Could it happen? Next manager suggestions

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Could it happen? Next manager suggestions

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:21 am

Bruce seems like the perfect manager for Ashley, albeit apparently being the 12th choice to replace Rafa. I think it's fair to say that a good portion of our fans want a replacement for Bruce. His tactics are borderline nonexistent, the way we play is awful. Really really awful. I've suggested before in another thread that Eddie Howe could be a good fit if he fancied it, and he would be my choice personally.

In addition to that, I think Andre Villas-Boas is due a return to old blighty. The style of play he, uh, plays would fit in well with our squad I reckon. He does what Bruce does but far, far better. Not that he'd likely want to come, mind.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Re: Could it happen? Next manager suggestions

Post by beatski » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:44 am

I'd like us to take a punt on an up and coming manager in the lower leagues with a good play style, as we arent going to be able to attract anyone established IMO. don't really follow the lower leagues enough to name any names though. Bowyer maybe ? despite being relegated the fans seem to be happy with him, as he's been suffering under owners even worse than ours until recently

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:43 am

AVB's track record is not so good anymore
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:49 am

There’s a young manager at Brentford doing some good things...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:16 am

Ian Holloway is available following his resignation from Grimsby Town this week.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:45 am

Dundalk manager 👌

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:46 am

UlversToon wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:16 am
Ian Holloway is available following his resignation from Grimsby Town this week.
He’s the sort of upcoming, progressive manager that Charnley would look to.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:49 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:46 am
UlversToon wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:16 am
He’s the sort of upcoming, progressive manager that Charnley would look to.
<laugh> that's what I thought, the perfect fit for Ashley & Charnley.

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:03 am

Ameobi got his coaching badge yet? <dotheameobi>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:17 am

I'd say Eddie Howe is the best and most realistic option. Now would be the time to pull the trigger. Barring an absolute disaster we won't go down so it gives him just over half a season to get used to the players.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:49 am
I imagine that's a touch tongue in cheek, but Thomas Frank wouldn't be the worst choice haha. I think he'll be in the prem sooner rather than later, with Brentford or otherwise.

Tuchel been sacked, not that I'm suggesting he would come here (I can see him at Arsenal) but I remember when Pardew left us and he was heavily linked but we ended up waiting six months for McClaren <awe>

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:38 pm

CIH wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:02 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:49 am
I imagine that's a touch tongue in cheek, but Thomas Frank wouldn't be the worst choice haha. I think he'll be in the prem sooner rather than later, with Brentford or otherwise.

Tuchel been sacked, not that I'm suggesting he would come here (I can see him at Arsenal) but I remember when Pardew left us and he was heavily linked but we ended up waiting six months for McClaren <awe>
The reality is, sadly, that he wouldn't leave Brentford to join Newcastle imo.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:41 pm

Realistically someone like Nigel Pearson is where we're at. He'd be an upgrade on Bruce.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:48 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:38 pm
CIH wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:02 pm

The reality is, sadly, that he wouldn't leave Brentford to join Newcastle imo.
Yeah I agree with that

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:49 pm

ALF wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:17 am
I'd say Eddie Howe is the best and most realistic option. Now would be the time to pull the trigger. Barring an absolute disaster we won't go down so it gives him just over half a season to get used to the players.
I can't see Howe coming here. When he went to Burnley it didn't work out and he said it was down to being homesick. I can't see him taking another job any further north than London.

Also I don't think he'd be a good fit here anyway. It would be a massive culture shock for him. Up here we are so intense and passionate when it comes to football which can be a good and a bad thing depending on how well things are going. At Bournemouth he's probably never had to experience the locals forcefully sharing thier opinion while he's out trying to do his weekly shop. As much as we don't like the term, the likes of Nolan, Dyer, Jenas etc are correct when they say it's like living in a goldfish bowl. You have to be able to deal with immense pressure (both on and off the pitch) to play / manage here and Howe has no experience of that. Managing Bournemouth couldn't be any further from managing Newcastle.

thorndale

Post by thorndale » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:52 pm

My daughter saw Rafa Benitez in Newcastle this morning. Surely he is not due to return?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Bloody click-baity topic title implying Bruce’s job was at risk getting my hopes up! <fist>

Don’t think he has much to worry about considering Carver went on a 10 game losing streak and Mclaren managed to hold onto his job for as long as he did.

IMO we’ll be fine this season. We’re already half way to safety with only a third of the season played. The optimist in me is hoping we do ok business in the transfer window and bring in a more dynamic midfielder <monster>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:18 am

jpg wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:45 pm
Bloody click-baity topic title implying Bruce’s job was at risk getting my hopes up! <fist>

Don’t think he has much to worry about considering Carver went on a 10 game losing streak and Mclaren managed to hold onto his job for as long as he did.

IMO we’ll be fine this season. We’re already half way to safety with only a third of the season played. The optimist in me is hoping we do ok business in the transfer window and bring in a more dynamic midfielder <monster>
I'm very sorry <laugh>

I don't expect us to do any business next month, no permanent incomings anyway. I think Bruce said something to that effect before the Leeds match.

We will lose the next three games, probably the fa cup against arsenal. The Sheffield game in January is key. I can see a repeat of Derby years ago, one win all season against us. If that happens Bruce should go, but I doubt it. As mentioned above, Howe is my personal choice. But as someone else had also mentioned, it's going to be Pearson.

Although saying that, not sure if Ashley could deal with someone quite of his ilk haha

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:08 am

Agreed with an earlier post that whenever the time comes, I hope we hire a young confident manager that will inject some confidence into the side, and have a clear vision for how they want to play. Can't expect players to play with confidence and aggression when you employ a string of scared managers who believe the only way to survive regardless of the opposition or players at your disposal is to shut up shop and hope for the best. And it's been years since we even defended particularly well.

Gossy2Hotty
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by Gossy2Hotty » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:42 pm

Given the size of club we are, the woeful squad we have, and the fact that we have one of the worst owners in football, we would be lucky to get Eddie Howe.

We need to face it, until that fat waste of oxygen Ashley goes, we're never going to get better than Bruce.