2020/21 Season Review

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

2020/21 Season Review

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 19, 2021 1:07 pm

Overall Season Review

So a season which begun with much fanfare and speculation over takeover well it turned into the usual Toon season of ups and downs.
Transfer wise the signings of Wilson, Fraser and Lewis brought much optimism (Hendrick did not). Now perhaps only Wilson really lived up to that pre-hype being the vocal point we lacked the season beforehand.

An opening day win away to West Ham had us all dreaming only for us to be brought back down with a bang at home to Brighton, a controversial last minute penalty against Spurs at least saved a disappointing September (I think we all would have taken 4 points from 9)

In between those PL games we did have a bit of a cup run even though we did make it tough on ourselves despite a favourable draw (Morecambe aside), though alas that cup run would come to an end away to Brentford in December.

December and January overall wasn't a great time for us, with the team crippled by a Covid outbreak with went on a run of picking up 2 points from a possible 30 a run which seen us drop to 17th and for us all to become fans of whoever Fulham played that week.

Doing the double over Everton and a smash and grab win over Southampton seen some of those fears allayed though subsequent losses to Chelsea, Man Utd, poor results and performances against West Brom, Villa and of course Brighton who we battling out with for potential safety with had even the most optimistic fan fearing the worst, especially as it coincided with a run by Fulham.

But thankfully once we started to be able to play our best players with Saint Maximin coming back and the integration of Joe Willock we started to turn the corner and guaranteed safety with 3 games to go with a fantastic win over Leicester.

This was followed by a 4-3 game at home to Champions Manchester City which wouldn't have been out of place during the Entertainers Era and our most recent 1-0 win over Sheffield Utd. Hopefully we can pick up another 3 points away to Fulham on the final day of the season to reach 45 points which will match our best points total since we came back into the PL.
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Fri May 21, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Re: 2020/21 Season Review

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 19, 2021 1:08 pm

Player Review

Goalkeeper

Darlow- I'll start with Darlow as he started the season, with Dubravka out injured. As I've said a few times over the past year I think Darlow is a decent keeper and he definitely picked us up a few points during the season which we didn't deserve Spurs and Liverpool spring to mind. I think due to this form he rightly kept his place even when Dubravka came back from injury though when a few errors started to creep back in Dubravka came back in.

Dubravka- As stated began the season injured and correctly imo stayed on the bench when he did return due to Darlow's form but as stated when Darlow's confidence started to wane back he came, a little rusty to begin with which you'd expect but his return coincided with an upturn in our results.

Gillespie- He was a signing a lot raised eyebrows about especially considering Goalkeeper is a position we're well stocked, nothing more the backup really (Mark will be the first to agree I'd imagine). Played in the League Cup, had a bit of a mare against Newport but overall I wouldn't be terrified if he was thrown in during a PL.

Defence

Clark- alongside Fernandez Clark played the most PL games for us this season for us at centre back, trying not to be Irish bias here but I've always found him one of our most reliable defensive options and was delighted to see him sign a new contract in January.

Lascelles- been a bit of a stop start season for Lascelles was one of the major losses to covid during the season and he's struggled with a few niggling injuries too. I've always said he might not be the best defender in the world but commitment wise he always gives 200% which is the mark of a great captain.

Fernandez- Looking highly likely that he may leave come the summer which will be sad to see as again he's a real leader on the pitch and our defence always looks that bit more solid when he plays.

Schar- a nasty shoulder injury and a knee injury seen him miss a good part of the season, poor form also played a part too, though I've always said on his day he's one of best defenders,rumours we've extended his deal until next season so hopefully he can rediscover his good form.

Dummett- reached 200 appearances for the Toon this year, as i've said before versatility is his best attribute whether playing centre back or left back he'll always put in a shift.

Lewis- a mixed first season for Lewis, he arrived with a lot of excitement and initially done well before mistakes started to creep in, still young and will hopefully learn for his experiences this season.

Krafth- I know he gets a lot of stick but I don't think he was ever as bad as his critics made him out to be, has stepped in to play centre back, right back, left back even played one game in centre mid if memory serves me right this season. A model pro , I was delighted to see him score against City.

Manquillo- like Dummett and Krafth and I think his ability to cover different positions is his strength, was a stop start season for him too due to injury/covid but he's slowly become a player we don't fear seeing on the team sheet anymore

Yedlin- left during the season, what can I say about Yedlin that i haven't said before, good going forward but was exposed too much defensively, was sad to see him go non the less.
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Fri May 21, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 19, 2021 1:08 pm

Player Review

Midfield

Shelvey- I'll probably get much criticism for this but I don't think Shelvey is a bad as people make him out to be, yes I think he can at times provide a little more pace to his passing but he does at times dictate games for us, and when he does play well we usually do too. Has the most completed passes in the team this season and is 2nd in interceptions too.

Hayden- Another good season for him, what can I say, Isaac is a workhorse, when fit he's usually the first on the teamsheet. Number 1 in terms of tackles won and interceptions shows were his strength lies, has played this season in midfield as well as centre back and right back when needed.

Almiron- A player who's energy we missed when he was out injured. He really just give us another level when he plays alongside Saint Max our best player, chipped in with a few goals too this season as well as being second in most tackles won which I think is a testament to his work ethic on the pitch.

