NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (January 2021)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (January 2021)

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:44 pm

I actually think in the current market (even post-Covid) and with his age/record it's not too far off the mark. Ollie Watkins, completely unproven at the top level cost Villa the best part of £25m from a Championship club.

Edit: Just checked and Abraham is 2 years younger than Watkins too.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:43 pm

I'd pick Wilson every time over Abraham and Wilson cost half the price. Unlike Wilson I don't see Abraham as having that ability to turn a game and be a difference maker. He's the type of striker that needs a team that can create a lot of chances for him imo.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:06 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:43 pm
I'd pick Wilson every time over Abraham and Wilson cost half the price. Unlike Wilson I don't see Abraham as having that ability to turn a game and be a difference maker. He's the type of striker that needs a team that can create a lot of chances for him imo.
I mean, I'd prefer him right now too, but I don't think we can discount the difference 6 years in age makes. Wilson wasn't particularly productive or influential in his age 23 and 24 seasons either - though he also wouldn't have cost 40 million then either. Agree that it would be a pretty speculative 40 million spent by any club to bring him in assuming he can be a really productive PL striker in the prime years of his career.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:24 am

You can't really compare them IMO. The 6 year age gap easily makes up the difference in transfer valuation, not to mention Bournemouth were relegated and needed money whereas Chelsea are oil rich.

In terms of their goals, Wilson only hit double figures once in the PL for Bournemouth (18/19 season), in his 4 other PL seasons at Bournemouth he scored 8, 8, 6 and 5 so hardly prolific.

In his only full season in the PL (last season) Abraham scored 15 league goals, and has 6 this season despite rarely featuring now. Wilson has never hit 15.

I agree that I'd rather have Wilson at the moment if I was picking one, but there's nothing to show that he's a massively better player/option than Abraham who I think is reasonable value at the price being mentioned.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:26 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:24 am
You can't really compare them IMO. The 6 year age gap easily makes up the difference in transfer valuation, not to mention Bournemouth were relegated and needed money whereas Chelsea are oil rich.

In terms of their goals, Wilson only hit double figures once in the PL for Bournemouth (18/19 season), in his 4 other PL seasons at Bournemouth he scored 8, 8, 6 and 5 so hardly prolific.

In his only full season in the PL (last season) Abraham scored 15 league goals, and has 6 this season despite rarely featuring now. Wilson has never hit 15.

I agree that I'd rather have Wilson at the moment if I was picking one, but there's nothing to show that he's a massively better player/option than Abraham who I think is reasonable value at the price being mentioned.
Thanks for being more comprehensive than me. I think people overestimate Wilson's scoring record - as much as I do like him as a player, and how much he should be commended for his path to the PL.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:38 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:26 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:24 am

Thanks for being more comprehensive than me. I think people overestimate Wilson's scoring record - as much as I do like him as a player, and how much he should be commended for his path to the PL.
I was avoiding having to do work <roll>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:43 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:38 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:26 pm

I was avoiding having to do work <roll>
There's a reason I only post on sports forums during the day...

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:38 pm

You could argue the Abraham scores more goals as he plays in a more creative team surrounded by world class players. We have Shelvey
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:42 pm

Toondes wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:38 pm
You could argue the Abraham scores more goals as he plays in a more creative team surrounded by world class players. We have Shelvey
I think for the sake of this comparison it's Abraham vs. Wilson's scoring record at Bournemouth. Obviously they weren't a top 4 side either, but it's not like he was at a conservative, park the bus side when scoring less than 10 goals per season.

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 am

abraham is class. dnt get to play for england if ur not. wed b rly lucky to get him

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 am

He wouldn't come, and we need to be spending the money elsewhere

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 04, 2021 12:04 pm

Beatski wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 am
He wouldn't come, and we won't spend any money.
<ok>

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Tue May 04, 2021 12:08 pm

lol

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 11, 2021 8:30 am

Few reports about Leicester being close to signing Boubakary Soumare, might mean that Choudhary is available again but still don't think he's what we need.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Tue May 11, 2021 9:26 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:30 am
Few reports about Leicester being close to signing Boubakary Soumare, might mean that Choudhary is available again but still don't think he's what we need.
This. We need more of a technical all-rounder. As I've mentioned in another thread.. someone like Mario Lemina or Connor Gallagher from the relegated sides would be ideal. Instead of relying on Shelvey to always do the passing, vision & creativity you can use either of these two but not only that there all-round game is better. Better mobility, tackling & technical ability than Shelvey.. who is inconsistent & lazy.

Our midfield depth would be decent enough.. maybe someone like Lemina who did good this season at Fulham could be decent as he's a proper box-to-box with good technical ability, strength & athleticism but also has the legs & energy to get back & help defensively.

Hayden (defensive midfield maestro... if fit has to be 1st choice)
Willock (box-to-box goal scorer.. if fit has to be alongside Hayden?)

Shelvey (depends if we're playing a three in the middle.. shouldn't always be a guaranteed starter but offers creativity & vision but lazy & inconsistent)
Gallagher / Lemina / ??? (Wouldn't need Shelvey as much.. as these two can not only pass but have a better all-round game in terms of mobility, tackling & technical ability)

S.Longstaff (box-to-box.. slowly showing signs of his old form when he first came through but his inconsistency / injuries still leave a question mark if he's good enough to be a regular starter but the potential is clearly there)
Hendrick? (solid pro who doesn't really do anything too bad or too good.. average passer, average tackler & average all-rounder but works hard & can do a job if needed but I don't think he's good enough to be a starter.. squad player at best)

Didn't include Matty Longstaff as he needs a full season loan in the Champs with a decent team to further his development & get regular games week in week out.

Obviously getting Willock is massively important.. but getting another midfielder in wouldn't do us no harm. Doesn't have to be Lemina or Gallagher but someone who not only pass & move but also tackle & do the gritty/dirty work too <ok>

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue May 11, 2021 10:26 am

I'm up for almost any scenario that doesn't include Shelvey or Hendrick. Plodders, the pair of them.
I had the first custom w***

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 11, 2021 11:31 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:30 am
Another player we have been looking at for so long that we have been unable to push through. Think he would have been perfect to pair up with Willock and a holding midfielder.

Would be annoying to see him go to Leicester, bit of an odd one too given their midfield options.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 11, 2021 11:38 am

Didn't we have a bid for Soumare accepted not too long ago but he wanted to play in Europe and rejected us.
I'll Hazard a guess

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 11, 2021 11:59 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:38 am
Didn't we have a bid for Soumare accepted not too long ago but he wanted to play in Europe and rejected us.
The report at the time was that he didn't want to leave mid season, the club had a flight and medical booked and he backed out at the last minute. Then after that didn't hear much, I think the money for him went on the Joelinton transfer instead as I'm sure the fee we agreed was around £35m. So that would match up.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 11, 2021 12:04 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:59 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:38 am
The report at the time was that he didn't want to leave mid season, the club had a flight and medical booked and he backed out at the last minute. Then after that didn't hear much, I think the money for him went on the Joelinton transfer instead as I'm sure the fee we agreed was around £35m. So that would match up.
<neg>