New Manager: Eddie Howe Confirmed

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: New Manager

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:46 pm

Kinda feels like the narrative is that there is a split in the dressing room, a small portion happy with Bruce and a large portion unhappy with him. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if that's very close to the truth. Either way it's becoming clear he's helping to keep a toxic atmosphere alive.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:33 am

🤣
Now I wake to see Wayne Rooney is joining a short list , Eddie Howe is in talks with the consortium and Uni Emery is strongly fancied albeit with a 7m euro release clause.
🤣

Edit to add ….I nearly put my car off the road yesterday when I heard Danny Murphy say best option would be Roy Hodgson.
Clydeside & Tyneside

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:56 am

Something needs to change quickly or we are as good as down.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:59 am

seaside nipper wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:33 am
🤣
Now I wake to see Wayne Rooney is joining a short list , Eddie Howe is in talks with the consortium and Uni Emery is strongly fancied albeit with a 7m euro release clause.
🤣

Edit to add ….I nearly put my car off the road yesterday when I heard Danny Murphy say best option would be Roy Hodgson.
Kindly deeds done for free!

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:44 am

Have we sacked him yet?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:49 am

Sounds like the Eddie Howe fan boys might be getting their wish
I'll Hazard a guess

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:47 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:49 am
Sounds like the Eddie Howe fan boys might be getting their wish
Right now I would take anyone but cabbage tbh.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:01 pm

Ritchie
Fraser
Wilson
Jones
Howe

Wonder if we can play in black and red?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:16 pm

If Howe does come in I'd imagine it would be a very short term deal, maybe until January just to buy us some more time.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:51 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:16 pm
If Howe does come in I'd imagine it would be a very short term deal, maybe until January just to buy us some more time.
Nah no way it'd be that short, end of the season minimum. Why would he sign a deal for 3 months? I know there's money, but not worth the hassle of him uprooting himself and trying to sort the mess out.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:13 pm

Yeah would definitely be more than a couple months. End of the season with an extention agreement would make sense. I'd imagine he would want guarantees of at least two years though. Not dissimilar to when Everton brought in big Sam, when they clearly wanted Silva. He would've got a tidy little handshake being sacked early, as expected.

I was one who was big for Howe, admittedly I meant he'd be the ideal choice under Ashley. He wouldn't be my first choice now but a definite improvement on Bruce in the short term. We just need someone to right the ship for now, then work on building a new one.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:59 pm

Allardyce would be perfect for this season.

I'm not even joking.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:01 pm

Eddie who …. Track record less than inspiring, just don’t see it.
If we are going for younger just get Gerard in. Fair enough he’s won a two horse race but frankly he IMO would be far more inspiring and insightful into the Premier league than Howe. He knows the league inside out and players would respond positively to him from what I’ve seen of his style, past achievements and man management to date at Rangers. Plus they are massive with massive expectations and he has the gravitas to handle big clubs.
Eddie Howe does not and never has had big club
experience. To add he bottled the Celtic job, too big , too North.

He’s a south coast home boy waiting, skulking whatever for a job on his doorstep. IMO not really what we need just now.

It has to be essentially an English manager or someone who has Premier league experience,
who understands the English premier league, the opposition and the mentality.

For the immediate dig that we need give me Gerard over Howe any day
Clydeside & Tyneside

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:20 pm

Didn't Howe also leave Burnley due to it being too far north?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:21 pm

Yeah although it was Burnley…
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:25 pm

My issue with Howe is more that I don't see him as a manager whose strength is getting a team to be defensively solid and that is the biggest concern at the moment. Bournemouth under him, as I recall, mostly used to win games by outscoring the opposition. I just don't think he fits what is needed at this time.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:26 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:21 pm
Yeah although it was Burnley…
Fair enough he probably left because it's a s**thole!

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:34 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:01 pm
If we are going for younger just get Gerard in. Fair enough he’s won a two horse race but frankly he IMO would be far more inspiring and insightful into the Premier league than Howe. He knows the league inside out and players would respond positively to him from what I’ve seen of his style, past achievements and man management to date at Rangers. Plus they are massive with massive expectations and he has the gravitas to handle big clubs.

He’s a south coast home boy waiting, skulking whatever for a job on his doorstep. IMO not really what we need just now.

It has to be essentially an English manager or someone who has Premier league experience,

There's a lot of judgement captured in this post - whether about who is and isn't a "big club", who can and can't manage a "big club", "too north", too "south coast", plus all of this English experience. Managers like Bruce keep getting jobs because they claim they know the area, know the fans, have PL experience. Now I'm not necessarily arguing for Howe or against Gerrard, but just give me a good footballing mind who is smart enough to make the necessary changes to get the most out of our mediocre squad, and can adapt to the inevitable incoming change that'll continue facing the club in the months to come. I don't care what coasts he prefers, and few if any managers (especially ones available) have comparable experience to taking over a club facing relegation with the richest owners in the world and headlines of every type being written on the daily.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:34 pm
seaside nipper wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:01 pm

There's a lot of judgement captured in this post - whether about who is and isn't a "big club", who can and can't manage a "big club", "too north", too "south coast", plus all of this English experience. Managers like Bruce keep getting jobs because they claim they know the area, know the fans, have PL experience. Now I'm not necessarily arguing for Howe or against Gerrard, but just give me a good footballing mind who is smart enough to make the necessary changes to get the most out of our mediocre squad, and can adapt to the inevitable incoming change that'll continue facing the club in the months to come. I don't care what coasts he prefers, and few if any managers (especially ones available) have comparable experience to taking over a club facing relegation with the richest owners in the world and headlines of every type being written on the daily.
This, and Howe has shown what he can do with mediocre squads. Didnt he have basically the same team and promoted twice with Bournemouth?!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:55 pm

I don't mind Howe as a short term appointment. He can get things pointing in the right direction again for a season or two, my aim for this season is solely to stay up and next season to be comfortably mid-table. I don't think that's unrealistic. Howe did a good job at Bournemouth but things just ran their course - we've all been in jobs where if you stay a bit too long then that happens. Lets be honest, mid-season I don't think there will be many managers throwing themselves at the job, or even available so it's a shallow pool that we're fishing in. I don't see why someone like Gerard would leave Rangers before the end of the season either.