Bruce responds to speculation, demands respect, compares himself to "the Mighty Rafa"

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Bruce responds to speculation, demands respect, compares himself to "the Mighty Rafa"

Post by Cal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:37 pm

There are some wonderful quotes from the pre Villa press conference.

The Chronicle seem to have got under his skin: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... w-19683863
With Eddie Howe's name spoken about as the potential next boss on Tyneside, Bruce feels some of the reporting has gone too far.

Bruce said: "Some of it needs to be more measured.

"I give respect. When I see polls, the next manager and the fella from Bournemouth, I find it disrespectful, I have to tell you.

"Your paper (the Chronicle) was gunning for a manager that got a team relegated last year."

Howe's name was initially mentioned in a comment piece in the aftermath of the League Cup exit at Brentford, and has since been used in articles about who the bookies feel is favourite to be next boss.

But Bruce has been able to continue with his job this week.

Speaking about exactly where United are going into the clash at Villa, Bruce said: "We're on a bad run, and we're not alone.

"We have 19 games and we're not yet at the halfway stage and haven't won for six matches.

"So we have done OK until the last five or six weeks, but we've had big problems with big players.

"We've had many problems and that's not an excuse.

"But what I will do, constantly, is try to keep a certain respectability and dignity about myself.

"Yet when I hear stuff like this (talk of time limits or ultimatums) I can say I have had nothing but support.

"Where that stuff comes from I do not know."
https://www.nufc.com/ has a nice, full response about Bruce's thoughts on his position being under threat.
Asked about an ultimatum from the club hierarchy regarding his future:

"It is absolutely the biggest pile of s**** I have ever heard."

"Yes of course I make mistakes along the way. We are only human, I've been in it and managed nearly 500 games in the Premier League and would like to think that deserves a little bit of respect.

"When you are on a bad run, of course, accept it, but some of the stuff has bordered on being outrageous.

"However, I am big enough to accept it and try to understand and work so we can get out of the bad run we're in.

"Am I alone with the managers at Newcastle over the last 15 years? Hasn't every manager been in exactly the same situation?

"Why (change manager)? What is it going to get you and what is it going to gain?

Some of it is unbelievable (media coverage) and maybe people need to change and give the club a little bit of respect rather than always being negative.

"Everything is negative, some has been vile - unless that changes it doesn't matter who will sit here, anybody could. That is why it is so difficult.

"I would ask the question: what do you gauge as success? I gauge success last year as matching Rafa's tally of points, of where we finished, because that's where we are at this particular moment.

"We are in the bottom half of the Premier League and we've been there for the best part of 15 years. What's realistic for where we are? In between eleventh and sixteenth? Is that realistic?

"Can we aim towards the top 10? We're three or four points adrift of that. Would that be an achievement? In my eyes, probably yes.

"We are where we are and we try to keep edging towards where I want to take us, which is probably towards the top 10. I've said that since I've walked through the door.

"At this particular moment, we're four or five points off it and we're on a bad run so it's time to keep working hard and hope things change.

"Rafa, who I have obviously heard a lot of and have the hugest respect for, like all you have, where did he finish? He's a world-class manager.

"Where did he finish? Is that a success? Probably.

"We matched the mighty Rafa last year so we'll try and do as best we can again this year."

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Re: Bruce responds to speculation, demands respect, compares himself to "the Mighty Rafa"

Post by krully » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:21 pm

500 games and what does he have to show for it?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Re: Bruce responds to speculation, demands respect, compares himself to "the Mighty Rafa"

Post by TJR » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:18 am

krully wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:21 pm
500 games and what does he have to show for it?
The worst Premier League win record of any manager to have managed 500 or more Premier League games. Quite the the achievement.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:40 pm

(Edit: wrong thread)
I had the first custom w***

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:59 am

Coward.
I had the first custom w***

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:28 pm

It's like watching a car crash.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:49 pm

