Match day thread - NUFC v Sheffield United

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Match day thread - NUFC v Sheffield United

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 19, 2021 6:30 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:56 pm
Brilliant goal, I've not shouted so loud for such a meaningless goal.
Keeps us in the hunt for the 13th place trophy <fist>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 19, 2021 6:42 pm

Injuries <urgh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed May 19, 2021 6:44 pm

So many injuries. Whatever Bruce has done to put medical department since Rafa left, it’s bollocks
I had the first custom w***

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed May 19, 2021 6:52 pm

Almiron has been gash past month or so, always makes the wrong decisions when we are on the attack.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed May 19, 2021 6:59 pm

Decent win in the end, should’ve been more but for their keeper and some iffy decision making. But decent result.
I had the first custom w***

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed May 19, 2021 7:00 pm

That ref is awful, same one that got in the way of the ball 3-4 times in the space of 30 minutes earlier in the season.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 19, 2021 8:32 pm

Wow what a difference the crowd makes at St James great atmosphere.. Anyone from here able to attend?
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 19, 2021 8:35 pm

Speedo wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:59 pm
Decent win in the end, should’ve been more but for their keeper and some iffy decision making. But decent result.
Yep, ramsdale made at least 3 saves during the game. Definitely a few greedy moments from Gayle and Willock when they went themselves instead of passing.
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed May 19, 2021 9:56 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:32 pm
Wow what a difference the crowd makes at St James great atmosphere.. Anyone from here able to attend?
I decided not to apply in the ballot (thought I'd play it safe for the sake of one game that was basically a pre season friendly), but the other three I travel with did go. I was a bit jealous when I put the telly on...

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Thu May 20, 2021 8:24 am

Speedo wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:59 pm
This. First half was good, lovely goal not only Willock's movement & header but ASM's skill & vision to find Murphy who delivered a peach of a cross. Second half was solid / professional as we had chances to make it 2 but was so frustrating seeing Gayle in so much space but ASM, Miggy & Carroll at the end all ignored him when he could have been through on goal or had a tap in on several occasions. Anyways meaningless game & had a ''friendly already thinking about the holidays'' vibe about it but we got the win & that's what matters. <ok>

If Willock, ASM & Joelinton aren't fit to play the last game against Fulham I'll freshen things up & go with this team..

Dubra
Manquillo Kraft Fernandez Dummet Ritchie
Shelvey - Miggy - S.Longstaff / M.Longstaff
Murphy --- Gayle

Unlikely we'll change formation but if we do I'll go for..

Dubra
Manquillo Fernandez Dummet Lewis
Shelvey S.Longstaff / M.Longstaff**
Murphy Miggy Ritchie
Carroll*

*two of our best crossers on the pitch so ideal to start Carroll in what looks like his final game.. deserves a start to try & at least get a goodbye goal.
**I would start both Longstaffs but Bruce won't drop Shelvey.

Schar's back from his ban so could be involved too.. think he'll be on the bench. Would like to see some youngsters coming of the bench & getting a few minutes (Vilca, Francillette, Toure, Allan, etc).. if ASM is not fit we need to give Manquillo a start at RB/RWB & push Murphy further forward to inject some pace upfront in the absence of ASM.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 20, 2021 8:51 am

A win v Fulham could/should see us finish 13th as on paper you'd expect Palace to lose at Liverpool, and Southampton to lose to West Ham. Unfortunately I think Wolves will beat a Man U Reserves XI (game is 3 days before the Europa League Final) so the glamour of p12 is out of reach.

I'd like to see Lewis get some game time (if ASM is out then starting Ritchie further forward in front of him would give him some cover, which was part of the issue earlier in the season). I wouldn't be starting Carroll but suspect he'll get 10 minutes at the end as a farewell. His time at the top level is clearly over, wonder if a Championship club will take him? He could still do a job if used correctly and has his minutes managed properly. Hopefully Willock is fit as can see him causing Fulham problems and bagging a goal or two.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu May 20, 2021 9:01 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:51 am
A win v Fulham could/should see us finish 13th as on paper you'd expect Palace to lose at Liverpool, and Southampton to lose to West Ham. Unfortunately I think Wolves will beat a Man U Reserves XI (game is 3 days before the Europa League Final) so the glamour of p12 is out of reach.

