Latest takeover shenanigans

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Latest takeover shenanigans

Post by Speedo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:19 am

To be honest, I’m not sure MBS interfering - when the biggest issue seems to be whether or not he could interfere - is particularly helpful...
I had the first custom w***

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Latest takeover shenanigans

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:18 am

It's one leader talking to another leader to push through a business transaction. The argument is legal separation and who would be a director of the club. This is nothing new and not unique to KSA I'm sure leaders across the world lobby other leaders to get their countries businesses contracts etc.

If lobbying was evidence of directorship for NUFC then every single fan signing petitions would need to be classed as potential directors too.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:01 am

I always thought the main stumbling block to the deal going through was about BeIn sports and piracy; given that BeIn was banned from transmitting into most Middle East countries and there were allegations that KSA actively supported pirated broadcasts of football.

Seeing that the majority of the Middle East, including Saudi, have opted to be friends again and move on - BeIn is now allowed to transmit to all the Middle East again.

This PIF/MBS separation issue wasn't the real blocker.

MBS lobbying Boris to help get a deal over the line isn't an issue either as every country lobbies each other to get deals done.

Will it go through? Who knows.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:26 am

Deal done in time for the summer transfer window...Haaland incoming <roll>

God knows what's going on but I'm not expecting anything to happen.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 am

I just read the updates when they come, last year's saga taught me to not get too invested in this, if it happens it happens.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:05 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 am
I just read the updates when they come, last year's saga taught me to not get too invested in this, if it happens it happens.
Yep, very wise. I’m the same.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:11 pm

Best thing to come out of all this, is this account, scarily accurate. <laugh>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:31 pm

I think it does reinforce that the Prince being separate from PIF is a joke though, they are one and the same and pretending otherwise was blissful ignorance. Now whether that should matter is a separate conversation. Also, if true and he actually threatened impacts on the British and Saudi political relationship (his threats aren't as empty as if it were Belgium or something), I really don't want Newcastle United used as a political football, which makes it a bit exceptional compared to general politcal lobbying.

Ultimately I've just never wanted us associated with politics in that way, knowing should they successfully buy the club, every time there's a story about an assassination attempt, weapons deal or oil prices, they'll note they're owners of Newcastle United, and I'd rather do without that. Just as it's annoying Newcastle gets called out every time Ashley is sued, buys another failing high street brand or treats his employees like chattel.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:03 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:31 pm
I think it does reinforce that the Prince being separate from PIF is a joke though, they are one and the same and pretending otherwise was blissful ignorance. Now whether that should matter is a separate conversation. Also, if true and he actually threatened impacts on the British and Saudi political relationship (his threats aren't as empty as if it were Belgium or something), I really don't want Newcastle United used as a political football, which makes it a bit exceptional compared to general politcal lobbying.

Ultimately I've just never wanted us associated with politics in that way, knowing should they successfully buy the club, every time there's a story about an assassination attempt, weapons deal or oil prices, they'll note they're owners of Newcastle United, and I'd rather do without that. Just as it's annoying Newcastle gets called out every time Ashley is sued, buys another failing high street brand or treats his employees like chattel.
This. If anyone ever believed there was a separation from a practical perspective, regardless of how they manage to blag it legally, they need their heads examining. If you want this to go through just admit that you don't care, don't bother with those daft hoops.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:56 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:03 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:31 pm

This. If anyone ever believed there was a separation from a practical perspective, regardless of how they manage to blag it legally, they need their heads examining. If you want this to go through just admit that you don't care, don't bother with those daft hoops.
These. Totally agree!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 pm

It's a morally bankrupt business and has been for a long time, like I've said before I've never followed football for any moral reason and I'm not going to start if KSA/PIF takeover our club. Also ive noticed nobody says jot about the PL being in bed with Qatar for the past how many years. It's not like they are saints yet nobody has had an issue watching premier League football and questioned the morality of watching a league that's heavily backed/financed by a regime that is equally controversial.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 pm

This could be significant

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:22 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 pm
It's a morally bankrupt business and has been for a long time, like I've said before I've never followed football for any moral reason and I'm not going to start if KSA/PIF takeover our club. Also ive noticed nobody says jot about the PL being in bed with Qatar for the past how many years. It's not like they are saints yet nobody has had an issue watching premier League football and questioned the morality of watching a league that's heavily backed/financed by a regime that is equally controversial.
Daft reasoning.

''No one'' has complained about Qatari involvement (they have) and football is already ''morally bankrupt'' so we can't complain about our club potentially being taken over by homophobic, women hating, slave owning fascists?

I genuinely cannot understand how anyone can complain about Mike Ashley then welcome the Saudis <laugh>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:22 am

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:22 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 pm
Daft reasoning.

''No one'' has complained about Qatari involvement (they have) and football is already ''morally bankrupt'' so we can't complain about our club potentially being taken over by homophobic, women hating, slave owning fascists?

I genuinely cannot understand how anyone can complain about Mike Ashley then welcome the Saudis <laugh>
Money plain and simple. I've said before, if the Saudis were bringing no more money to the table than Ashley has been, then they wouldn't want them either. They expect a massive cash injection and the success and trophies that that will bring, so principles are for sale.

By the same token, if Ashley had injected the necessary cash for success then they would have made excuses for him and not criticised. Excuses will be made for any owner who brings success or even brings the hope or expectation of success. That 97% of those signing on for the trust support this takeover leaves me extremely disillusioned about humanity, no wonder the world is so f***ed up.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:21 am

All I want is a bit of honesty. I hope all those people who were supposedly boycotting because of Sports Direct's treatment of staff, the Wonga sponsorship etc aren't among those 97%.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am

People are allowed to do what they like as long as they are not directly effecting you. People don't owe honesty to people they don't know over choices that don't affect them.

I personally will be delighted if the club gets success from this and won't lose any sleep whatsoever over the moral dilemma nor will I lose any sleep about those who want to judge me over it.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 am

I appreciate your honesty...

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:00 pm

Can’t we just bump the other takeover thread as there’s about 50 pages of people’s views on the Saudi state <laugh>

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:15 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am
People are allowed to do what they like as long as they are not directly effecting you. People don't owe honesty to people they don't know over choices that don't affect them.

I personally will be delighted if the club gets success from this and won't lose any sleep whatsoever over the moral dilemma nor will I lose any sleep about those who want to judge me over it.
Very much 6th Form politics but each to their own.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:19 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:22 am
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:22 pm

Daft reasoning.

Money plain and simple. I've said before, if the Saudis were bringing no more money to the table than Ashley has been, then they wouldn't want them either. They expect a massive cash injection and the success and trophies that that will bring, so principles are for sale.

By the same token, if Ashley had injected the necessary cash for success then they would have made excuses for him and not criticised. Excuses will be made for any owner who brings success or even brings the hope or expectation of success. That 97% of those signing on for the trust support this takeover leaves me extremely disillusioned about humanity, no wonder the world is so f***ed up.
I mean I get the injection of cash and success but the whole Ashley hating thing started with him binning Keegan, apparently that was morally reprehensible. The treatment of Jonas (and even Raylor) was disgusting and people were willing to get up in arms about it. The treatment of Hughton and Benitez caused uproar... But Saudi involvement doesn't ? It makes very little sense from those who (righlty) fought against the above but are more than happy to have Saudi flags in their twitter names