Wilson ruled out of final 3 games

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Wilson ruled out of final 3 games

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 11, 2021 10:09 am

Thank god we’re safe!

Definitely need to sign cover for him as these hamstring injuries seem pretty common.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Re: Wilson ruled out of final 3 games

Post by Speedo » Tue May 11, 2021 10:24 am

Tbh I suspect they were prepared to risk it if we weren't safe, but are now being conservative (which is the right thing to do). But still a shame. Hopefully a chance for Elliot Anderson to get a game, albeit he's not a pure striker. So probs will be some more Joelinton.
I had the first custom w***

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 11, 2021 10:45 am

Nah, Bruce has given Anderson his 5 mins for the season so that’s him done. I mean what kind of manager would do something as wreck-less as giving a young player with potential a couple of dead rubber games at the end of the season to show what he can do? That’s crazy talk.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 11, 2021 11:08 am

The way Wilson's last injury dragged on makes me think he wasn't quite 100% when coming back but we knew we needed him so took the risk. I can't remember him struggling or pulling up against Leicester so there is a good chance this is just carry on from the last one. Either way he has a long rest now to get himself back to 100%, I think decent cover for him is a must in the window though. Hopefully there is something in the Armstrong links.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue May 11, 2021 11:11 am

Hes always gonna have stretches out. We'll struggle again with this next season
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 11, 2021 11:18 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:08 am
The way Wilson's last injury dragged on makes me think he wasn't quite 100% when coming back but we knew we needed him so took the risk. I can't remember him struggling or pulling up against Leicester so there is a good chance this is just carry on from the last one. Either way he has a long rest now to get himself back to 100%, I think decent cover for him is a must in the window though. Hopefully there is something in the Armstrong links.
Yeah, I think about 3 months until the start of next season so lots of rest and conditioning work hopefully. It's good that we don't have to throw him in v Sheffield Utd or Fulham and risk a serious long-term injury (as we've done before with Lejeune).

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 11, 2021 11:34 am

I'll be devils advocate here, I don't think we done too bad without him Saint Max was the real key for us.

Definitely agree that he may have risked a little more if we weren't safe, I remember something similar a few years back with Lascelles were he played through an injury until we were safe then had an operation to fix it.

I'll also add in my years of playing and working in football I've never come across a player who is 100% fit.

Will definitely be an area we should be looking at in the summer.
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 11, 2021 12:06 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:34 am
I'll be devils advocate here, I don't think we done too bad without him Saint Max was the real key for us.

Definitely agree that he may have risked a little more if we weren't safe, I remember something similar a few years back with Lascelles were he played through an injury until we were safe then had an operation to fix it.

I'll also add in my years of playing and working in football I've never come across a player who is 100% fit.

Not sure I'd agree on the ASM point, prior to his most recent return from injury he hadn't really done much this season. If you think back to before there was a Covid outbreak he was having a very average at best season. For me Wilson has been far more important this season.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue May 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
I think he did it with basically the last kick of the game, when he took a shot from miles out and badly miscued it. But as others have said, it's probably an abundance-of-caution thing, especially given his past ACL injuries (the way they rebuild it puts more strain on the hamstring, according to my physio this lunchtime...)

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 11, 2021 2:19 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:06 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

Not sure I'd agree on the ASM point, prior to his most recent return from injury he hadn't really done much this season. If you think back to before there was a Covid outbreak he was having a very average at best season. For me Wilson has been far more important this season.
I'd agree that Wilson was more important in the first half of the season, and ASM has been more vital to our late season turnaround. I think ASM was really playing through some niggling injuries early in the year even before he went down with the COVID. Looking forward, I think we still need another striker we can rely on for some production when Wilson is injured or needing rest. But as everyone knows, I don't think any strikers will meet their potential until we overhaul the central midfield.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 11, 2021 2:41 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:19 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:06 pm

I'd agree that Wilson was more important in the first half of the season, and ASM has been more vital to our late season turnaround. I think ASM was really playing through some niggling injuries early in the year even before he went down with the COVID. Looking forward, I think we still need another striker we can rely on for some production when Wilson is injured or needing rest. But as everyone knows, I don't think any strikers will meet their potential until we overhaul the central midfield.
Yep agreed Colo
I'll Hazard a guess

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue May 11, 2021 4:02 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:

Completely blanking on his name now, Croatian defender, played at Liverpool and Saints. He said something similar, I think it was a long the lines of if a player waits until he's 100% fit to play, then he'll never play.
Remember Colo wrote:

