NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (January 2021)

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (January 2021)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 pm

Beatski wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:56 pm
CIH wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:04 pm

I think the best case scenario would be to follow the Henderson route with Manchester/Sheffield United. Swansea to come up and loan back there for the season, then for us to steal him back after a premier league season under his belt. Although the obvious risk of that is him wanting to stay at a club that has really helped his development over the years, ala Fraser Forster.
especially when they outplay us and show more ambition than us
That's fair <laugh> Maybe the future of us 'legacy fans' is not to support a club, but to follow one player and support whoever they play for. Dibs on Woodman <gent>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 18, 2021 12:25 pm

Yeah Woodman is definitely getting very close to the Fraser Forster scenario.

It's mad that since I can remember we've always had decent goalkeeping backup be it Srnicek and Hislop up to now with Dubravka and Darlow, its always been a position we've had decent backup.

As said I think best case scenario is for Swansea to come up and for Woodman to spend another year there or at least a year as a PL number one.

Obviously that won't happen at ourselves or as for the other promoted teams Krul is cemented as Norwich no 1 , there would be a slight possibility at Watford given Ben Foster's age but he's still a very good keeper and is vastly experienced so I couldn't see that.

Obviously then we have the predicament of having 3 senior keepers ourselves Dubravka and Darlow both recently signed new contracts so without a firm offer will most likely still be around and bar 1 mistake in league cup(?? maybe it was FA Cup??) Gillespie hasn't done much wrong and is a reliable 3rd choice which Woodman wouldn't want to be anyway.

In truth I can the one to leave most likely to Dubravka, if he had a decent Euros there would probably be interest in him, plus with brexit and foreign player rules he might be the one to go.
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 18, 2021 2:10 pm

I could even see Darlow maybe wanting to leave this summer if a club would want him as a first choice. I'd say he's finally proven he's a PL quality keeper, though I much prefer Dubravka and the potential of Woodman. With Dubravka getting older, eventually maybe wanting a different challenge, and likely to accumulate injuries with age, I'd hate to see us lose Woodman.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 18, 2021 2:57 pm

Darlow was arguably our player of the season in the first half of the season, but other than maybe a promoted team I don't really see which PL club would fork out for him as a first choice keeper. He made some excellent saves, though I would add that behind an awful defence it can sometimes be easier to look like a better keeper as you're kept so busy. He's 31 this year too, while that's not old by any means for a keeper', it probably detracts a bit.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 18, 2021 3:06 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:57 pm
Darlow was arguably our player of the season in the first half of the season, but other than maybe a promoted team I don't really see which PL club would fork out for him as a first choice keeper. He made some excellent saves, though I would add that behind an awful defence it can sometimes be easier to look like a better keeper as you're kept so busy. He's 31 this year too, while that's not old by any means for a keeper', it probably detracts a bit.
Oh I don't disagree, I don't think he'd draw a meaningful fee, and I can't even imagine who would want him for that role. I only meant that I could see if the opportunity arose that he'd want to pursue it, and this is probably the best chance he'll have. And yes, personally I thought his shotstopping was solid, but it's aerial balls, communication and confidence where Dubravka has always seemed to edge him.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 18, 2021 3:42 pm

Yep it would be harsh on Darlow if he was sold, without wanting to leave, he done very well for the first half of the season and definitely showed he is capable of being the number one if needed.

I just feel there would be more interest in Dubravka from the continent so he'd most likely be the one to leave. For example I know Juventus have scouted him before, with Buffon leaving in the summer they might be interested again
I'll Hazard a guess

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 18, 2021 3:55 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:42 pm
Yep it would be harsh on Darlow if he was sold, without wanting to leave, he done very well for the first half of the season and definitely showed he is capable of being the number one if needed.

I just feel there would be more interest in Dubravka from the continent so he'd most likely be the one to leave. For example I know Juventus have scouted him before, with Buffon leaving in the summer they might be interested again
Swap deal with Ronaldo <whistle>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed May 19, 2021 8:16 am

Unpopular opinion: I think Darlow is quite overrated. He's a good shotstopper but defensively we're so much more organised and co-ordinated with Dubravka. Defensively as a unit we're miles better with him in goal.
Last edited by Speedo on Thu May 20, 2021 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
I had the first custom w***

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed May 19, 2021 1:44 pm

Speedo wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:16 am
Unpopular opinion: I think Darlow is quite overrated. He's a good shotstopper but defensively we're so much more organised and co-ordinated with Dubravka. Defensively as a unit we're miles better with him in goal.
I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion? I think all fans felt that way before this season, maybe forgot for a bit when he exceeded expectations during Dubravka's absense, and then upon his return realized what the team was missing. But maybe I'm wrong? <scratch>

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed May 19, 2021 10:17 pm

Yeah I think everyone is of that opinion tbf.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu May 20, 2021 6:52 am

Popular opinion: I think Darlow is quite overrated. He's a good shotstopper but defensively we're so much more organised and co-ordinated with Dubravka. Defensively as a unit we're miles better with him in goal.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu May 20, 2021 11:10 am

Just seen Bentaleb has been released by schalke, I'd imagine we'll probably go for him
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu May 20, 2021 11:53 am

Middling opinion: I think Dubravka is better, but I don't think by much and I think his organisation is overstated. I don't think we suffered while he was injured.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu May 20, 2021 11:57 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:10 am
Just seen Bentaleb has been released by schalke, I'd imagine we'll probably go for him
Hope not.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu May 20, 2021 12:11 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:53 am
Middling opinion: I think Dubravka is better, but I don't think by much and I think his organisation is overstated. I don't think we suffered while he was injured.
I agree with this.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu May 20, 2021 12:49 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:57 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:10 am
Hope not.
I agree but it would just be a typical Newcastle thing to do
I'll Hazard a guess

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu May 20, 2021 2:59 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:49 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:57 am

Hope not.
Would rather clone Jeff Hendrick. And I HATE Jeff Hendrick.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu May 20, 2021 3:13 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:53 am
I did the calculation and we conceded on average 1.72 goals per game with Darlow this season, and 1.58 with Dubravka. Which I think validates your post.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Thu May 20, 2021 5:58 pm

Speedo wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:59 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:49 pm

Would rather clone Jeff Hendrick. And I HATE Jeff Hendrick.
Was Bentaleb that bad?? I would think people would prefer him as cover over Hendrick who's steady but offers nothing special in midfield.. just a squad player at best who's a solid pro & versatile but shouldn't be in the starting XI when everyone is fit.. back up player & that's it.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu May 20, 2021 6:19 pm

Wasn't particularly impressive on his loan stint, reported that he was on relatively high wages at Schalke. Not saying he wouldn't be better or at least on par with Hendrick, who is gash, but I wouldn't want him. Ideally would rather see Matty Longstaff get more game time in the centre.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair