WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6699
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Colly » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:21 pm
Bloke in the flat above me is a wolves fan and whenever they’re on TV literally all he does for 90 mins is shout “come on, come on”. I presume he’s watching the match anyway.
Is it Gary Glitter?

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29655
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:21 am

Colly wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:31 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:21 pm
Bloke in the flat above me is a wolves fan and whenever they’re on TV literally all he does for 90 mins is shout “come on, come on”. I presume he’s watching the match anyway.
Is it Gary Glitter?
<laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29655
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:33 am

Just seen that Villa won 3-0 at Arsenal last night, it's such a mad season that I'm not even surprised. Someone I work with is a Villa fan and I emailed him on Friday saying that no result in that game would surprise me. There isn't a dominant team (or teams) this season, most teams on their day can and are walking away with points from games where you'd traditionally expect them to lose, and lots of teams are great on week then crap the next. Villa have won away at Leicester, smashed Liverpool got thumped by Southampton (final score line flattered Villa) and Leeds, then beat Arsenal.

Pundits have been waxing lyrical over Leeds yet they're sat one place and one point below us, capable of playing fantastic free flowing football and pulling off some decent wins but equally don't seem to have another approach and have been comfortably beaten by teams like Palace and seem incapable of defending.

Of the 'big teams' nobody has been consistent. Chelsea look to have gotten their act together now that Ziyech is in the team and Thiago Silva and Mendy have brought some organisation and ability in defence so they look less naïve then they did earlier this season, Spurs have turned in some good performances after a stodgy start and with a front three of Kane / Son / Bale will win a lot of games, perhaps their next match v Man C will tell us where they really are? Man C have stuttered without Jesus and Aguero for most of the season, Arsenal have won 4 and lost 4 so as Jekyll and Hyde as you can get (another season of EUROPA for them as can't see them getting top 4) and Man Utd not dissimilar though they did get a good win at Goodison on Saturday and have WBA after the international break.

I think that ultimately Liverpool, Man C and Chelsea will get top 4 again, but maybe there is a spot open for someone else to gate-crash. It could be Leicester but they're very reliant on Vardy not getting injured, Southampton been very good but you'd fancy them to drop off, Everton with everyone back fit and from suspension looked good earlier this season.

At the bottom end of the table it looks a bit more predictable. WBA fought hard v Spurs but have been awful, Fulham not much better. Sheffield Utd just haven't started and have no goals in them, Burnley too but Dyche has been there before and got them out of it. I'd say WBA and Fulham are certs to go down, then it's either Sheffield Utd or Burnley.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free
Posts: 23918
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:06 pm
Location: Northumberland... so not actually a Geordie

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:32 am

Leeds is a difficult one to call. They play some really nice football, but have also conceded 4 goals on three occasions already this season. They also rely very heavily on Bamford for goals and if he was to have a spell out, they would probably struggle. We've seen teams come up and do this before, like Blackpool. They were 8th around Christmas and everyone was piping off Holloway and the team, but they finished 19th.
Kindly deeds done for free!

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29655
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:47 am

Yeah, I think that Leeds have a better overall team than Blackpool but if palace are scoring 4 goals against you then you know you’ve got problems. That said, you may only need early/mid 30 points to stay up this season and they’ve got 10 already.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free
Posts: 23918
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:06 pm
Location: Northumberland... so not actually a Geordie

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:59 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:47 am
Yeah, I think that Leeds have a better overall team than Blackpool but if palace are scoring 4 goals against you then you know you’ve got problems. That said, you may only need early/mid 30 points to stay up this season and they’ve got 10 already.
That's how many Blackpool had after 8 matches too <laugh>. They had scored 13 and conceded 18, whereas Leeds have scored 14 and conceded 17.
Kindly deeds done for free!

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21292
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by ALF » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:15 am

They're relying on Bamford for goals and he was inconsistent in the Championship. There's a chance he's improved massively but there's also a possibility that this is just a purple patch. Bielsa is a great coach but I do worry about Leeds, they've conceded the joint most goals along with West Brom(1 more than Liverpool) and they have a tough run of games coming up.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6699
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Colly » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:19 am

While I agree that Bamford is important have we really seen what happens if he doesn't play? He's been written off as Championship at best for years, but now playing in a good system hes thriving, I'd imagine Bielsa has the nous to change things if he's missing.