To be fair I have said that he did better last season than Rafa had done and I stand by it. But he has gotten worse as time has gone on, as have the performances. I'm seeing no chance of him turning it around and he is clearly not the manager to take the club forward. Get rid before he gets us relegated.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:20 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:49 pm
To be fair I have said that he did better last season than Rafa had done and I stand by it. But he has gotten worse as time has gone on, as have the performances. I'm seeing no chance of him turning it around and he is clearly not the manager to take the club forward. Get rid before he gets us relegated.
I can't agree with this - I think we were incredibly lucky last season - just when we were getting sucked into a relegation battle we picked up an undeserved win against Chelsea followed by THAT point at Everton. Not one to kick on, draws at home to Norwich and Burnley heaped the pressure back on before a sloppy first half red allowed us to steal 3 points down at Southampton. We kept picking up results we probably didn't deserve just to keep out of trouble and I don't think that's sustainable. Eventually you the rub of green goes against you and you are truly exposed. I feel this has happened. At no point under Rafa did I ever think we were at risk of going down but last season and especially now I feel it. In fact I think we're more likely to go down than not this season.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:37 pm

I'd say to anyone looking in from the outside it looked like he did as well as Rafa did last season. But even though we finished the same position in the league as we did in Rafa's last season we had a point less (neither here nor there) but the bigger indicator of things starting to fall apart from the orgainsation that Rafa had was that we conceded more goals and scored fewer goals. That trend has continued into this season and become more extreme.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:43 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:20 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:49 pm
I can't agree with this - I think we were incredibly lucky last season - just when we were getting sucked into a relegation battle we picked up an undeserved win against Chelsea followed by THAT point at Everton. Not one to kick on, draws at home to Norwich and Burnley heaped the pressure back on before a sloppy first half red allowed us to steal 3 points down at Southampton. We kept picking up results we probably didn't deserve just to keep out of trouble and I don't think that's sustainable. Eventually you the rub of green goes against you and you are truly exposed. I feel this has happened. At no point under Rafa did I ever think we were at risk of going down but last season and especially now I feel it. In fact I think we're more likely to go down than not this season.
And I'm sure we can nitpick our way through Rafa's season and identify a lot of lucky results too (the win against Man City before they went on their undefeated run springs to mind). We were just as passive and lucky under Rafa, even though he clearly had a more distinct and intentional style of play. As for the reply to your post, he may have maintained a better goal differential, but when we'd shut up shop while losing to protect our goal differential, I don't remember anyone commending it then.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:47 pm

The most baffling thing in both of Rafa's Premier League seasons was the way he'd basically not start playing until January, and have to make it up second half of the season. I mentioned the other day this media narrative of him pulling miracles from a poor side, but the second half of both seasons showed how this squad (more or less, couple of additions since) can actually play if allowed to. I don't really want to go back to that.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:36 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:43 pm
Captain Obvious wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:20 pm

And I'm sure we can nitpick our way through Rafa's season and identify a lot of lucky results too (the win against Man City before they went on their undefeated run springs to mind). We were just as passive and lucky under Rafa, even though he clearly had a more distinct and intentional style of play. As for the reply to your post, he may have maintained a better goal differential, but when we'd shut up shop while losing to protect our goal differential, I don't remember anyone commending it then.

Put it this way - Rafa's Newcastle would stroll to victory against Bruce's. The football the last 3 or 4 games has been as bad as I can ever remember. McLaren/Carver levels of bad. Have we genuinely created even half a chance since the Wilson first half header v Sheffield United?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:46 am

Captain Obvious wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:36 am
Remember Colo wrote:

Put it this way - Rafa's Newcastle would stroll to victory against Bruce's. The football the last 3 or 4 games has been as bad as I can ever remember. McLaren/Carver levels of bad. Have we genuinely created even half a chance since the Wilson first half header v Sheffield United?
All I can think of is the couple of good chances that Carroll had v Arsenal in the cup game. Can't remember us troubling Villa at all, or Arsenal in the league game.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:54 am

Captain Obvious wrote:
Remember Colo wrote:

And again I'd counter that by saying it would depend on whether the game was played in October or March. If it was October Rafa would play the flat back 5 and the game would eventually be voided as neither team would dare touch the ball. In March you're absolutely right.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:07 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:54 am
Captain Obvious wrote:

And again I'd counter that by saying it would depend on whether the game was played in October or March. If it was October Rafa would play the flat back 5 and the game would eventually be voided as neither team would dare touch the ball. In March you're absolutely right.
Seconded. Other than the mugging of Spurs on the final day after relegation, I don't remember us strolling to victory against anyone during his time. We were always harder to beat, but we rarely ever played like we wanted to win - especially until faced with relegation halfway into the seasons.