Could it happen? Next manager suggestions

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: Could it happen? Next manager suggestions

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:44 pm

I think the top five names would be unrealistic appointments. I wouldn't want Lucian Favre, he's similar to Bruce in that he's a defensive manager that doesn't know what to do with the attacking talent available to him. Just obviously at s higher level. Marco Silva is one I hadn't thought of, but not exactly an Ashley appointment.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:48 pm

CIH wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:44 pm
I think the top five names would be unrealistic appointments. I wouldn't want Lucian Favre, he's similar to Bruce in that he's a defensive manager that doesn't know what to do with the attacking talent available to him. Just obviously at s higher level. Marco Silva is one I hadn't thought of, but not exactly an Ashley appointment.
Silva wouldn't be a particularly inspiring choice. His record in England is average at best.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:27 pm

CIH wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:44 pm
I always wonder how much Ashley even gets involved in managerial hirings. Sure he has to approve their paycheque, but I do think people overestimate how much he cares about their vocalness. He seems quite comfortable ignoring fans and managers, and saying no whenever he wants.

DoTheAmeobi
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by DoTheAmeobi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:49 pm

Beatski wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:44 am
I'd like us to take a punt on an up and coming manager in the lower leagues with a good play style, as we arent going to be able to attract anyone established IMO. don't really follow the lower leagues enough to name any names though. Bowyer maybe ? despite being relegated the fans seem to be happy with him, as he's been suffering under owners even worse than ours until recently
Charlton have a new owner that is backing him financially this season (Thomas Sandgaard). It will be a good test of what he can do with money behind him (despite the challenge of the salary cap that is in place in league one this year Charlton should be aiming for a return to the Championship).

Eddie Howe is as short at 5/2 to be the next Newcastle Manager and if you fancy a punt (on him or 3/1 Benitez) then I'd recommend taking a look at: https://betdonation.co.uk

It works in a similar way to the national lottery, where a percentage of bets go towards good causes (& you can select the charity that benefits) <ok>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:31 am

DoTheAmeobi wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:49 pm
Beatski wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:44 am
I'd like us to take a punt on an up and coming manager in the lower leagues with a good play style, as we arent going to be able to attract anyone established IMO. don't really follow the lower leagues enough to name any names though. Bowyer maybe ? despite being relegated the fans seem to be happy with him, as he's been suffering under owners even worse than ours until recently
Charlton have a new owner that is backing him financially this season (Thomas Sandgaard). It will be a good test of what he can do with money behind him (despite the challenge of the salary cap that is in place in league one this year Charlton should be aiming for a return to the Championship).

Eddie Howe is as short at 5/2 to be the next Newcastle Manager and if you fancy a punt (on him or 3/1 Benitez) then I'd recommend taking a look at: https://betdonation.co.uk

It works in a similar way to the national lottery, where a percentage of bets go towards good causes (& you can select the charity that benefits) <ok>
A bet on Benitez would effectively be giving money to charity then, he is never coming back under ashley. There's more chance of them approaching me than him....

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 pm

Bump....
I'll Hazard a guess

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 pm
Bump....
Care to hazard a guess? <laugh>

On a more serious note, surely he has to go after this shitshow? Lacklustre, battered by our closest league rivals. We'll probably go down either way now, but a staff shuffle might light a rocket under certain arses, at least.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:58 pm

Even Luke Edwards thinks that's a performance to get a manager sacked. Surely it has to be enough.

But I just can't help but feel it won't be, they'll be silence over the next 2 weeks.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:03 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 pm
Bump....

