NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2021)

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2021)

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:43 am

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:48 am
It's from the mail, but apparently we've put a price tag of 10m on Sean Longstaff because his contract is running down. Bruce doesn't like either of the brothers haha.
The Athletic are reporting that if we sign a centre-mid, Longstaff will be permitted to leave. Rafa is keen (and has continued to advise him), but Everton have FFP problems - other clubs may want to wait until January for a reduce fee... Matty also likely on his way at some point soon. What a shame, felt like we had a promising homegrown midfield duo coming through, but it's all gone a bit to s***.

https://theathletic.co.uk/2764262/2021/ ... newcastle/

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:22 am

wel regret this for sure

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:40 am

More victims of our amateur approach to running a football club.

Sean never really came back the same after his injury for whatever reason, though did look better at the end of last season but nowhere near where he was when he first burst onto the scene.

Matty is a strange one, very limited game time but seemed to have his head turned by agents demanding big wages for what is essentially an academy player with a few games under his belt.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:42 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:55 am
Didn't realise his contract ran out next summer so if £10m comes in we're 100% accepting it, loaning Choudhary and Ashley pockets the rest.
We are very poorly run. and Ashley has sold real estate assets off. But he's never pocketed a transfer fee.

also I'd imagine the loan fee + agents fees cuts pretty hard into that £10m
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:33 pm

Just saw a video of Cissé training... And he wants back to the PL. <dotheameobi>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:03 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:33 pm
Just saw a video of Cissé training... And he wants back to the PL. <dotheameobi>
Charnley would probably call Djibril Cisse by mistake.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:33 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:40 am

Sean never really came back the same after his injury for whatever reason, though did look better at the end of last season but nowhere near where he was when he first burst onto the scene.

Matty is a strange one, very limited game time but seemed to have his head turned by agents demanding big wages for what is essentially an academy player with a few games under his belt.
This. It's a shame but it's looking likely they will both leave now. Better to get something for Sean now than let him go on a free. Get Barkley/Loftus-Cheek or Ox on loan or Cajuste/Zambo Anguissa .. we need another technical / defensive box-to-box midfielder to compliment Willock/Miggy. Hayden and Shelvey are simply not good enough anymore as starters. If we want to just barely survive then fair enough but if we want to be comfortable / challenge for the upper reaches of the table (mid to upper half challenging top 10) we need more quality in midfield. Sell Sean, loan out Matty & sell Hendrick. Bring in Barkley/Ox/Loftus Cheek on loan & bring in a technical but strong & powerful defensive mid. <ok>

Don't see it happening tho.. we'll probably just end up with Choudbury. <urgh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:00 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:33 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:40 am

This. It's a shame but it's looking likely they will both leave now. Better to get something for Sean now than let him go on a free. Get Barkley/Loftus-Cheek or Ox on loan or Cajuste/Zambo Anguissa .. we need another technical / defensive box-to-box midfielder to compliment Willock/Miggy. Hayden and Shelvey are simply not good enough anymore as starters. If we want to just barely survive then fair enough but if we want to be comfortable / challenge for the upper reaches of the table (mid to upper half challenging top 10) we need more quality in midfield. Sell Sean, loan out Matty & sell Hendrick. Bring in Barkley/Ox/Loftus Cheek on loan & bring in a technical but strong & powerful defensive mid. <ok>

Don't see it happening tho.. we'll probably just end up with Choudbury. <urgh>
<ashley>

<grin>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:14 pm

I don't think we'll regret the Longstaffs leaving in the sense that they'll go elsewhere and break out. But I think the real regret will be that the club's done so poorly to continue their development the past couple years, and has ruined their potential for what they could have become for us.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:31 pm

