Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant
Posts: 9948
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:57 pm

The joy of no crowds is the insight into the genius level instructions from Bruce on the side line. The majestic shout of Go on Allan, Go on Allan! Or the Go on Miggy, Go on Miggy! And the sometimes used Go on Joe, Go on Joe! I dont know how he comes up with these next level instructions. Inspirational!

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10312
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:00 pm

ALF wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:53 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:45 pm

At least clear it? It's a systematic problem, sure. But so many of our players are so slow and ponderous on the ball. Or they treat it as a hot potato. They don't know where to be to be available to their teammates, they look nervous and aimless once they do stumble upon it. I want a CM that wants the ball at every opportunity, knows went to pass or create space with a dribble, and can move the ball up the field. Ours wait for the ball to come to them then pivot and either play it back to the CBs or just hoof it forward or out wide.
There's plenty of midfielders out there that would have hoofed it clear, like you say we've got plenty that treat it as a hot potato. Controlling it and looking to pass it out shows he's confident on the ball, if we can get him on the ball 50 yards higher up the pitch then there's potential.

Ours are too deep from the off because we're playing a deep, flat back 5. There's no space to come and get the ball because the opposition strikers don't need to press our defence. They can just sit on the midfielders and block those passing lanes. It inevitably goes wide and our wing backs pump it down the line as the opposition wingers close them. Or they go back to Darlow who aimlessly hoofs it to just short of the halfway line. We need to start playing on the front foot, we have the players to do it.
Well yes, in that case he should have hoofed it clear, not taken a couple touches until it was taken off him and scored with. Everything else I posted was a broader criticism of our midfielders - not a response to that play/goal. But I'm not going to take that gaff as a reason to credit his confidence on the ball.

But completely agree about the formation and tactics that put extra pressure on everyone from our fullbacks through midfield - and just serves to exacerbate their weaknesses.

User avatar
originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:19 am
Location: Greater Manchester

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by originallad » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:00 pm

We weren't great. Southampton weren't either but they were better than us. We deserved to lose.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
Posts: 2474
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Sanchino » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:01 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:45 pm
ALF wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:40 pm


What do you expect midfielders to do when they have no options?
At least clear it? It's a systematic problem, sure. But so many of our players are so slow and ponderous on the ball. Or they treat it as a hot potato. They don't know where to be to be available to their teammates, they look nervous and aimless once they do stumble upon it. I want a CM that wants the ball at every opportunity, knows when to pass or create space with a dribble, and can move the ball up the field. Ours wait for the ball to come to them then pivot and either play it back to the CBs or just hoof it forward or out wide.
This.. Cabaye's available on a free. Wilshire anyone?... <whistle>

In all seriousness we've missed a quality (mobile) ball-playing CM who's comfortable in possession & has great technical ability ( dribbling, fast, brave, strong) for years now.. Maybe Merino could have been that if he wasn't so unsettled? Jonjo's 1 good game in 5 is just not cutting it & his technical ability may be decent but he's not pacey / skillful enough to be that midfielder we require.. we need consistency, quality & an engine in the middle to drive us forward & put us on the front foot not passing it backwards, sideways, hoofing it, losing it, making mistakes.. If we want to be a top half side we need class in the middle not just plodders & grafters.

Dreadful performance.. 2nd half was actually worst than the 1st. Could it be time to go back to a back four & get Manquillo/Dummet back on the fold? Lewis at first looked solid & quick.. now at times he looks ponderous, has a mistake in him & I don't know if he should play on the left hand side with ASM as someone mentioned we will get destroyed down that side.. Bruce needs to just keep things simple.. PLAY A 4231 WITH EVERY PLAYER IN THERE NATURAL POSITION!! Show some bravery & attacking intent.. for crying out loud <erk> <urgh>

Darlow
Manquillo Lascelles Fernandez Dummet
Longstaff Hayden
Fraser Miggy ASM
Wilson

We need a change in tactics & formation. I don't want to see the same 5-3-2 against Chelsea as if we play like we did today we will just get destroyed by Werner & co.

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21292
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by ALF » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:07 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:00 pm
ALF wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:53 pm


There's plenty of midfielders out there that would have hoofed it clear, like you say we've got plenty that treat it as a hot potato. Controlling it and looking to pass it out shows he's confident on the ball, if we can get him on the ball 50 yards higher up the pitch then there's potential.

Ours are too deep from the off because we're playing a deep, flat back 5. There's no space to come and get the ball because the opposition strikers don't need to press our defence. They can just sit on the midfielders and block those passing lanes. It inevitably goes wide and our wing backs pump it down the line as the opposition wingers close them. Or they go back to Darlow who aimlessly hoofs it to just short of the halfway line. We need to start playing on the front foot, we have the players to do it.
Well yes, in that case he should have hoofed it clear, not taken a couple touches until it was taken off him and scored with. Everything else I posted was a broader criticism of our midfielders - not a response to that play/goal. But I'm not going to take that gaff as a reason to credit his confidence on the ball.

