Are we in a worse position than in 2020/21

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: Are we in a worse position than in 2020/21

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:25 pm

We play so many players out of position, in defence especially, it's no wonder. I hope we stick to a flat back four, as I despise Bruce's insistence on forcing Hayden or Krafth or whoever in there, when it isn't suited to them. More so to Hayden, as we massively miss his influence in midfield if he's playing in defence. 4231 with Hayden and Willock in midfield, Almiron behind the forward. Which apparently is now ASM because Bruce doesn't like Gayle. He's far from great, but with Wilson out, at least play the bastard. ASM and Joelinton out wide. Or ASM and Almiron, with Longstaff central and Willock behind the 9. Or Murphy on the right with one of ASM/Joelinton on the left, Willock/Almiron in the hole.

All of a sudden we have tactical options, just by looking at the formation and playing players where they feel the most comfortable. How did that happen?

Edit, forgot to address my main issue which is the defence. I like Murphy as a RWB, he can deliver a ball. Not suited in a flat back four, Manqullo is good enough there. Ritchie needs dropping really. He's been a good, hard working player for is, but he's not a left back. His legs are gone, and his own crossing ability is now suspect. Give Lewis a sustained chance now.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:34 pm

yeh we're f***ed

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:21 am

Yes /thread

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:55 am

I did a vox pop with a few family and friends and the overall consensus was that we're a bit f***ed.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:01 am

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:25 pm
We play so many players out of position, in defence especially, it's no wonder. I hope we stick to a flat back four, as I despise Bruce's insistence on forcing Hayden or Krafth or whoever in there, when it isn't suited to them. More so to Hayden, as we massively miss his influence in midfield if he's playing in defence. 4231 with Hayden and Willock in midfield, Almiron behind the forward. Which apparently is now ASM because Bruce doesn't like Gayle. He's far from great, but with Wilson out, at least play the bastard. ASM and Joelinton out wide. Or ASM and Almiron, with Longstaff central and Willock behind the 9. Or Murphy on the right with one of ASM/Joelinton on the left, Willock/Almiron in the hole.

All of a sudden we have tactical options, just by looking at the formation and playing players where they feel the most comfortable. How did that happen?

Edit, forgot to address my main issue which is the defence. I like Murphy as a RWB, he can deliver a ball. Not suited in a flat back four, Manqullo is good enough there. Ritchie needs dropping really. He's been a good, hard working player for is, but he's not a left back. His legs are gone, and his own crossing ability is now suspect. Give Lewis a sustained chance now.
Yeah that's the thing with Hayden, he's the only one who can effectively close down, cut out passes, put in good tackles in midfield and we really miss that when he's moved back to the defence...and what happens...the opposition midfield get all the time and space they want.

Whoever is in CM, whether it's Longstaff, Shelvey (when fit), Willock or Almiron - none of them can do that. Almiron will run around like a headless chicken as he does, but isn't effective at it. Willock is very much an attacking mid so won't be hastleing / harrying the opposition midfield, not entirely sure what Longstaff does now other than run and look knackered, and the only good thing Shelvey is good for in midfield is lazy tackling and not tracking his man.

I don't rate Schar at all any more, he was poor for much of the second half of last season but for the love of God I'd put him in at CB (or Fernandez / Clark to partner Lascelles when fit) and keep Hayden in midfield.

I'd also drop Almiron. If we did go 4-4-2 / 4-3-3 then I'd give Fraser (who had a good pre-season) a chance. Almiron really doesn't offer anything other than energy and running a lot.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:35 pm

Yeah, the daft thing is that Bruce puts Hayden in the back 3 so it doesn't look "too defensive", but Hayden doesn't offer much other than the defensive bit and isn't as good as the centre halves we had. Our best spell with a back 5 was when Rafa did it with Schar, Lejeune plus anyone else as the pair of them were at least as creative if not more than most of our midfield.

Schar blows hot and cold but at least he offers something.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Colly wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:35 pm
Yeah, the daft thing is that Bruce puts Hayden in the back 3 so it doesn't look "too defensive", but Hayden doesn't offer much other than the defensive bit and isn't as good as the centre halves we had. Our best spell with a back 5 was when Rafa did it with Schar, Lejeune plus anyone else as the pair of them were at least as creative if not more than most of our midfield.

Schar blows hot and cold but at least he offers something.
Agree on all fronts. And for as poor as he was at the end of last season, Fernandez and Clark have started this one playing awful.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:29 pm

They've not been great by any stretch, especially Clark IMO.

v West Ham: Krafth - Fernandez - Clark

v Villa: Schar - Lascelles - Fernandez (2 changes)

v Southampton: Schar - Lascelles - Fernandes (0 changes)

v Man U: Lascelles - Clark - Hayden (2 changes)

v Leed: Lascelles - Clark - Hayden (0 changes)

v Watford: Clark - Fernandez - Hayden (2 changes)

v Wolves: Clark - Fernandez (Hayden started in CM then moved back when we conceded) (1 change)

So in 7 league games we've had 5 different central defensive combinations starting each match. How anyone is supposed to know who's doing what it beyond me. I'm sure if you factor in changes between Manquillo/Murphy at RWB then it'd be even more combinations.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:11 am

lol answer 2 this now is no