I'd like to see Lewis get some game time (if ASM is out then starting Ritchie further forward in front of him would give him some cover, which was part of the issue earlier in the season). I wouldn't be starting Carroll but suspect he'll get 10 minutes at the end as a farewell. His time at the top level is clearly over, wonder if a Championship club will take him? He could still do a job if used correctly and has his minutes managed properly. Hopefully Willock is fit as can see him causing Fulham problems and bagging a goal or two.
Even if they were to lose, can't see us making up the 3 goal difference to finish above them.
I'll Hazard a guess

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:01 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Even if they were to lose, can't see us making up the 3 goal difference to finish above them.
Doubt we'll score loads, but they could always get hammered

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu May 20, 2021 10:01 am

Beatski wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:01 am

Doubt we'll score loads, but they could always get hammered
Perhaps who knows
I'll Hazard a guess

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Thu May 20, 2021 5:52 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:

Agreed.. Ritchie further forward will defo help Lewis as he knows he's got solid cover & can bomb up forward. I'll like too see Murphy further up forward with Manquillo playing in the RB/RWB role, I think Murphy could do some damage as he's improved his crossing, technique, ball control, decision making & has pace to burn so if he's finishing boots are on could see him scoring/assisting more further up front/out-wide. Yeah you can clearly see Carroll's past it at this level, not only has he lost pace (not that he was that quick in his peak but at least he had more mobility & acceleration) but his aerial threat seems to have demised & his strength / hold-up play isn't nowhere as good as it used to be.. you can blame it on him not getting enough minutes but his goal scoring record in the past 4 years tells it's own stories (5 in 72 apps) so yeah in conclusion he's not Premier League standard no more but I think he'll still do a job in the Champs as you have more time on the ball, more physical & the tempo/rhythm of a game isn't so demanding & fast.. so for a club aspiring to get into the play-offs/challenge for promotion & wants a experienced target-man then you can't do worse than go for Big Andy.. could maybe even see him overseas in the states (MLS).. you know what would be nice? Reunited with Chris Hughton at Nottingham Forest.. Sammy Ameobi is there too.. what a link up that would be! <awe>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu May 20, 2021 6:45 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 5:52 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Agreed.. Ritchie further forward will defo help Lewis as he knows he's got solid cover & can bomb up forward. I'll like too see Murphy further up forward with Manquillo playing in the RB/RWB role, I think Murphy could do some damage as he's improved his crossing, technique, ball control, decision making & has pace to burn so if he's finishing boots are on could see him scoring/assisting more further up front/out-wide. Yeah you can clearly see Carroll's past it at this level, not only has he lost pace (not that he was that quick in his peak but at least he had more mobility & acceleration) but his aerial threat seems to have demised & his strength / hold-up play isn't nowhere as good as it used to be.. you can blame it on him not getting enough minutes but his goal scoring record in the past 4 years tells it's own stories (5 in 72 apps) so yeah in conclusion he's not Premier League standard no more but I think he'll still do a job in the Champs as you have more time on the ball, more physical & the tempo/rhythm of a game isn't so demanding & fast.. so for a club aspiring to get into the play-offs/challenge for promotion & wants a experienced target-man then you can't do worse than go for Big Andy.. could maybe even see him overseas in the states (MLS).. you know what would be nice? Reunited with Chris Hughton at Nottingham Forest.. Sammy Ameobi is there too.. what a link up that would be! <awe>
A lot in that post. But I'll lead by saying I agree that I think both Ritchie and Murphy are capable enough to sometimes play further forward on wings - at least from a skill perspective. Ritchie maybe doesn't have the pace anymore to be a regular there, but his delivery can still be productive from there against the right opposition.

As for Carroll, I could maybe see someone in MLS paying him, but I actually don't think he'd succeed over here. People act like it's a physical league, but I think it's better described as an athletic league. If you don't have pace (or compensate by being really skillful), probably will disappoint as an attacker. There's a reason the better MLS sides have been poaching younger attacking players from South America lately.