Bruce speaks on omission of Longstaff brothers

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Bruce speaks on omission of Longstaff brothers

Post by Cal » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:32 pm

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/fo ... ed-3125730
Bruce – who named 18-year-old midfielder Elliot Anderson on his bench ahead of the elder Longstaff brother against Crystal Palace and Everton – was asked about [Sean Longstaff’s] form ahead this term ahead of the Southampton game.

“I’m never going to comment on individual players, but Sean and Matty get highlighted the most because, you know, they’re Newcastle lads,” said Bruce, who signed Joe Willock on loan from Arsenal this week to give himself a “different” option in midfield.

“Unfortunately, he (Sean) has gone up and down too quickly. He’s played well one week, and not so well the next. He’s got to find that consistently. He’s only a young lad, and it happened for him very, very quickly.

"He’s got to get on with it, and deal with the situation he’s in, and roll up his sleeves and get back in the team.”

“With the two Longstaff brothers, it’s the same as any other midfield player too,” said Bruce. “We’ve got competition for places. That’s got to be part and parcel of a very, very good squad.

"At the end of the day now, we’ve had too many disappointing performances as a team, which has led to different changes.

"So it’s quite simple for me. You play well, the team picks itself, like it did the other night for example. We did so well against Everton, and the (players) deserved to stay in the team.

"So they have to roll up their sleeves and get prepared for competition for places, which is always healthy.”

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Re: Bruce speaks on omission of Longstaff brothers

Post by Sanchino » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:56 pm

That's fair tbh.. can't really argue with that. Him or Matty should have gone on loan to get regular games.. or Anderson for that matter.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:00 pm

Probably the most sensible thing hes said in a long while. I imagine both will try to move on this summer if they are still in this position at the end of the season.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:03 pm

Would make sense... if it wasn't for Matty Longstaff being an absolute breath of fresh air in the few games he played. His ability to get up and down the pitch and carry the ball was a stark contrast to what we're used to.

Shelvey kills any momentum 90% of the time he touches the ball, and you barely notice Hendrick is on the pitch unless he's doing something s***. They've done very, very little to keep either of the Longstaffs out the team.

Hayden and Willock should be an exciting foundation for the centre of our midfield. The other place in the middle is up for grabs.
Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:00 pm
Probably the most sensible thing hes said in a long while. I imagine both will try to move on this summer if they are still in this position at the end of the season.
Wouldn't blame them if they left. Feels like the only way they can kick on at the club is if Bruce goes. And I dont have much hope of that happening.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Yeah I agree that it doesn't make much sense in relation to Matty. Sean has been in bad form and probably needs to prove he is worth a place in the team but Matty has been, imo, better than Hendrick when used this season. Yet he seems to disappear from Bruce's plans after every run out, whilst Hendrick gets an endless string of games to confirm how s*** he is.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:36 pm

It's **** in every sense. We can name 9 subs yet today we didn't name a CM on the bench.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:44 pm

Maybe Steve wants to be the only Geordie in the stadium <laugh> With Hendrick out maybe Matty L to come in to the midfield? I'd prefer a three of MLongstaff, Willock and Hayden, with the latter in the preferred deeper role. Understandably with our injury problems, Hayden may play at the centre of the defence. He is good there, but he's obviously our best option at CDM.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:05 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:44 pm
Maybe Steve wants to be the only Geordie in the stadium <laugh> With Hendrick out maybe Matty L to come in to the midfield? I'd prefer a three of MLongstaff, Willock and Hayden, with the latter in the preferred deeper role. Understandably with our injury problems, Hayden may play at the centre of the defence. He is good there, but he's obviously our best option at CDM.
Not even Harry's going to get rid of Shelvey from our midfield with Bruce in charge.

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:39 pm

CIH wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:44 pm
This would be my ideal three. No Hendrick or Shelvey. Hayden in the DM role while M.Longstaff & Willock can interchange attacking roles (box-to-box) both young, hungry, energetic, mobile & dynamic. <ok>