March thread- Villa v NUFC

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: March thread- Villa v NUFC

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:19 am

UlversToon wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:08 am
We seem to be a very nice team if nothing else!
Look forward to seeing Armstrong scoring his penalty at SJP next weekend!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:21 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:19 am
UlversToon wrote:
Written in the stars!

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:58 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:42 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:40 pm

It's a laugh or cry situation. <laugh>
Yeah, I'm done feeling sorry for myself for picking one of the worst teams almost 30 years ago <laugh>
Sometimes I wonder what life would be like now had I picked Leicester instead of Newcastle when at the fork in the road of my fandom over a decade ago. One had a Canadian playing for them, and one was nearest my family's ancestoral home - then paid close attention to the Championship season watching both a lot. Moved to Newcastle for grad school and that sealed it forever. <disgrace>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:19 pm
seaside nipper wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:21 pm
So it rolls on , like a festering turd heading straight to the Gary glitter.
Our fixtures now reading like , hmm, is the next one a must win or a must not lose.
What a cluster f!ck
Depends how you look at it. I don't mind going down again, like I did last time. The only reason why we're still in *blank* 's greasy hands is we came straight back up. TWICE!
I still believe going down and stay for at least one season is our best chance of getting rid of the hierarchy.
I'm sick of being at mediocre PL team at best.
I'm sick of supporting a team that has lost it's soul years ago.
I'm sick of seeing Sports Direct commercials all over the stadium which I know we don't make ANY money of.
There... I said it... <puke>
I'm definitely sick of all those things. Though I will say, I would worry about what kind of new ownership would buy us if wallowing in the Championship. Obviously there have been some decent owners that have bought clubs at that level, but given what expectations are from fans after potential Saudi ownership, I think they'd be underwhelmed by who would want us at a cut rate price in the Championship. And I also feel like Ashley's stubborness to get the price he wants has a lot more to do with him not selling yet than him holding onto PL revenue - which hasn't net out to much lately anyway.

Which isn't to say I want to keep him as an owner, only that I think we have a better chance of being happy with a new owner if we stay in the PL. It'd sure help if we weren't always at risk of relegation - likely scaring off potential owners who'd want a relegation clause in their sale.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:47 pm

You do wonder what the future holds for the club. A lot of fans at the moment are kind of stuck for want of a better word, we've either seen some good times under Sir Bobby in the early 2000s playing CL football and haven't an exciting team, or some fans were of course around watching the entertainers in the mid 1990s. For the past decade or more there has been very little to get enthused or cheer about, one good season under Pardew is as good as it got. What's there to hook younger fans now? I doubt they're bothered about watching us try to grind out an ugly win against the Palaces and Burnley's of the league, we've got maybe 2/3 exciting players (on their day), no hope of finishing in the top half and unlikely that we'll be featuring in the latter stages of the Cup competitions. Any fan now under the age of around 20 years old will only remember mediocrity, rubbish football, and two relegations. They'll have literally nothing to feel proud of or to keep them coming back week after week. Aren't Season Tickets on public sale now? That would have been unimaginable once upon a time.

I'll keep watching our games on TV and hoping we win, but all of my favourite memories from supporting Newcastle were the Sir Bobby days, we've lurched from one disaster to another ever since. I'd be surprised if many younger fans are that bothered.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:49 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:19 am
UlversToon wrote:
3-2 defeat in a thriller with Armstrong scoring a brace.

We seriously need to win next week though. Big 3 points is needed before the international break so we can build some momentum going in the Man U & Leeds games were I don't see us picking up a win.. maybe a point at best with our current form.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:58 pm
Oval85 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:42 pm

Yeah, I'm done feeling sorry for myself for picking one of the worst teams almost 30 years ago <laugh>
Sometimes I wonder what life would be like now had I picked Leicester instead of Newcastle when at the fork in the road of my fandom over a decade ago. One had a Canadian playing for them, and one was nearest my family's ancestoral home - then paid close attention to the Championship season watching both a lot. Moved to Newcastle for grad school and that sealed it forever. <disgrace>
Yeah, I'm in my fifties now and have been supporting since a young child (I have no memories of not being a supporter), despite pressure from family to pick Chelsea, Spurs or Man Utd instead. And I can count on one hand the number of seasons that i've had reason to be excited, optimistic or just generally happy to be an nufc supporter. All the rest has been frustration and disappointment.

Luckily as the years have passed i've become increasingly numb to any of the negative affects, having concluded that there are much more important things to worry about, but even so I question my sanity in sticking with it all this time. Really doesn't make sense.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:05 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:47 pm
You do wonder what the future holds for the club. A lot of fans at the moment are kind of stuck for want of a better word, we've either seen some good times under Sir Bobby in the early 2000s playing CL football and haven't an exciting team, or some fans were of course around watching the entertainers in the mid 1990s. For the past decade or more there has been very little to get enthused or cheer about, one good season under Pardew is as good as it got. What's there to hook younger fans now? I doubt they're bothered about watching us try to grind out an ugly win against the Palaces and Burnley's of the league, we've got maybe 2/3 exciting players (on their day), no hope of finishing in the top half and unlikely that we'll be featuring in the latter stages of the Cup competitions. Any fan now under the age of around 20 years old will only remember mediocrity, rubbish football, and two relegations. They'll have literally nothing to feel proud of or to keep them coming back week after week. Aren't Season Tickets on public sale now? That would have been unimaginable once upon a time.

I'll keep watching our games on TV and hoping we win, but all of my favourite memories from supporting Newcastle were the Sir Bobby days, we've lurched from one disaster to another ever since. I'd be surprised if many younger fans are that bothered.
I don't disagree with anything you've said, except that unfortunately the same can be said for a raft of clubs up and down the leagues, most of which don't even have glory periods like the 90s or 00s you've noted to lean on. Which maybe is damning of the sport of football in general more than anything.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:08 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:03 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:58 pm

Yeah, I'm in my fifties now and have been supporting since a young child (I have no memories of not being a supporter), despite pressure from family to pick Chelsea, Spurs or Man Utd instead. And I can count on one hand the number of seasons that i've had reason to be excited, optimistic or just generally happy to be an nufc supporter. All the rest has been frustration and disappointment.

Luckily as the years have passed i've become increasingly numb to any of the negative affects, having concluded that there are much more important things to worry about, but even so I question my sanity in sticking with it all this time. Really doesn't make sense.
I can say the same. A losing sports team isn't going to destroy my mood or make me angry, and among the many sports I follow really closely, none of the teams I like have a meaningful history of success, with most having little to no championships in their cabinet, and several 10-20 year playoff droughts among them. So if nothing else it's all par for the course with my overall sports fandom.