Steve Bruce: The Gloves are off

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Steve Bruce: The Gloves are off

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 pm

No more Mr nice guy...wtf has he been doing for the last 18 months, and what is “his way”.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Re: Steve Bruce: The Gloves are off

Post by TJR » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:24 pm

He's lost the plot completely. Who's way has he been doing it for the past 18 month? Has he just been letting the players do what they want? Does he not pick the team? Does he not come up, with the shape, structure, tactical approach, game plan etc? Does he not lead training? What the f*** has he actually been doing for the last 18 month then?

What is 'the gloves are off' supposed to mean? Is he threatening the players? He's lost it.

His other comments were also ridiculous. He claimed he got Sunderland, Wigan, Birmingham and Hull thier highest ever Premier League finishes. Turns out that's not true, it's only correct in the case of Hull. Then he started banging on about having managed over 500 Premier League games, not once mentioning that he has the lowest Premier League win record out of every manager who has managed over 500 games.

It's amazing how we haven't sacked him yet. He's absolutely hopless and his managerial methods are as outdated as his view of the game. Now he's lost the plot completely as well.

Sadly looks like the club haven't learnt from the mistakes of the McClaren season, we left it too late to get rid of him and by the time we did the damage was done and we were relegated. Seems like we're going for the exact same approach this time as well. Einstein's definition of insanity springs to mind. Those running this club are an absolute joke.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:45 pm

TJR wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:24 pm
He's lost the plot completely. Who's way has he been doing it for the past 18 month? Has he just been letting the players do what they want? Does he not pick the team? Does he not come up, with the shape, structure, tactical approach, game plan etc? Does he not lead training? What the f*** has he actually been doing for the last 18 month then?

What is 'the gloves are off' supposed to mean? Is he threatening the players? He's lost it.

His other comments were also ridiculous. He claimed he got Sunderland, Wigan, Birmingham and Hull thier highest ever Premier League finishes. Turns out that's not true, it's only correct in the case of Hull. Then he started banging on about having managed over 500 Premier League games, not once mentioning that he has the lowest Premier League win record out of every manager who has managed over 500 games.

It's amazing how we haven't sacked him yet. He's absolutely hopless and his managerial methods are as outdated as his view of the game. Now he's lost the plot completely as well.

Sadly looks like the club haven't learnt from the mistakes of the McClaren season, we left it too late to get rid of him and by the time we did the damage was done and we were relegated. Seems like we're going for the exact same approach this time as well. Einstein's definition of insanity springs to mind. Those running this club are an absolute joke.
That first point was my takeaway too. Sure, about damn time he lights a rocket under the players and himself and admits they've been s****. But he's either lying and throwing his players under the bus saying they've pushed for playing these formations and style, or he's admitting he's a spineless idiot who conceded to them for a year and a half. Either way, everyone comes out of it looking like numpties.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:36 pm

So he's saying the players were responsible for the formation and tactics against Sheffield United? I find that hard to believe to say the least

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 pm

But Steve doesn't even wear gloves.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 pm

Tell you what though. He's called them out now, and he's put his own reputation on the line. If he's 'lost' the dressing room, it's gonna show on Monday. And if he has, his position is untenable. Either we'll see a fired up Newcastle United, or we'll see the end of Bruce.

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:42 am

Captain Obvious wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 pm
Tell you what though. He's called them out now, and he's put his own reputation on the line. If he's 'lost' the dressing room, it's gonna show on Monday. And if he has, his position is untenable. Either we'll see a fired up Newcastle United, or we'll see the end of Bruce.
Please be the latter.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:21 am

from nufc.com:

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:26 am

It's a typical speech from someone who doesn't really know what's wrong, but is deflecting from his failures by shouting loudly.

He doesn't have a clue how to fix it.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:21 am

How’s the bacon did ye say? Seems like he’s in the middle of trying to save his own.

Such a blatant deflection of criticism onto the players. Poor tactic from him. I’d say, unless something revolutionary goes on behind the scenes which also results in results on the pitch, he has 3-5 games. Those are the words of someone who is losing a dressing room and lashing out desperately.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:35 am

Well this all feels very familiar. Is that you, John Carver?

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 am

This just means he's going to make training more difficult for them which will only cause more injuries.
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:29 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 am
This just means he's going to make training more difficult for them which will only cause more injuries.
Yep, he’ll think I’ll get them to run more in training and that’ll be it!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:11 am

I, for one, am shocked that Bruce has allowed those tyrannical players and negative fans to inflict this upon him.

Also, seems like this is a familiar tune to the one he's played out at previous clubs, some nice Villa fan reactions here - https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... a-19637379
On criticism from fans, he added: "(It) has been personal from day one - certain people out there think I shouldn't have been in the job to start with. All I can do is accept it and try not to be too down with it.”

Upon reading those comments, Villa fans have offered their reaction.

One said: "Anyone wondering why the criticism is 'personal' needs to check out his Premier League win ratio and overall managerial record!

"This was always going to happen," another added.

"The football he had us playing overall was the most negative and dull I’ve ever had to sit through at Villa Park," a third fan said.

Another said: "#BruceIN until we play you next week."

"He said exactly the same at Villa," a fifth fan said. "Always the same excuses with Bruce wherever he goes."

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:22 am

I do think the players have been lucky lately that he's justifiably drawn the ire of everyone. Because he's not wrong, they've been s**** too. He unlike Rafa, as we've discussed, doesn't have a strict structure or tactics, so for all we criticise him for not inspiring expansive play, it isn't as if he's going to haul off or reprimand the players if they did actually play more aggressively or with attacking intent. If they had it in them to get more of the ball, or do more with the ball, they'd be free to - but they're basically all as void of ideas as he is.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:12 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:22 am
I do think the players have been lucky lately that he's justifiably drawn the ire of everyone. Because he's not wrong, they've been s**** too. He unlike Rafa, as we've discussed, doesn't have a strict structure or tactics, so for all we criticise him for not inspiring expansive play, it isn't as if he's going to haul off or reprimand the players if they did actually play more aggressively or with attacking intent. If they had it in them to get more of the ball, or do more with the ball, they'd be free to - but they're basically all as void of ideas as he is.
I agree to an extent that the players have to take more responsibility but ultimately it's down to Bruce picking too many defensive minded players. Against Sheffield he started with nine players who's natural instinct is to be defensive and only Fraser and Wilson from an attacking point of view. Picking that starting 11 was only ever going to end up in us playing negatively.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:09 pm

I found it odd the guardian were saying the defenders wanted to keep five at the back this year and Bruce humoured them. Why would he do this?
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:09 pm
I found it odd the guardian were saying the defenders wanted to keep five at the back this year and Bruce humoured them. Why would he do this?
I don't think it's a coincidence all of the veterans and longstanding members of the team are defenders, who were signed under Rafa, and want to stay in the side. I'm not necessarily surprised if he's saying they need to defend well to win, they'd say they need their preferred backline formation to do it. Not that he should have conceded to them if he disagreed.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:31 pm

Boss, we're really s***, can we all play and have a daft amount of protection from the midfield?

Bruce: Yep.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:48 pm

"Sorry Sean, Jeff and Isaac have already asked to play centre-midfield. Tell you what though, no-ones asked to play right wing yet."