Let's bring Armstrong back <awe>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 11, 2021 4:39 pm

CIH wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:02 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

Completely blanking on his name now, Croatian defender, played at Liverpool and Saints. He said something similar, I think it was a long the lines of if a player waits until he's 100% fit to play, then he'll never play.
Remember Colo wrote:

Lovren ;)
I'll Hazard a guess

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue May 11, 2021 4:50 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:39 pm
CIH wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:02 pm

Lovren ;)
Ta <laugh> Completely slipped my mind haha
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Wed May 12, 2021 12:21 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
This. Armstrong would be ideal.. if not there's a few names which we should look at.. Diagne at West Brom looks a handful & could be a upgraded Carroll replacement. Would anyone take Mitrovic back from Fulham? Morelos from Rangers or Edouard from Celtic both look too good for the SPL would take either one of them? If we're looking outside of the UK.. Paul Onuachu from the Belgium League is a tall 6ft 7 beast of a striker he's scored 31 goals in 35 league games.. Arsenal are linked to him. Maybe dip into the Czech market which has been West Ham's transfer blueprint to success.. Jan Kuchta & Abdallah Sima look like talents. Dusan Vlahovic from Florentina who's only 21 & has scored 21 goals for a mid-table Florentina side this season. Usually I wouldn't say buy from the Dutch League as a lot of flops have been exported to the Prem.. but for every Kezmen & Alfonso Alves there's a Van Nisteroude & Dusan Tadic. Anyway Donyell Malen looks looks like a star in the making... bigger clubs are fishing for him so it'll be tough but he's young, pacey, technical & skilful.

Whoever it may be.. we can't simply rely on Gayle & Joelinton to score on a regular basis.. we need more than that. Carroll looks past it & is set to leave. As good as ASM has looked recently upfront I still prefer him on the wing but he's starting to get accustomed to the striker role in the 3-5-2 system. So we definitely need a striker to compete & deputise for Wilson. <ok>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm

Diagne has looked quite good and could be available on loan, so would suit Ashley. Plus he signed for WBA so he's clearly not bothered about playing for a decent team <laugh> Wouldn't be surprised at all if we got someone like him on loan.

Mitrovic no, that ship has sailed and he's had a couple of seasons in the PL with Fulham and not done a lot (especially this season).

Morelos is a psycho and presumably wants to play in the CL for Rangers, Edouard I'd like but likely to be way out of our price range. Can't say I know any of the others names you mention but certainly some impressive scoring records.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed May 12, 2021 1:12 pm

Looks like we need ASM to carry us to the giddy heights of 13th place in the league.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 12, 2021 1:16 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:12 pm
Looks like we need ASM to carry us to the giddy heights of 13th place in the league.
13th place is the aspirational target <gent>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed May 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm
Diagne has looked quite good and could be available on loan, so would suit Ashley. Plus he signed for WBA so he's clearly not bothered about playing for a decent team <laugh> Wouldn't be surprised at all if we got someone like him on loan.

Mitrovic no, that ship has sailed and he's had a couple of seasons in the PL with Fulham and not done a lot (especially this season).

Morelos is a psycho and presumably wants to play in the CL for Rangers, Edouard I'd like but likely to be way out of our price range. Can't say I know any of the others names you mention but certainly some impressive scoring records.
When it comes to price range, I think it'll be interesting to see how the transfer market responds to the global economy. England dominated the previous window(s), and a lot of clubs are probably even worse off now. Doesn't mean we'll likely big big spenders, but a lot of clubs probably aren't in a position to hold out for max price, nor will others have the same budget for spending themselves.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed May 12, 2021 5:02 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:31 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm

When it comes to price range, I think it'll be interesting to see how the transfer market responds to the global economy. England dominated the previous window(s), and a lot of clubs are probably even worse off now. Doesn't mean we'll likely big big spenders, but a lot of clubs probably aren't in a position to hold out for max price, nor will others have the same budget for spending themselves.
Prices have definitely gone down - Willock quoted at £20m is a good example, a young english player who scored 5 in 11 would've cost £40m 2 years ago. But I think there'll be a lot more free transfers/cheap deals, especially to England from Europe where they've been hit worse financially. The new domestic Prem TV deal (same terms, 3 yr extension) is a lot better than most countries have managed (Germany down 5%; Italy down 25%; France much worse than that)