33-man England Squad confirmed

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

33-man England Squad confirmed

Post by Speedo » Tue May 25, 2021 12:44 pm

Very vulnerable in goal and centre back… disappointed but not surprised that Ollie Watkins gets the nod over Callum Wilson. Glad to see Trent AA in the squad - he should be starting every game for me. But probably won’t make the 26 man squad that this will get cut down to next week.
I had the first custom w***

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: 33-man England Squad confirmed

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue May 25, 2021 12:49 pm

Vulnerable in goal? He's named four goal keepers <laugh> Two of them got relegated sure, but who else are you taking? Pope is injured. Personally feel it's pointless naming four keepers, but I'm not sure I understand the point of a 33 man provisional squad either. Bamford will probably be disappointed he didn't get a sniff, and Willock should've had a chance at the provisional line up on form, surely.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue May 25, 2021 1:02 pm

CIH wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 12:49 pm
Vulnerable in goal? He's named four goal keepers <laugh> Two of them got relegated sure, but who else are you taking? Pope is injured. Personally feel it's pointless naming four keepers, but I'm not sure I understand the point of a 33 man provisional squad either. Bamford will probably be disappointed he didn't get a sniff, and Willock should've had a chance at the provisional line up on form, surely.
Not sure about Willock. As an attacking midfielder he has a short track record versus Lingard, Mount, Foden etc. Too soon for him I think
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 25, 2021 1:03 pm

It feels like the squad gets weaker every time.

The CM midfield looks awful, the only stand out is Henderson, but when did he last kick a ball?

From that squad Id say the following are not good enough for international level, Johnstone, Ramsdale, Coady, Godfrey, Mings, White, Lingard, Phillips, Rice, Prowse, DLC, Saka, Watkins.

Not saying they all shouldn't be in, but I think it kinda shows how weak we are atm.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue May 25, 2021 1:08 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:03 pm
It feels like the squad gets weaker every time.

The CM midfield looks awful, the only stand out is Henderson, but when did he last kick a ball?

From that squad Id say the following are not good enough for international level, Johnstone, Ramsdale, Coady, Godfrey, Mings, White, Lingard, Phillips, Rice, Prowse, DLC, Saka, Watkins.

Not saying they all shouldn't be in, but I think it kinda shows how weak we are atm.
Bit harsh I think. Most international squads have 6/7 players who will probably not play, or only as backup.

I do agree that the CM is an issue. Croatia played around us at world cup, much better now?
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 25, 2021 1:14 pm

A lot of those players are very young too, Godfrey and Saka have both been brilliant this season.

I love the arbitrary split between midfield and attack, with Mount and Foden in different sections. I'd be very tempted by a midfield 3 of Henderson, Mount and Foden, we really don't need the "two holding midfielders" tactic Southgate tends to use, particularly if he's playing a defensive fullback rather than TAA.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue May 25, 2021 1:16 pm

We've got a call up <party>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 25, 2021 1:24 pm

CIH wrote:
Apparently to help assess injuries. Though presumably most countries will be in a similar position and I don't see anyone else doing it.

Probably toss of a coin between Bamford and Watkins, with Grealish in there it makes sense to go Watkins as they link up very well at Villa. Bamford works incredibly hard for the team but he does need a hell of a lot of chances created for him (which Leeds do) as he misses a lot, probably wouldn't get that with England who are pretty conservative (and incredibly dull to watch) under Southgate.

No Maddison, he hasn't done himself any favours this season.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 25, 2021 2:00 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:24 pm
CIH wrote:
Apparently to help assess injuries. Though presumably most countries will be in a similar position and I don't see anyone else doing it.

Probably toss of a coin between Bamford and Watkins, with Grealish in there it makes sense to go Watkins as they link up very well at Villa. Bamford works incredibly hard for the team but he does need a hell of a lot of chances created for him (which Leeds do) as he misses a lot, probably wouldn't get that with England who are pretty conservative (and incredibly dull to watch) under Southgate.