I honestly wouldnt blame the club for the Longstaffs development, Sean just turned to absolute garbage after his initial spell and he always seems to have a punishing mistake in him. Matty had a breakthrough and decided he deserved the big bucks and allegedly refused to go out on loan. I've always said I think they are very poorly advised or have attitude issues behind the scenes.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:14 pm
I don't think we'll regret the Longstaffs leaving in the sense that they'll go elsewhere and break out. But I think the real regret will be that the club's done so poorly to continue their development the past couple years, and has ruined their potential for what they could have become for us.
Yesterday I was thinking of what could have been.... With Benitez and all.
Today I'm not, thank god.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:46 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:31 pm
I honestly wouldnt blame the club for the Longstaffs development, Sean just turned to absolute garbage after his initial spell and he always seems to have a punishing mistake in him. Matty had a breakthrough and decided he deserved the big bucks and allegedly refused to go out on loan. I've always said I think they are very poorly advised or have attitude issues behind the scenes.
I probably shouldn't have written it the way I did, which was to say it would be all the club's fault. Really I just meant for what's probably a multitude of reasons (relating to club, coaches, personal, agents, etc.), I don't think they'll reach the potential they each initially showed.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:07 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:46 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:31 pm
I probably shouldn't have written it the way I did, which was to say it would be all the club's fault. Really I just meant for what's probably a multitude of reasons (relating to club, coaches, personal, agents, etc.), I don't think they'll reach the potential they each initially showed.
To be fair the club need to do a lot better themselves with developing talent, but with the Longstaffs specifically I think they have both been given good opportunities to progress and it just hasn't worked out, you could argue Matty needs more minutes but if it's true hes refused loan moves then that bla e has to fall on him.

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:46 am

Yeh

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:32 am

I'm sure Sean could do well with proper coaching, sadly you can see his career going nowhere here but a fresh start at somewhere like Everton could really help him kick on. There might be less expectation on him too, a £10m signing for Everton is nothing really.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:47 am

The reality is Sean won't play and is leaving next summer for nothing. I'd rather Mike just takes the £10m and makes a bid for Topshop

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:40 pm

I don't think either Sean or Matty are going to be good enough.

Sean looked good when he had a really specific limited role in a midfield 3 under Rafa. However he isn'tgood enough to play in a midfield 2 and he has a kanck of going missing in games. Injuries seem to have regressed him as well. If we could get £10m for him it would be a good deal.

A couple of months ago I saw Matty down at the fish quay and he's even smaller and scrawnier up close than he looks when your in the stadium or watching on TV. A light breeze would knock him over so it's no wonder he get bullied by Premier League midfielders. He needs to go out on loan, get game time under his belt and bulk up a bit if he's to stand a chance.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:53 pm

TJR wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:40 pm

Sean looked good when he had a really specific limited role in a midfield 3 under Rafa. However he isn'tgood enough to play in a midfield 2 and he has a kanck of going missing in games. Injuries seem to have regressed him as well. If we could get £10m for him it would be a good deal.
I remember away at Wolves a couple of seasons back (season before last I think), Longstaff absolutely ran the show and was the standout midfielder on the pitch which is impressive seen as Neves and Moutinho were playing for Wolves. Only a one off of course, but still you could see raw talent.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:55 pm

TJR wrote:

I think some 'system players' can be quite good in the PL, but only in the right team with the right coach. When the coach leaves they plummet to Championship. Some of Burnley's players are like this, Palace too. Murray when he was at Brighton.
But that requires a thoughtful club and coach
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:26 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:53 pm
TJR wrote:

I remember away at Wolves a couple of seasons back (season before last I think), Longstaff absolutely ran the show and was the standout midfielder on the pitch which is impressive seen as Neves and Moutinho were playing for Wolves. Only a one off of course, but still you could see raw talent.
This. He built up a impressive partnership with Hayden and looked to be a real talent in the making.. links to Man United and what not. Sadly since his injuries he's never been quite the same.. at times he looks sluggish, 1 or two yards off the pace and goes missing in games.. like he's on cruise control just going through the motions I mean if it's in the Champs then fair enough as you have more space and time on the ball but in a high intense & physical league like the Prem you can't be doing that.. his inconsistency and his injuries/fitness have been his downfall but Rafa trusted him & liked him.. so at Everton he'll have a fresh start, low expectation & a manager who knows how to use him & get the best out of him.. He's only 23 so the potential is there.. could turn out to be a very good box-to-box midfielder with a eye for a goal under the right development and guidance. Sadly.. I don't see it being here. <urgh>