Hendrick- a signing which didn't raise too many cheers, I don't think Hendrick was ever going to pull up any trees for us, but again I don't think he's been as bad as some have made him out to be.

Willock- The man who came in and scored the goals which kept us up, I'd make either getting him permanently or at least back in on loan again next year with an option to buy a priority, has given us that poaching instinct was midfield which we've lacked hopefully we can keep him.

S.Longstaff- probably not his best season for us maybe injuries are to blame but can really see him being an important player next season.

M.Longstaff- Not the season we'd hoped for Matty, whether his non inclusion was due to being poor in training or retribution for his contract stalemate from last season, I think he needs to be loaned out next year as game time will be crucial to his development.

Ritchie- what a player Ritchie is, mad as a hatter but we wouldn't change him for the world his little bust up with Bruce was one of the catalysts for change this season though i will say and I'm again going to be controversial here but if we received a decent offer 5-10m for him in the summer I wouldn't say no (if that money is invested correctly of course)

Murphy- has made that right wing back position his in the last few games, really hope he signs a new deal.

Fraser- He was a player we were all excited about but he never really got going due to injury hopefully next season is better

Forwards

Wilson- player of the season , has come in and scored the goals we lacked for a number 9 since Rondon. If he can stay fit next season I think he can reach double figures again.

Saint Maximin- when fit I think he's by far our best player, as I said on another topic, I believe him coming back from Covid really changed our fortunes. Can make something out of nothing hopefully we can fend off interest this summer.

Joelinton- has had a much better season this year, he's never going to be a prolific goalscorer but it doesn't mean he doesn't play an important part in our build up play, his hold up play has also improved a lot this season.

Gayle- as I said last season, he's your typical middle of the road player not good enough to lead the line in PL and too good for Championship level. I think he'll always put in a shift but if we bring in another striker in the summer he'll fill the 4th choice role.

Carroll- Our plan B , worked against Spurs early in the season but as the season progressed I think it was clear time had caught up on Andy. Will most likely leave in the summer when his contract expires. Would do well at Championship level I'd say.
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Fri May 21, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 19, 2021 1:09 pm

What is needed

Let's get it out of the way, yes I'd love a new coach to come in, but I don't think it will happen, has Bruce actually done as bad a job as people make out probably not, not saying he has done a good job either.

As stated in midfield review signing Willock should be priority number 1 be it permanently or another loan. If we can't get him we need someone with his energy or someone who could give us a bit of creative spark. Hakan Calhanoglu is someone we've scouted a bit over the last few seasons and he's hasn't signed a new contract with AC Milan yet though it does look likely he will.

It seems like Jetro Willems might returning which will be welcomed by all. We've also held discussions with Kristoffer Ajer from Celtic who'd provide cover for CB and CM.

Striker wise Ajer's Celtic teammate Odsonne Édouard is interesting a few PL teams ourselves included he could be available for 15-20m though I think Leicester are the front runners given his previous working relationship with Rodgers.

A few out of contracts strikers who might be of interest Robin Quaison, Joshua King, Rafeal Santos Borre
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Fri May 21, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed May 19, 2021 1:17 pm

Reserved for Ashley party, special request "next to fireplace".

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 19, 2021 1:27 pm

Can we skip the bit where we had something like 2 wins in 20 games and got knocked out of the League Cup to Brentford reserves please?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 19, 2021 1:41 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:27 pm
Can we skip the bit where we had something like 2 wins in 20 games and got knocked out of the League Cup to Brentford reserves please?
I'll gloss over it ;)

I think it's always important to remember the good and bad times
I'll Hazard a guess

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed May 19, 2021 4:34 pm

As long as we win the final game of the season - It'll be nicely bookended for me and I can forget the crap in the middle.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri May 21, 2021 12:21 pm

No bit reserved for Manager review?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri May 21, 2021 1:01 pm

ALF wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:21 pm
No bit reserved for Manager review?
Shall include in the what is needed section ;)
I'll Hazard a guess

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Fri May 21, 2021 1:06 pm

As good as we were against Man City in the 4-3 loss - I'm not sure 18% possession was quite "entertainers" level...!
I had the first custom w***

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri May 21, 2021 1:19 pm

Speedo wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:06 pm
As good as we were against Man City in the 4-3 loss - I'm not sure 18% possession was quite "entertainers" level...!
There's an important distinction between an entertaining match and us playing entertaining football. Man City match was definitely the former! <laugh>

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri May 21, 2021 1:48 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:19 pm
Speedo wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:06 pm
There's an important distinction between an entertaining match and us playing entertaining football. Man City match was definitely the former! <laugh>
Possession is overrated <whistle> <laugh>
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri May 21, 2021 6:49 pm

All updated now
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri May 21, 2021 8:17 pm

I don’t mind having low possession if we try to attack when we actually have the ball rather than just hoof it forward for the opposition to collect.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat May 22, 2021 4:38 pm

IMPORTANT SEASON REVIEW UPDATE...

Not only have we stayed in PL Sunderland gave once again failed to get promoted
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat May 22, 2021 4:42 pm

Shambles <laugh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat May 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sat May 22, 2021 4:45 pm

<laugh>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat May 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Blimey, in the Mackems post-match analysis they just said that they have 16 players either out of contract or finishing loans this summer. Could be a completely new lineup next season.