is most dangerous.
<darlow>
<hendrick> <longstaff>
<wilson>
With the wingbacks pushing up to provide width as well where needed (Lewis has looked really good on that left hand side so far). Almiron has the work rate to drop deeper into midfield if we are on the back foot and an extra body is required.
Think that's the way to go at the minute. I wouldn't mind seeing us revert to a back 4 soon though.
<darlow>
<murph> <schar> <fernandez> <lewis>
<longstaff> <hayden>
<fraser> <almiron> <saintmaximin>
<wilson>
Obviously Dubravka to take over when he's back. There's certainly question marks over whether Murphy could play as a RB in a 4 and also over whether Schar can play in a 4. Hayden is limited and I wouldn't mind seeing Matty Longstaff force his way into CM alongside Sean but for now Hayden is probably the safe pick. Joe to get games from the bench and hopefully push the front 4 for a place.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:39 pm

ALF wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:37 pm
CIH wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:32 pm

<darlow>
<hendrick> <longstaff>
<wilson>
Think that's the way to go at the minute. I wouldn't mind seeing us revert to a back 4 soon though.
<darlow>
<murph> <schar> <fernandez> <lewis>
<longstaff> <hayden>
<fraser> <almiron> <saintmaximin>
<wilson>
Obviously Dubravka to take over when he's back. There's certainly question marks over whether Murphy could play as a RB in a 4 and also over whether Schar can play in a 4. Hayden is limited and I wouldn't mind seeing Matty Longstaff force his way into CM alongside Sean but for now Hayden is probably the safe pick. Joe to get games from the bench and hopefully push the front 4 for a place.
Haha you'd quoted my post before I'd finished f***ing about with the formatting <laugh> I also like what you've put up there as well. It's a good problem to have, different players to come in and make use of different tactics depending on opposition. Hopefully strategy steve agrees.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:45 pm

I think realistically in a 4 Murphy will come out for Krafth, and I'm sure against top sides he'll come out for Manquillo if we're playing a 5. Also not convinced by Schar in a 4. But delighted to see Shelvey out in all cases - we're just worse with him in the side. He needs a dominating CM like Diame along side him, otherwise he's just a liability.
I had the first custom w***

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:47 pm

I think we look crap with a back four. I prefer the wingbacks and it’s well suited to Lewis and Murphy. So long as the midfield has balance I think it works.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:14 pm

Speedo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:45 pm
I think realistically in a 4 Murphy will come out for Krafth, and I'm sure against top sides he'll come out for Manquillo if we're playing a 5. Also not convinced by Schar in a 4. But delighted to see Shelvey out in all cases - we're just worse with him in the side. He needs a dominating CM like Diame along side him, otherwise he's just a liability.
The only thing I will say is who are the top sides? Liverpool conceded 7 against Aston Villa, City conceded 5 against Leicester, Chelsea have drawn 3-3 with West Brom and Southampton, Spurs blew a 3 goal lead against West Ham, Man United are 15th and Arsenal are only 1 point above us. Everyone is beatable this season.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:15 pm

True, this will be one of the most unpredictable seasons ever. I’d actually like Spurs to win it.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:15 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:47 pm
I think we look crap with a back four. I prefer the wingbacks and it’s well suited to Lewis and Murphy. So long as the midfield has balance I think it works.
I think we'll look better if we actually play the 4231 above. Gets all of our best attacking players in their natural positions and Longstaff/Hayden has enough grit in midfield to work as a two, plus they'd have Almiron tracking back. Shame you'd probably have to drop Murphy for it to work, as his performances don't warrant it, though if we were a better more attacking team we'd probably get away with it.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:29 pm

I was just wondering long term whether it'd be a fight between Woodman and Darlow. Just checked and saw that Darlow is 30! I thought he was about 25 <laugh>

Definitely been impressed with Darlow since he came into the team. Think he's made one error that I can remember but given the amount of shots we face on average each match that's going to happen. Pulled off some great saves and he seems to be playing with a lot of confidence.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:45 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:29 pm
I was just wondering long term whether it'd be a fight between Woodman and Darlow. Just checked and saw that Darlow is 30! I thought he was about 25 <laugh>

Definitely been impressed with Darlow since he came into the team. Think he's made one error that I can remember but given the amount of shots we face on average each match that's going to happen. Pulled off some great saves and he seems to be playing with a lot of confidence.
He's a good keeper but his distribution is rubbish. That's Dubravka's undervalued skill, and the reason Rafa bought him in the first place.
I had the first custom w***

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:06 pm

Darlow has done well and honestly should be getting an England call up this week but that's mainly down to a lack of in form alternatives. He's a good shot stopper but that should really be the bare minimum expected from a PL goalkeeper.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:55 pm

I’d rather a good shot stopper with poor distribution than a bad shot stopper with good distribution tbf <laugh>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:27 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:55 pm
I’d rather a good shot stopper with poor distribution than a bad shot stopper with good distribution tbf <laugh>
Poor Matz Sels. :(

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:10 pm

ALF wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:06 pm
Darlow has done well and honestly should be getting an England call up this week but that's mainly down to a lack of in form alternatives. He's a good shot stopper but that should really be the bare minimum expected from a PL goalkeeper.
Is he not Welsh?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:40 pm

CIH wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:10 pm
ALF wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:06 pm
Is he not Welsh?
Correct. He is indeed not Welsh.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:47 pm

Colly wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:40 pm
CIH wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:10 pm

Is he not Welsh?
Correct. He is indeed not Welsh.
<laugh>

He has Welsh roots, for some reason thought he had at least one cap.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:20 pm

Played 8 games for Newport County in 2012, probably makes him eligible for a Wales Call-up <laugh>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:52 pm

His grandad was Ken Leek. More than a bit before my time, but had 13 caps for Wales and featured for them in the world cup.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:02 am

CIH wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:52 pm
His grandad was Ken Leek. More than a bit before my time, but had 13 caps for Wales and featured for them in the world cup.
Ah. The renowned terrible plumber. To this day his legacy lives on; when when any botched pipe work fails, his name is lamented in households across the land with "f*** Ken Leek"