League Cup: Newcastle v Burnley

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: League Cup: Newcastle v Burnley

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:29 am

Well Steve Bruce said he was "delighted" with the performance...no wonder standards are so low when however badly we do the manager comes out saying how good we were.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:40 am

Have to say I actually thought we played quite well with a weakened side, and had by far the better chances. Good run outs for Manquillo and Fraser, Joelinton was neat and tidy as always and might threaten in the first team, and I thought Longstaff and Lewis had some good moments too. Definitely won the physical game too which drew some Burnley bookings when the ref remembered he had cards.

Shame about the result, but I don't think Bruce is too far wrong. s*** penalties from ASM and Almiron.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:39 pm

Does that equate to “delighted” tho? Couldn’t trouble Burnley at home, still a very experienced team - not like we played a load of kids or anything.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:43 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:47 pm
Its not the usual "why didn't we try" instead its "we tried and were utter s***"
It's been that way in the cups for a few years now. Sending out most of our best players, they just happen to still suck.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:44 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:40 am
Have to say I actually thought we played quite well with a weakened side, and had by far the better chances. Good run outs for Manquillo and Fraser, Joelinton was neat and tidy as always and might threaten in the first team, and I thought Longstaff and Lewis had some good moments too. Definitely won the physical game too which drew some Burnley bookings when the ref remembered he had cards.

Shame about the result, but I don't think Bruce is too far wrong. s*** penalties from ASM and Almiron.
That's all well and good, and I appreciate we held more of play, but when producing goals is so frequently a problem, it's hard to look past that rearing its head again.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:33 am

I’m still not sure why we made so many changes, 9 of our 10 outfield players were changed.

We’ve only played 2 games this season (and won neither), this was a chance to try and build some confidence. There’s an international break after the Southampton match so most of our key players will be getting a two week break (ASM, Wilson, Willock..) so no need to make so many, other than conceding that we don’t care about progressing to the next round.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:43 am

I can see why he made a lot of changes. We were awful in the first two games so we had to give others the chance to show what they can do.

Also he couldn't play Wilson in a game of no importance as if he gets injured that's us relegated. Wilson is the only player who will score enough goals to keep us up.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:04 am

A few changes for sure, but to change the entire outfield team bar Lascelles was too much.

And another issue is that you know that despite someone like Manquillo having a good game by all accounts he’ll be benched again v Southampton so what’s the point him even playing / doing well. Would have been a perfect game for Willock to get in some decent minutes.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:10 pm

Yeah I was a bit surprised by Willock not getting longer.

Regards Manquillo I'd like to think we eventually move to a 4 at the back even if just to let Willock play as the advanced role in a midfield three. Maybe needs Dummett to be fit though.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:48 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:04 am
A few changes for sure, but to change the entire outfield team bar Lascelles was too much.

And another issue is that you know that despite someone like Manquillo having a good game by all accounts he’ll be benched again v Southampton so what’s the point him even playing / doing well. Would have been a perfect game for Willock to get in some decent minutes.
He needed to give them a breather so he can reward the the Villa performance with a same 11 named <erm>