My point is that I think Leeds without Bamford are more likely to survive than we would be without Wilson, and we're all very aware of what that looks like.

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21292
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by ALF » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:20 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:33 am
Of the 'big teams' nobody has been consistent. Chelsea look to have gotten their act together now that Ziyech is in the team and Thiago Silva and Mendy have brought some organisation and ability in defence so they look less naïve then they did earlier this season
I've seen him play once but Ziyech might just be my favourite player in the league. Makes the game look so easy and if he can stay fit and on form he could have a similar impact at Chelsea to KDB at City.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29655
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:29 am

ALF wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:20 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:33 am
Of the 'big teams' nobody has been consistent. Chelsea look to have gotten their act together now that Ziyech is in the team and Thiago Silva and Mendy have brought some organisation and ability in defence so they look less naïve then they did earlier this season
I've seen him play once but Ziyech might just be my favourite player in the league. Makes the game look so easy and if he can stay fit and on form he could have a similar impact at Chelsea to KDB at City.
Yeah I remember seeing him a couple of times in the CL for Ajax and he’s great to watch. Can’t wait for us to face him after the international break <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29655
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:31 am

Colly wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:19 am
While I agree that Bamford is important have we really seen what happens if he doesn't play? He's been written off as Championship at best for years, but now playing in a good system hes thriving, I'd imagine Bielsa has the nous to change things if he's missing.

My point is that I think Leeds without Bamford are more likely to survive than we would be without Wilson, and we're all very aware of what that looks like.
I think us without Wilson would survive purely on the “there are 3 worse teams” basis.

When Rodrigo is up to speed it’ll be interesting to see what he can do, isn’t he Spain’s number 9?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21292
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by ALF » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:04 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:31 am
Colly wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:19 am
While I agree that Bamford is important have we really seen what happens if he doesn't play? He's been written off as Championship at best for years, but now playing in a good system hes thriving, I'd imagine Bielsa has the nous to change things if he's missing.

My point is that I think Leeds without Bamford are more likely to survive than we would be without Wilson, and we're all very aware of what that looks like.
I think us without Wilson would survive purely on the “there are 3 worse teams” basis.

When Rodrigo is up to speed it’ll be interesting to see what he can do, isn’t he Spain’s number 9?
He's played regularly for Spain since the end of 2017 but his goalscoring record at club level is similar to Joelintons before we signed him.

User avatar
biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free
Posts: 23918
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:06 pm
Location: Northumberland... so not actually a Geordie

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:27 pm



Apologies if this has been shared already! Decent goal though.
Kindly deeds done for free!

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29655
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Wow! Not seen that. Can we get him back and play him at RWB again <urgh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6699
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Colly » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:51 pm

Our attacking midfielders aren't allowed in the final third let alone the penalty area, so no chance of him scoring anything like that for us.

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21292
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by ALF » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:41 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:51 pm
Our attacking midfielders aren't allowed in the final third let alone the penalty area, so no chance of him scoring anything like that for us.
Our what? <eesh>

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29655
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:43 pm

Give Bruce a break, it’s not like you win games by scoring more goals than the opposition <fist>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6699
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Colly » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:45 pm

THINK OF THE GOAL DIFFERENCE.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 29655
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:05 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54840194

Missed the game of the weekend!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10312
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 6/8 NOVEMBER 2020

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:30 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:50 pm
What on earth went through his mind when taking that penalty? Fair enough try that if you’re 3-0 up and cruising, but when you’re fighting relegation and have a penalty with the last kick of the game to snatch an away point...just why <laugh>
To be fair, there are players that use the panenka for a majority of their penalties no matter the score or pressure, Alejandro Pozuelo for example. But you damn well better be able to execute it well every time, and maybe when you're in the dire straights Fulham are - might not be the best time to risk it.

Post Reply