But completely agree about the formation and tactics that put extra pressure on everyone from our fullbacks through midfield - and just serves to exacerbate their weaknesses.
Yeah 100% it has to be cleared in that situation. But he's got halfway through the motion of making a pass before realising 7 of his team mates are in a horizontal line to him and 2 are 50 yards away. It's poor decision making in that situation but both errors came from there being no midfield. It transitions from the back 8 to the front 2 with a 50 yard gap.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6699
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Colly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:10 pm

ALF wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:54 pm
Colly wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:46 pm


An 8 year old knows you clear that rather than try to dribble it out.
Good job he didn't try to dribble it out.
f***ing hell. Dawdle about on the edge of the area then.

User avatar
krully
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5049
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:14 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by krully » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:18 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:57 pm
The joy of no crowds is the insight into the genius level instructions from Bruce on the side line. The majestic shout of Go on Allan, Go on Allan! Or the Go on Miggy, Go on Miggy! And the sometimes used Go on Joe, Go on Joe! I dont know how he comes up with these next level instructions. Inspirational!
Glad I'm not the only one noticing our tactical genius on the by-line

User avatar
Blue & Maroon
Final Nail
Final Nail
Posts: 11155
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: York

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Utter s****, no plan, no heart , no threat.

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21292
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by ALF » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:21 pm

Do we think we're the only team that play this badly or do we just notice it more because we care a little bit?

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6699
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Colly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:22 pm

ALF wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:21 pm
Do we think we're the only team that play this badly or do we just notice it more because we care a little bit?
Most shots faced, most lots of other things too. We are garbage.

User avatar
krully
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5049
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:14 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by krully » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:25 pm

The fact we struggled to string 3 passes together is shocking

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
Posts: 2474
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Sanchino » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:30 pm

Would anyone take Eddie Howe? Not just because the Wilson & Fraser connection.. but he'll get us playing good football & give us some attacking intent & a positive attacking mentality.. we have talented footballers but with this dinosaur of a manager we won't ever achieve nothing. The only reason we'll survive this season is due to other teams being worse than us & once in a while we'll get the odd lucky result out of nowhere, couple draws here n there & couple grinding close wins. We have attackers with guile, pace, flair, skill & finishing why not utilize to the best of our abilities? Our strongest team barring injuries/form should be in the top 10.. not scraping by & doing mid-table/lower half yoyoing'..fighting for survival, etc.
Last edited by Sanchino on Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21292
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by ALF » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:30 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:22 pm
ALF wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:21 pm
Do we think we're the only team that play this badly or do we just notice it more because we care a little bit?
Most shots faced, most lots of other things too. We are garbage.
Good point <grim>

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21292
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by ALF » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:32 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:30 pm
Would anyone take Eddie Howe? Not just because the Wilson & Fraser connection.. but he'll get us playing good football & give us some attacking intent & a positive attacking mentality.. we have talented footballers but with this dinosaur of a manager we won't ever achieve nothing. The only reason we'll survive this season is due to other teams being worse than us & once in a while we'll get the odd lucky result out of nowhere, couple draws here n there & couple grinding close wins. We have attackers with guile, pace, flair, skill & finishing why not utilize to the best of our abilities? Our strongest team barring injuries/form should be in the top 10.. not scraping by & doing mid-table/lower half yoyoing'..fighting for survival, etc.
Yes. Although at this point I'd take Eddie The Eagle.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6699
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Colly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:39 pm

I'd have Eddie Large and he died in the first Covid wave.

User avatar
Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Posts: 9152
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: London

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Speedo » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:40 pm



Two whole days...
I had the first custom w***

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
Posts: 2474
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Sanchino » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:58 pm

Speedo wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:40 pm


Two whole days...
Awful negative management. Instead of worrying about your opponents press for two days he should have focused on attacking intent, creating chances, positive fluid patterns of play with the ball, positional sense, if Plan A doesn't work then there Plan B, etc..

OK the mistakes we did our own downfall but that doesn't change the fact we were piss poor with no threat, no plan b.. where is there even plan a? Our passing & patterns of play seem to always be the same.. if not hoof it up field then it's sideways, back to defense, Darlow.. hoooof again and repeat until we ride our luck, capitalize on a error/mistake/set-piece or actually put in a decent cross/play + we score.. but 10 goals in 8 games says it all... need to do better. I hope Bruce comes back refreshed and ready to make some serious changes in terms of tactics & playing on the front foot. I highly doubt it.. but if Pigs could fly then.. :bandit: <whistle> <urgh>
Last edited by Sanchino on Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3499
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Hjl » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:00 pm

Well that was shyte

User avatar
Beatski
Punderful
Punderful
Posts: 22977
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: The Dangerzone

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by Beatski » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:04 pm

Speedo wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:40 pm


Two whole days...
So Bruce's tactics are the equivalent of last minute homework at school. And the student isn't exactly top set to start with

seaside nipper
Bruce's Bacon
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 11:34 am
Location: West of Scotland by the sea

Re: Match Thread: Southampton v Newcastle

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:44 am

Just amazing how Bruce heaps praise on Southampton ....... as a great team !! Seriously ???
No wonder we approach most games in a contain and respect the opponents at all costs attitude.
It’s truly a pathetic approach to game planning
Clydeside & Tyneside

Post Reply