Match Thread - Newcastle v Fulham

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Match Thread - Newcastle v Fulham

Post by ALF » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:01 pm
Will we ever start a attack like this.. (I've been waiting for it since Fraser / Wilson signed).. but it's never happend and will it ever happen with a manager like Bruce?? <urgh>

Fraser Miggy ASM
Wilson

That attack on form is top half material.. <awe>
Dubravka
Manquillo Schar Lejeune Lewis
Longstaff Shelvey
Fraser Miggy ASM
Wilson
Depressing.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:16 pm

ALF wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:04 pm
Sanchino wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:01 pm
Will we ever start a attack like this.. (I've been waiting for it since Fraser / Wilson signed).. but it's never happend and will it ever happen with a manager like Bruce?? <urgh>

Fraser Miggy ASM
Wilson

That attack on form is top half material.. <awe>
Dubravka
Longstaff Shelvey
Fraser Miggy ASM
Wilson
Depressing.
No Hayden? With those 4 attacking players we need a dedicated DM (Hayden) to shield the back four, make tackles and interceptions with a box-to-box midfielder (Longstaff).. I don't know about Schar / Lejune coming into the team but it's worth a shout but Clark and Fernandez have been solid most times but if you want a nice balance you need a ball-playing CB (Lejune) with a solid destroyer (Fernandez).. that pairing on form could be our best bet but Lascelles is still decent (at times), Clark when called upon is mainly solid & Schar from the 2018-2019 season was quality with his passing, attacking runs & technique, if he can recapture that form then great partner him with Lejune.

Ideal starting XI (for me)

Dubra (harsh on Darlow but still think Dubra the better overall keeper)
Manquillo Lejune Fernandez Willems (Jetro).. if we don't get him then Lewis
Hayden Longstaff
Fraser Miggy ASM
Wilson

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:20 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:16 pm
ALF wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Dubravka
Longstaff Shelvey
Fraser Miggy ASM
Wilson
Depressing.
No Hayden? With those 4 attacking players we need a dedicated DM (Hayden) to shield the back four, make tackles and interceptions with a box-to-box midfielder (Longstaff).. I don't know about Schar / Lejune coming into the team but it's worth a shout but Clark and Fernandez have been solid most times but if you want a nice balance you need a ball-playing CB (Lejune) with a solid destroyer (Fernandez).. that pairing on form could be our best bet but Lascelles is still decent (at times), Clark when called upon is mainly solid & Schar from the 2018-2019 season was quality with his passing, attacking runs & technique, if he can recapture that form then great partner him with Lejune.

Ideal starting XI (for me)

Dubra (harsh on Darlow but still think Dubra the better overall keeper)
Manquillo Lejune Fernandez Willems (Jetro).. if we don't get him then Lewis
Hayden Longstaff
Fraser Miggy ASM
Wilson
Feel especially harsh on Clark tbf, he's been brilliant recently.

Hayden can't really play in a 2, we saw that at Leeds. He just doesn't show for the ball enough. Even if you're not offering too much, you need to show for the easy ball and he just doesn't do that.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:41 am

Where is ASM ? Covid ?
# stolen from nufc.com :)

UlversToon
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by UlversToon » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:21 am

Toondes wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:41 am
Where is ASM ? Covid ?
On furlough - Bruce hasn't got work for him!

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:14 am

Guessing ASM is one of the players with long covid. Sounds like there’s a couple of guys hit really hard - Bruce quoted as saying they walk for 30mins and are knackered. I know someone who had a reaction like this from Covid and it took them around half a year or so to feel ‘normalish’ and capable of a lengthy walk. There was a few articles on the BBC too about this. Not good news.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:23 am

Lads I dreamt last night we fired Bruce and hired John Carver back instead... woke up in cold sweats. This can get a whole lot worse still
I had the first custom w***

