Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: 33-man England Squad confirmed

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:47 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:55 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:37 pm
I suppose bringing all 4 right backs was an option to the which one do I leave out conundrum
Reece James & Kyle Walker can play in different positions. James is a excellent all-rounder who can comfortably play RB/RWB & DM/CM.. He's played as a CB in a back three too similar to Walker who can slot in a back three or back four as a RB.. I think Pep's played him as a defensive mid a few times too. Kieran Tripper & Trent are the only ones you could say are just there to play in the RB role but with Trent's passing ability, technique & vision he could easily play in the middle if needed.. especially as a deep-lying playmaker. <ok>

I don't know why Henderson & Maguire are going when there not fully fit.. should have kept Ward-Prowse in the squad simply due to his dead ball quality which is one of the best if not best in the Prem. Free-kicks, corners, pens, etc. A proper goal threat & weapon we could have used. Would have maybe kept either Ben Godfrey, Watkins or Jesse Lingard if we're talking about form and not reputation / favouritism.
I completely agree that in a typical football squad it's great to have players that can cover other positions, but in a national side with as much depth as this, I'd never actually want to see a player used out of their typical position, as they'll inevitably be worse at it than one of the other options. Obviously there are circumstances when you've used up your subs someone may need to though. Which isn't to say I actually object to either of those players going - just don't think versatility is as valuable for England.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:19 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:07 pm
Sanchino wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:55 pm

Reece James & Kyle Walker can play in different positions. James is a excellent all-rounder who can comfortably play RB/RWB & DM/CM.. He's played as a CB in a back three too similar to Walker who can slot in a back three or back four as a RB.. I think Pep's played him as a defensive mid a few times too. Kieran Tripper & Trent are the only ones you could say are just there to play in the RB role but with Trent's passing ability, technique & vision he could easily play in the middle if needed.. especially as a deep-lying playmaker. <ok>

I don't know why Henderson & Maguire are going when there not fully fit.. should have kept Ward-Prowse in the squad simply due to his dead ball quality which is one of the best if not best in the Prem. Free-kicks, corners, pens, etc. A proper goal threat & weapon we could have used. Would have maybe kept either Ben Godfrey, Watkins or Jesse Lingard if we're talking about form and not reputation / favouritism.
Oh of course they're good cover.
Would definitely have kept JWP there for set pieces given majority of England's goals in 2018 came for set plays
also the fact that we're only taking 5 central mids. Southgate doesnt set up with a midfield anyway so it probably wont matter that much in the end

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:52 pm

I’d have taken Watkins as him and Grealish have a very good understanding which would be useful if you needed a goal.

Lingard doesn’t really bother me, he tailed off quite dramatically after his purple patch and does 3 months good form in about 5 years mean you should be in the squad? On that basis Willock should be in there.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:20 am

Ben White called up to replace TAA.

Didn't even realise England played last night <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:45 am

You didnt miss much. Also James Ward-Prowse robbed.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:08 am

Beatski wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:45 am
You didnt miss much. Also James Ward-Prowse robbed.
Aye, thought he pretty much set up all England's chances last night.

I suppose the fitness of Maguire played some part in the decision.
I'll Hazard a guess

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:19 am

I assumed JWP would be in the squad too. I'm surprised about White, but that must mean Maguire is properly knacked and Southgate is slowly realising that Mings is s****.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:38 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:19 am
I assumed JWP would be in the squad too. I'm surprised about White, but that must mean Maguire is properly knacked and Southgate is slowly realising that Mings is s****.
One of my best mates is a Villa ST holder and has no idea how Mings is ahead of Konsa in the England pecking order.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:28 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:38 am
biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:19 am
One of my best mates is a Villa ST holder and has no idea how Mings is ahead of Konsa in the England pecking order.
I'll admit I didn't realize Konsa was English, but I completely agree that he impressed me more this past season.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:22 pm

Nobody can see why Mings is in. Awful player. Think the 2 friendlies have probably made Southgate realise this and that's why White has been called up. Ward-Prowse has been absolutely robbed.