Match Thread: Sheffield Utd v Newcastle

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Match Thread: Sheffield Utd v Newcastle

Post by originallad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:06 pm

Just found out we don't play again until Monday. Thank f*** for that. I can forget about football for almost a week.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:13 pm

CIH wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:39 pm
overseasTOON wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:34 pm

I'd say that under Bruce, we're in the mix of three worst teams but if Bruce were to be fired and we played on the front foot then we'd be mid table.

We have good enough players to give teams a game and give ourselves a chance to win but under Bruce - we're set up to maybe nick a draw.
I fully agree with this and want Bruce gone myself, but the problem is who comes in? He was what - twelve choice in the first place? It'd most likely be a Carver situation and someone in the backroom would have to step up. Neil Redfearn still knocking about? Saying that, Pearson is available again. I'd take him at the minute, at least the press conferences would be entertaining.
Is Pardew really happy in Bulgaria? Bring him home.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:08 pm

CIH wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:34 pm

I'd say that under Bruce, we're in the mix of three worst teams but if Bruce were to be fired and we played on the front foot then we'd be mid table.

We have good enough players to give teams a game and give ourselves a chance to win but under Bruce - we're set up to maybe nick a draw.
I fully agree with this and want Bruce gone myself, but the problem is who comes in? He was what - twelve choice in the first place? It'd most likely be a Carver situation and someone in the backroom would have to step up. Neil Redfearn still knocking about? Saying that, Pearson is available again. I'd take him at the minute, at least the press conferences would be entertaining.
If they actually did want to get a hungry younger manager from another (or lower) league, you can be sure they could attract one, since they all see how risk-adverse most PL clubs are and how few openings will come available to them. Though I don't trust us to have anyone in a decision making role who would effectively identify such a manager. There hasn't been anyone with a big vision for the club, with the necessary footballing expertise in....a long time.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:08 pm
CIH wrote:

If they actually did want to get a hungry younger manager from another (or lower) league, you can be sure they could attract one, since they all see how risk-adverse most PL clubs are and how few openings will come available to them. Though I don't trust us to have anyone in a decision making role who would effectively identify such a manager. There hasn't been anyone with a big vision for the club, with the necessary footballing expertise in....a long time.
Lee Bowyer, maybe?
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 pm

CIH wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 pm
Remember Colo wrote:

Lee Bowyer, maybe?
Under pressure at Charlton, seen as overly defensive on occasion and serious questions are being asked about him. His comments on Maddison were awful. I'd take him over Bruce.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 am

Would take Nigel Pearson in a heartbeat. Crikey that’s depressing.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:31 am

Remember Colo wrote:
CIH wrote:

Neil Readfern fell out with somebody. I think the caretaker manager would either be Ben Dawson or Chris Hogg, the U23s boss. Can’t be worse than Bruce.

We fundamentally need a system manager though. I’d take any manager who has a clear vision of how we play - are there any more Graham Potters hanging about...
I had the first custom w***

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:35 am

Speedo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:31 am
Remember Colo wrote:

Neil Readfern fell out with somebody. I think the caretaker manager would either be Ben Dawson or Chris Hogg, the U23s boss. Can’t be worse than Bruce.

We fundamentally need a system manager though. I’d take any manager who has a clear vision of how we play - are there any more Graham Potters hanging about...
I'd take anyone who has played Football Manager before over Bruce...
Steve Bruce wrote:"We've been trying something different because over the last few weeks we've struggled going forward, so my thoughts were to get Ryan (Fraser), someone fresh, and Sean (Longstaff) higher up the pitch where he could be a goal threat. Unfortunately that didn't happen."

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:19 am

Speedo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:31 am
Remember Colo wrote:

The idea of someone like Potter is good, the flipside of that is that they're in very real danger of relegation too...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

michael04434
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by michael04434 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:56 am

Joey Barton !!

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am

Someone in the mould of Graham Potter would make a lot of sense, although I don't personally know a lot of names. Someone capeable of building the team and developing their own system. And even if we did go down, capeable of keeping the team together and coming back up. Like Dyche at Burnley.