On a more serious note, surely he has to go after this shitshow? Lacklustre, battered by our closest league rivals. We'll probably go down either way now, but a staff shuffle might light a rocket under certain arses, at least.
Looking at available options in no particular order

AVB
Marco Silva
Lampard
Howe
Bruno Lage
Roberto Moreno
Vieira
Vitor Pereira
Laudrup
Rafa

Hey I'd even take Roy Keane at this moment
I'll Hazard a guess

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:06 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:03 pm
CIH wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 pm

AVB
Marco Silva
Lampard
Howe
Bruno Lage
Roberto Moreno
Vieira
Vitor Pereira
Laudrup
Rafa

Some decent names in that list, but would any of them actually be interested? Howe is the obvious choice, and I still think AVB has something to offer in England. I don't know much about Lage or Moreno personally, but I agree, I'd take all but anyone. We were linked to Pereira during the Pardew era I think, again don't know much of him. Think he was at ASSE at the time

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:21 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:06 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:03 pm

AVB
Marco Silva
Lampard
Howe
Bruno Lage
Roberto Moreno
Vieira
Vitor Pereira
Laudrup
Rafa

Some decent names in that list, but would any of them actually be interested? Howe is the obvious choice, and I still think AVB has something to offer in England. I don't know much about Lage or Moreno personally, but I agree, I'd take all but anyone. We were linked to Pereira during the Pardew era I think, again don't know much of him. Think he was at ASSE at the time
Lage was Benfica manager last season was Assistant to Carvahal when he was at Swansea and Wednesday so has experience in England

Moreno was Spain boss until Luis Enrique came back(had been his assistant) last job was at Monaco.

If I was to choose one of the above to go after it would be AVB all day long
I'll Hazard a guess

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:37 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:21 pm
CIH wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:06 pm

Lage was Benfica manager last season was Assistant to Carvahal when he was at Swansea and Wednesday so has experience in England

Moreno was Spain boss until Luis Enrique came back(had been his assistant) last job was at Monaco.

If I was to choose one of the above to go after it would be AVB all day long
I'd heard of them, Lage always seems to get top jobs on my FM saves haha, just don't really know what they were about, so ta very much. Could do worse for sure. I do like AVB, was seemingly doing a decent job at L'OM, but it sounds like there were disagreements at board level. Doesn't seem a likely candidate under Ashley. Potential front runner if we do get a takeover, though. If we do get a new regime in, whether it's the PIF or another group, doesn't necessarily mean we'd be getting Poch or Mourinho or whoever was linked last time.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:36 am

AVB would be on a massive wage and wouldn’t want a relegation fight.

It’s Bruce until the end...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:59 am

If we survive it’s hopefully a younger progressive type of style and some reinvigoration.
If we drop, god only knows, probably give Jones the remit to bounce us back. Until our fate is sealed it looks like Bruce for the foreseeable.

Only hope is that the old vote of confidence is brinksmanship , the two clowns get together and mutually consent a parting of the ways.

Other than that......... until Ashley sells it’s just a rolling rotten Carry on up the Toon movie !?
Presumably Ashley played by Sid James
Clydeside & Tyneside

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:03 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:36 am
AVB would be on a massive wage and wouldn’t want a relegation fight.

It’s Bruce until the end...
For reference, he was making 6.5 euro per year at Marseille, would would rank ~8th in the Premier League.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:25 am

Peter Bosz sacked by Bayer Leverkusen he'd be another good appointment...tbf anyone would
I'll Hazard a guess

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 am

I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:03 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 am
This was written 10 years ago...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... and-sacked
Football is a bit like fashion. It's cyclical.

In a few years when we've banned them foreign manager types from coming here and stealing our jobs; Bruce will once again be at the forefront of English football management methodology.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:32 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 am
This was written 10 years ago...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... and-sacked
My god, that could have been penned after the latest Toon shitshow. How he is still in charge, well, wow ! Tbf we know, we all know after all there’s plenty written.
So we just continue to suck it up ......... feeling contempt about the ownership and management just doesn’t remotely come close to how insultingly badly this club is being governed.
Clydeside & Tyneside

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:39 pm

Duncan Castles of the Sunday Times & Transfer Window podcast claiming that Chris Wilder is being lined up as a replace for Cabbagehead. Plausible, but he did claim Mike Ashley reached out to Rafa in February...
I had the first custom w***