The Italians announced a 33 man squad
The Swiss a 29 man squad
Turkey a 30
Wales a 28
The Dutch announced a 34 man squad

so other countries have done it.
I'll Hazard a guess

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue May 25, 2021 2:32 pm

CIH wrote:
Vulnerable as in they're all s****, rather than vulnerable because we don't have enough of them... Desperately lacking international standard keepers in this country, Dean Henderson is the only one close for me. (Pickford is an appalling Rob Green-level liability)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 25, 2021 2:44 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 2:00 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:

The Swiss a 29 man squad
Turkey a 30
Wales a 28

And they don't have 3 of their big teams yet to play in European finals this week. Sensible from Southgate for me, injuries could happen regardless in training and pre tournament friendlies, but with a big chunk of that list still with competitive games to play this season even more so.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 25, 2021 3:42 pm

If I had to say who'd be cut

1. Johnstone or Ramsdale
2. depending on fitness of Maguire and probably still at one maybe two will be dropped from White, Cody, Godfrey,
3. One of the right backs, TAA, James, Walker or Trippier
4. Would say at least one Rashford, Greenwood or Grealish drops out
5. Can't see Saka making it
Other two definitely depends on fitness will Henderson be fit enough? Phillips?

I've seen people saying James Ward Prowse I actually think he's been one of the most under rated midfielders in England the last few seasons and should 100% go.

But sure look I'm Irish I don't really care who England bring as long as you don't win it <laugh>
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 25, 2021 4:53 pm

It is interesting that in one generation of players England went from having too many CMs to pick between, to basically having almost none. Obviously there are a host of good attacking wingers and CAMs though, but right now in the PL almost all of the best CM and CDMs are from the continent or South America. Definitely why I agree with the post above that JWP deserves a spot in the final squad.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue May 25, 2021 7:14 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 2:00 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:

The Swiss a 29 man squad
Turkey a 30
Wales a 28

I hasn’t seen that so I can stand by my original comments <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue May 25, 2021 8:23 pm

I'd have picked Woodman over Ramsdale. Bamford another that's unlucky to miss out.

I'd cut Ramsdale, TAA, White, Godfrey, Henderson, Lingard and Watkins.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 25, 2021 9:14 pm

Seems a bit harsh on Lingard who had some of the best form in the league the second half of the season. And Godfrey might be the lone bright spot coming out of Everton's disappointing season (whether he's actually good enough to make the national team is maybe another matter).

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue May 25, 2021 10:26 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:14 pm
Seems a bit harsh on Lingard who had some of the best form in the league the second half of the season. And Godfrey might be the lone bright spot coming out of Everton's disappointing season (whether he's actually good enough to make the national team is maybe another matter).
4 CB's + Walker is enough and I think Coady and Mings both go.

Harsh on Lingard but I'm not sure who else is dropped. Saka maybe.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:37 pm

I suppose bringing all 4 right backs was an option to the which one do I leave out conundrum
I'll Hazard a guess

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:55 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:37 pm
I suppose bringing all 4 right backs was an option to the which one do I leave out conundrum
Reece James & Kyle Walker can play in different positions. James is a excellent all-rounder who can comfortably play RB/RWB & DM/CM.. He's played as a CB in a back three too similar to Walker who can slot in a back three or back four as a RB.. I think Pep's played him as a defensive mid a few times too. Kieran Tripper & Trent are the only ones you could say are just there to play in the RB role but with Trent's passing ability, technique & vision he could easily play in the middle if needed.. especially as a deep-lying playmaker. <ok>

I don't know why Henderson & Maguire are going when there not fully fit.. should have kept Ward-Prowse in the squad simply due to his dead ball quality which is one of the best if not best in the Prem. Free-kicks, corners, pens, etc. A proper goal threat & weapon we could have used. Would have maybe kept either Ben Godfrey, Watkins or Jesse Lingard if we're talking about form and not reputation / favouritism.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:07 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:55 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:37 pm
Reece James & Kyle Walker can play in different positions. James is a excellent all-rounder who can comfortably play RB/RWB & DM/CM.. He's played as a CB in a back three too similar to Walker who can slot in a back three or back four as a RB.. I think Pep's played him as a defensive mid a few times too. Kieran Tripper & Trent are the only ones you could say are just there to play in the RB role but with Trent's passing ability, technique & vision he could easily play in the middle if needed.. especially as a deep-lying playmaker. <ok>

I don't know why Henderson & Maguire are going when there not fully fit.. should have kept Ward-Prowse in the squad simply due to his dead ball quality which is one of the best if not best in the Prem. Free-kicks, corners, pens, etc. A proper goal threat & weapon we could have used. Would have maybe kept either Ben Godfrey, Watkins or Jesse Lingard if we're talking about form and not reputation / favouritism.
Oh of course they're good cover.
Would definitely have kept JWP there for set pieces given majority of England's goals in 2018 came for set plays
I'll Hazard a guess