Apparently Eddie Howe the early favourite, but that may be wishful thinking haha

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:22 am

Steven Gerard in the summer after he wins the league in Scotland.
A three year deal under a new ownership regime. He then leaves us for his beloved Liverpool. It is written. Well, in my deluded isolated state of mind at least
Fwiw, TalkSPORT currently piling in again on all things Toon
Clydeside & Tyneside

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:46 am

CIH wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am
Someone in the mould of Graham Potter would make a lot of sense, although I don't personally know a lot of names. Someone capeable of building the team and developing their own system. And even if we did go down, capeable of keeping the team together and coming back up. Like Dyche at Burnley.

Apparently Eddie Howe the early favourite, but that may be wishful thinking haha
This would be great.. I'll take a Howe / Potter for sure. Gerrard would be ideal but I don't see him leaving Rangers until summer and maybe even he'll stay to defend there SPL title and give the Champions League campaign a real go. It's written in the stars for him to return to Liverpool once Klopp decides to leave / get stale.

To be honest anyone who doesn't set up in a negative manner and sets up to WIN not to draw/lose would be a decent fit it doesn't matter if you want to be Ashely's puppet at least give it a go for Christ's sake. Bruce's mentality has infected the players and you can tell. We badly miss the unpredictability, pace and skill of ASM too.. our real proper creative outlet who can make a difference between winning and losing/drawing.

The day he plays ASM, Fraser & Miggy all at the same time from the start to support Wilson.. the day pigs fly & Aliens invade us. Does he have a ounce of adventure, bravery & expansiveness to attempt to play some form of decent attacking football???
Last edited by Sanchino on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:48 am

Yeah if we were a progressive club with ambition then we could offer someone like Gerrard that stepping stone into the PL to the Liverpool job. No chance of that under Ashley.

Even tho Burnley lost to Man U last night you could see that the players were playing for Dyche. The opposite is now true of us. Early in the season I still thought the players were behind Bruce, but the lethargic efforts of late show that’s no longer the case.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:54 am

Gerrard in the summer could have potential but not sure he would come under Ashley. Apparently he was one of those sounded out before we ended up with Bruce. More pressingly though, there's no guarantee we will still be in the top flight come the summer.

I haven't really paid much attention to the championship this season, any youngish developing managers there we could perhaps tempt? I like Thomas Frank at Brentford, but don't see him moving mid season. Steve Cooper at Swansea maybe? Or possibly even someone like Pearson till the end of the season if he'd take that, with bonuses and an option to extend.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:12 am

Thomas Frank could maybe be tempted in summer maybe if Brentford don't come up this season, but more likely we'd sack Bruce and appoint Mark Hughes.

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:13 am

CIH wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:54 am
Gerrard in the summer could have potential but not sure he would come under Ashley. Apparently he was one of those sounded out before we ended up with Bruce. More pressingly though, there's no guarantee we will still be in the top flight come the summer.

I haven't really paid much attention to the championship this season, any youngish developing managers there we could perhaps tempt? I like Thomas Frank at Brentford, but don't see him moving mid season. Steve Cooper at Swansea maybe? Or possibly even someone like Pearson till the end of the season if he'd take that, with bonuses and an option to extend.
This. I wish we got Rodgers when we got the chance.. look at how Leicester are doing. I'll take Daniel Farke from Norwich there easy on the eye, good attacking team.. there top right now and on course for another shot at the Prem with him (Farke) so it's unlikely he'll come but potential is there. Garry Monk is out of a job.. ? Seriously anyone but Bruce.. Pardew come back from your little holiday in Sunny Beach? <awe>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:57 pm

When did we have the chance to get Rodgers? <laugh> Again would be a good shout, but doubt he'd work under Ashley.

Problem is, even if anyone half decent was willing to come - such as Frank - no one is going to walk out on a stable job midway through a season. Rightly so. But we need a change now, we are sleepwalking to relegation again, this time under a different Steve. Does Guus Hiddink still float about on six month deals? <awe>

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:05 pm

David Wagner?

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:12 pm