NUFC Out of Contract Players: Keep or Ditch?

Who would you keep?

Murphy
36%
Gayle
11%
Carroll
13%
Fernandez
36%
Atsu
2%
Saivet
2%
Lazaar
2%

Total votes: 64

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: NUFC Out of Contract Players: Keep or Ditch?

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:07 am

Yeah I've no problem in him being part of our Championship squad as he's still get plenty of goals, it just shows the ambition/thinking of the club and the fact that it doesn't really matter if we stay up as if we do we'll be in another relegation scrap next season. None of us can see Ashley investing heavily in the areas needed for next season so it'll be the same reliance on Wilson (and to a lesser extent ASM/Almiron) to score goals, a slow midfield with little creativity, and average full backs. Knowing us we'll spend most of our budget on Phil Jones even though we have Lascelles, Clark, Lejuene (if we don't sell him), Schar and Fernandez (if they renew).

Wouldn't be surprised if we try and cash in on Woodman this summer too as might be able to get a decent price for him <urgh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:14 am

Don’t think resigning Gayle is bad business at all. In fact, I was concerned that we could get relegated and lose him on a free at the same time. He’s a much better striker than people give him credit for. It’s just a shame Bruce is as thick as mince.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:19 pm

Sounds like the club are activating the option of a one year extension on Schar's contract.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu May 06, 2021 11:25 am

We've supposedly offered Gayle a new deal and activated a 1 year extension on Schar (perhaps so we don't lose him for nothing).

Carroll to be released
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 06, 2021 11:32 am

Yeah the Gayle one of reduced terms surfaced a few weeks ago.

Schar is a no-brainer to activate the extension.

Carroll clearly can't do a job at this level anymore so correct decision. Joelinton has many faults but he is strong and can hold the ball up, which is essentially the only thing that Carroll offers now (when he's fit).

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Thu May 06, 2021 12:08 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:32 am

Carroll clearly can't do a job at this level anymore so correct decision. Joelinton has many faults but he is strong and can hold the ball up, which is essentially the only thing that Carroll offers now (when he's fit).
This. Joelinton isn't on Rondon's or Carroll (in his prime) level of strength, hold-up play or aerial threat but he's improved this season with his link-up, hold-up play, in the air & technique just nowhere near clinical enough yet to be all-round a good striker like Wilson.. even Wilson isn't prolific but he's in double figures this season in only 19 games.. so imagine if he played 30 games could have hit 15 or more goals. Next season with better support & no injuries he'll score more.. similar to Joelinton who will only improve now he's got more experience at this level & reaching his peak years(still only 24) but I don't think Joelinton will ever be a clinical striker who will score 15-20 goals a season but if he can chip in with 7+ & contribute with assists / general link up play then great.. I see him more as an second striker/attacking mid/left-hand side attacker.. like a mix between a 7, 10 & 9.. less so a 9 as he isn't a finisher like that right now.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu May 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:08 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:32 am

This. Joelinton isn't on Rondon's or Carroll (in his prime) level of strength, hold-up play or aerial threat but he's improved this season with his link-up, hold-up play, in the air & technique just nowhere near clinical enough yet to be all-round a good striker like Wilson.. even Wilson isn't prolific but he's in double figures this season in only 19 games.. so imagine if he played 30 games could have hit 15 or more goals. Next season with better support & no injuries he'll score more.. similar to Joelinton who will only improve now he's got more experience at this level & reaching his peak years(still only 24) but I don't think Joelinton will ever be a clinical striker who will score 15-20 goals a season but if he can chip in with 7+ & contribute with assists / general link up play then great.. I see him more as an second striker/attacking mid/left-hand side attacker.. like a mix between a 7, 10 & 9.. less so a 9 as he isn't a finisher like that right now.
Agreed, though I'll go a step further and that with Joelinton I think it's less to do with his finishing, but even more to do with not getting in the right attacking positions to get opportunities to finish - which is a huge skill for 9s.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 06, 2021 3:15 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:28 pm
Sanchino wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:08 pm

Agreed, though I'll go a step further and that with Joelinton I think it's less to do with his finishing, but even more to do with not getting in the right attacking positions to get opportunities to finish - which is a huge skill for 9s.
Yeah I think he has got a bit better recently, but for a lot of the time it's seemed he's reluctant (or scared) to get into the box.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu May 06, 2021 3:21 pm

His finishing is poor though, while I'd admit it's rare he's in the right position when he does get close to the 6 yard box he regularly fluffs his lines. Even some of the ones that have gone in haven't been particularly well hit, though he's yet to do the Riviere QPR goal...

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu May 06, 2021 4:04 pm

I don't understand what we've done with Gayle/Carroll. Last few months we're throwing Gayle on when we're chasing a game and then hoofing the ball up to his head.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 06, 2021 4:15 pm

ALF wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:04 pm
I don't understand what we've done with Gayle/Carroll. Last few months we're throwing Gayle on when we're chasing a game and then hoofing the ball up to his head.
He did score a header v WBA earlier in the season, if it works once then Bruce sticks with it forever.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu May 06, 2021 4:33 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:15 pm
ALF wrote:
He did score a header v WBA earlier in the season, if it works once then Bruce sticks with it forever.
Got the assist against Liverpool with a header too, maybe Bruce knows what he's doing... :bandit:

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu May 06, 2021 6:51 pm

ALF wrote:
Are you suggesting we should customize tactics to personnel?! <yikes>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu May 06, 2021 6:58 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:51 pm
ALF wrote:
Are you suggesting we should customize tactics to personnel?! <yikes>
Are you suggesting we should employ tactics?! <yikes>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 11, 2021 2:51 pm

Gayle despite his size I've always felt is decent in the air, so I don't see an issue that as some have pointed out he has scored some important goals for us with his head.

Always with long ball the big part you have to look at too is support for the player which I think is more what we lack.

I've actually been impressed with Joelinton this season for all the criticism he's received he's held the ball up to bring others into play and has bagged a few goals too, as Sanchino says he's only 24 so is still young and seems to be getting used to English game.

In terms of contracts I haven't heard much more about Fernandez, I'd imagine given he's over 30 (32 or 33) we may not offer him anything more then another 1 year deal if we do, we're also very interested in Kristoffer Ajer so he may be a replacement for him, plus of course Lejuene coming back from loan too.
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 11, 2021 3:04 pm

Wish we’d hurry up and get Murphy signed up.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:04 pm
Wish we’d hurry up and get Murphy signed up.
True think he's done a great job since moving to right wing back...bar the Wolves game but we can blame Ritchie for that <laugh>
I'll Hazard a guess