Takeover back on - DEAL DONE

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Takeover back on - DEAL DONE

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:30 am

Buying and investing in us is still pocket change to them, if they ever had financial difficulties they would more than likely look to assets that would raise billions, not millions. I think you only need to look at other clubs to see why we are a sensible investment, when the average cost of some other PL clubs is hitting close to 2 billion, a £300m purchase with the financing to potentially turn us into a 1-2 billion asset is a no brainer. All their balancing of the books will come from the trading shares in multi billion pound companies.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:37 am

Didn’t take long ….

” PL clubs fury at Newcastle take over “
🤣🤣
Press reports in the Guardian.
Clydeside & Tyneside

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:38 am

Lol

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:23 am

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... astle-deal

Here's the full article. The other 19 teams don't want it to happen.

I totally get their concern, but as dangerous as I think this takeover is, it's also dangerous ground to start allowing other clubs to have a say in who does/doesn't own another club. If the meeting is based on "how dare you approve this takeover without telling us!" then I don't think they have a leg to stand on.
Kindly deeds done for free!

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:39 am

Typical small club mentality!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:56 am

Their only concern is more competition / loss of someone to potentially fill a relegation spot. Their absolute and only concern is money.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:48 pm

The other clubs are naturally shitting their pants and lashing out. Its pathetic really

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:44 pm

Also to add - I dont have a problem with people complaining about the Saudi ownership. Ive got to agree - my only annoyance with this is that nobody seemed to kick up such a fuss about all the other clubs owned by despicable owners. Never mind all the companies and properties in the UK also in the same position. Thats a political issue the Government need to sort out

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:28 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:44 pm
Also to add - I dont have a problem with people complaining about the Saudi ownership. Ive got to agree - my only annoyance with this is that nobody seemed to kick up such a fuss about all the other clubs owned by despicable owners. Never mind all the companies and properties in the UK also in the same position. Thats a political issue the Government need to sort out
Loads of people kicked up a fuss, as they have with F1, you're only noticing it more because it's the club you support. Plus the Saudis are bottom of the barrel in terms of Middle Eastern owners.

100% agree it needs sorting but the ruling party in this country is almost exclusively funded by oligarchs 😬😅

I'd also agree with yours and BBs post that the other clubs arent acting put of principle but because they dont want more competition.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:15 pm

Yeah i know some city fans who live near the stadium. It was a big fuss then
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:52 pm

It's been mentioned that the big clubs were Surprised by the takeover

It can't be a coincidence that the Glazers dumped a whole load of shares days before the announcement.
<scratch> <laugh>

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:06 pm

Newcastle United takeover: What is PIF, the main owner of the club? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58842557

Good to see this piece and maybe goes some way to counterbalance the hysterical hypocrisy about the takeover
Clydeside & Tyneside

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:35 pm

Generally I find this article ok but then a section made me think of something that annoys me. A false equivalance many nufc fans have been making
True Faith wrote:It is possible to be happy with the conclusion of the Ashley era, while also appreciating the cost it has come at. I’m going to own my hypocrisy – insofar as users of Uber, Disney, Starbuck’s, CitiBank, and many more PIF investments do – and I’m going to live with that. It’s a uniquely Western privilege to be able to make that choice –a privilege that many citizens of Saudi Arabia simply do not have.

I do think in many contexts whataboutery is a flimsy line of argument. But nevertheless, I also think it is important to point out that the Newcastle United takeover is not a precedent. Football was f***ed long before we ever got these owners.
https://true-faith.co.uk/takeover-you-c ... your-head/

Its really not the same to takeover 80% of something, vs buy a small % of publically available shares. Like they own <4% of Uber and <1% of Disney.
So watching Black Widow is not an endorsement of PIF in the same way wearing black and white is.
The point is they don't control Disney, they can't (realistically) force Disney to remove beer from the next Deadpool or whatever.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:37 pm

Also the Singaporeans own more of Disney in their sovereign fund than the Saudis do

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:51 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:35 pm
Generally I find this article ok but then a section made me think of something that annoys me. A false equivalance many nufc fans have been making
True Faith wrote:It is possible to be happy with the conclusion of the Ashley era, while also appreciating the cost it has come at. I’m going to own my hypocrisy – insofar as users of Uber, Disney, Starbuck’s, CitiBank, and many more PIF investments do – and I’m going to live with that. It’s a uniquely Western privilege to be able to make that choice –a privilege that many citizens of Saudi Arabia simply do not have.

I do think in many contexts whataboutery is a flimsy line of argument. But nevertheless, I also think it is important to point out that the Newcastle United takeover is not a precedent. Football was f***ed long before we ever got these owners.

Its really not the same to takeover 80% of something, vs buy a small % of publically available shares. Like they own <4% of Uber and <1% of Disney.
So watching Black Widow is not an endorsement of PIF in the same way wearing black and white is.
The point is they don't control Disney, they can't (realistically) force Disney to remove beer from the next Deadpool or whatever.
Precisely, the whole "but Uber, but Disney, etc." thing is getting parroted by plenty of people out there.