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:43 am

Captain Obvious wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:14 am
Guessing ASM is one of the players with long covid. Sounds like there’s a couple of guys hit really hard - Bruce quoted as saying they walk for 30mins and are knackered. I know someone who had a reaction like this from Covid and it took them around half a year or so to feel ‘normalish’ and capable of a lengthy walk. There was a few articles on the BBC too about this. Not good news.
Not sure how accurate this is but this site still has him down as ankle injury. Could be covid on top of it though.

https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php

Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:28 am

I didnt think the penalty was harsh, Anderson was just dumb, he was clearly trying to bring Wilson down and had 3 goes at doing so, pulled him back twice then clipped his foot. Already on a yellow too so the red was fully deserved. Yes Wilson went down very easy on the last one but Anderson gave him the opportunity on a plate, if advantage wasn't played then the first 2 pull backs were free kicks anyways. It was smart play by Wilson in the end.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:28 am

Speedo wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:23 am
Lads I dreamt last night we fired Bruce and hired John Carver back instead... woke up in cold sweats. This can get a whole lot worse still
I'd take that.

Donkey Toon
Resident Financial Expert

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:52 pm

Got comfortable on the sofa so couldn't be bothered to access my laptop and share my pearls of wisdom during the game as usual. So first chance to comment on the shitshow that was yesterday's game.

It was a shitshow and we were lucky to get a point. Wasn't a penalty, but should've been a freekick on edge of area. No issue with the red card except is should arguably have been for a second yellow rather than straight red.

Other than that agree with all the comments about lack of energy, drive, gameplan, class and talent on show. Going to be a long hard season at this rate. Can't wait for the next game <sarcasm smiley>

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:53 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:28 am
I didnt think the penalty was harsh, Anderson was just dumb, he was clearly trying to bring Wilson down and had 3 goes at doing so, pulled him back twice then clipped his foot. Already on a yellow too so the red was fully deserved. Yes Wilson went down very easy on the last one but Anderson gave him the opportunity on a plate, if advantage wasn't played then the first 2 pull backs were free kicks anyways. It was smart play by Wilson in the end.
I only think it's harsh in the sense I just don't think there's a foul in the box. It's without question a red (whether straight or second yellow) and a free kick, the only argument is whether the foul "continues" into the area and I really don't think "there might be incidental contact with his foot" counts as a continuation of what was previously a shirt pull.

Donkey Toon

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:03 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:53 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
I only think it's harsh in the sense I just don't think there's a foul in the box. It's without question a red (whether straight or second yellow) and a free kick, the only argument is whether the foul "continues" into the area and I really don't think "there might be incidental contact with his foot" counts as a continuation of what was previously a shirt pull.
Agree. Except I will go further re the inside the box side of the incident. It was a dive. The foul (shirt pull) was committed outside the box but not sufficient to bring him down. What induced him to dive I haven't a clue but it was a clear dive. I didn't even need to see the numerous replays to conclude that but confirm it they did. Fulham woz robbed.

Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:53 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
See id argue that it was a continuation of the foul, there was no attempt for the ball during the whole phase. There is contact that continues into the box so I think that wipes out any question of contact being incidental. Andersens intent through the whole thing was to impede Wilson.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:05 pm

ALF wrote:
Speedo wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:23 am
I'd take that.
Same. I’d take anyone over Bruce right now

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:24 pm

I’d definitely keep Bruce over Carver!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:31 pm

f*** Carver, at least it's not that bad. McLaren too.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:35 pm

originallad wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:31 pm
f*** Carver, at least it's not that bad. McLaren too.
McClaren was better than Bruce, at least we had some possession.

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:42 pm

ALF wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:35 pm
originallad wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:31 pm
**** Carver, at least it's not that bad. McLaren too.
McClaren was better than Bruce, at least we had some possession.
<laugh> McLaren was truly awful and basically got us relegated! We had a decent squad with some quality players like Sissoko and Wijnaldum and he turned them into s***. The worst manager we've had in my lifetime. Carver a close second.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:19 pm

It’s like a who’s who of s*** managers