Even when you ignore debates around whataboutism, the NUFC takeover is a completely different situation. Not only are the PIF the clear majority stakeholders, they're also deliberately fostering an affiliation between Newcastle United and Saudi Arabia. Some fans are happy to play up to this as well; we've already seen Saudi news outlets publishing photos of fans dressed like sheikhs.
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:22 pm

DavideDuck wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:51 pm
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:35 pm

Precisely, the whole "but Uber, but Disney, etc." thing is getting parroted by plenty of people out there.

Even when you ignore debates around whataboutism, the NUFC takeover is a completely different situation. Not only are the PIF the clear majority stakeholders, they're also deliberately fostering an affiliation between Newcastle United and Saudi Arabia. Some fans are happy to play up to this as well; we've already seen Saudi news outlets publishing photos of fans dressed like sheikhs.
It's true though and it's not "whataboutism", people cannot be selective about what Saudi investments outrage them, you can have the stance of "I've mentioned the takeover first so you can't bring up other investments". It's a ridiculous stance, if you are going to make a stand against their investments then fair enough but if you are then do it collectively and dont pick and choose to serve the argument. It's blatant hypocrisy and literally hiding behind percentages and deciding which is acceptable for you and what isn't. Fact is if people are so against Saudi investments then it shouldn't matter if it's 1% or 80%.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:26 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:22 pm

It's true though and it's not "whataboutism", people cannot be selective about what Saudi investments outrage them, you can have the stance of "I've mentioned the takeover first so you can't bring up other investments". It's a ridiculous stance, if you are going to make a stand against their investments then fair enough but if you are then do it collectively and dont pick and choose to serve the argument. It's blatant hypocrisy and literally hiding behind percentages and deciding which is acceptable for you and what isn't. Fact is if people are so against Saudi investments then it shouldn't matter if it's 1% or 80%.
But like Disney don't have a choice of who invests in them, there's hundreds of imputations who have shares alone. That's the point of the stock market.

So you what find out (pay?) who owns small stakes in every plc you encounter?
And which countries do you need to avoid?
UAE, Saudi, China?
Its a large and constantly moving list.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:26 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:22 pm

But like Disney don't have a choice of who invests in them, there's hundreds of imputations who have shares alone. That's the point of the stock market.

UAE, Saudi, China?
Ok so if it's all about choice then where is all the criticism of Ashley and the PL who have allowed it. Wheres the criticism of the stock markets and how anyone with money can make big investments. It's all criticism of the fans who guess what, don't have a choice!

I honestly don't care if people oppose it or not, I'm just fed up of the selective and judgemental attitudes. It actually turns more people away from the issue than turns them to it. For me it's reached a point where it feels like people are more interested in patting themselves on the back for their moral stance rather than trying to do something positive.

Through all to of his I've not seen one person that's said "Hey I didn't know KSA had involvement in company X,Y,Z, So I'm now going to make a conscious effort to avoid it (other than NUFC)". It's all been about "well it's different because of this that and the other". End of the day a lot of these people just want the convenience of not having to give up other things in their life, which is fine. Just dont judge others over similar actions.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:06 pm

When the takeover was announced I (like lots of others) got drawn into various debates/arguments on the morality etc. of this. I can honestly recommend that you'll feel far better saying your piece (whichever side of the argument you sit) and leaving it at that, otherwise you just keep repeating the same things and going in circles. Personally, it's not how I want to spend my time as it'll be going on for as long as PIF own us and people won't change their views either way (which is fair enough) <ok>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:12 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:59 pm
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:26 pm

UAE, Saudi, China?
Ok so if it's all about choice then where is all the criticism of Ashley and the PL who have allowed it. Wheres the criticism of the stock markets and how anyone with money can make big investments. It's all criticism of the fans who guess what, don't have a choice!

I honestly don't care if people oppose it or not, I'm just fed up of the selective and judgemental attitudes. It actually turns more people away from the issue than turns them to it. For me it's reached a point where it feels like people are more interested in patting themselves on the back for their moral stance rather than trying to do something positive.

Through all to of his I've not seen one person that's said "Hey I didn't know KSA had involvement in company X,Y,Z, So I'm now going to make a conscious effort to avoid it (other than NUFC)". It's all been about "well it's different because of this that and the other". End of the day a lot of these people just want the convenience of not having to give up other things in their life, which is fine. Just dont judge others over similar actions.
I see what you are saying. There's the whole capitalist system we have in the UK taking in dirty money, of which football is very guilty. Its rarely criticized but Newcastle fans are being pilloried for not doing it strongly enough in this case. I get that.

But I do think being 80% owned by the Saudi's as a pet project is materially different than the name listed above. I think its a selective argument being used to justify ignoring Saudi's abuses.