New Manager: Eddie Howe Confirmed

Tsi
10 Champs Gold
10 Champs Gold

Re: New Manager: Eddie Howe Confirmed

Post by Tsi » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:08 pm

Henrique, Wilcox, Campos, Emenalo, Rangnick have been linked other than Edwards if we don't get/go for him then I'd be more than happy if any of those mentioned came instead.

seaside nipper
Miggy's Smiles

Post by seaside nipper » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:01 pm

Spoke very well as he does , and is convincing.
I like his single mindedness and apparent clear commitment.
Liked how he batted away the political questions and the predictably routine attempts by certain media written and broadcast to lure him into a sports washing debate.
Pose that to government officials not the head coach of a football club,
Never heard these questions posed at Man city or Man Utd following commercial dealings with Middle East Emirate states.
Clydeside & Tyneside

Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:20 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:01 pm
Liked how he batted away the political questions and the predictably routine attempts by certain media written and broadcast to lure him into a sports washing debate.
Never heard these questions posed at Man city or Man Utd following commercial dealings with Middle East Emirate states.

It is pretty odd that they bang on about "Sportswashing" but at the same time they are very narrow in their scope of who to interrogate. What change are they looking to make by only singling out the NUFC manager and the fans?. Surely if their concerns were serious they would have lobbied the government and the Premier League. I really wish these journos would get called out on it, its borderline exploitation of victims now as half of these concerned citizens are going this for personal gain. Hey come read about how awful this Saudi takeover is but first please subscribe to our shitrag for £9.99 a month. They can call the Saudis out as murderers all they like but end of they day they are still the vultures picking at the corpses

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:39 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:01 pm
Agree completely that Howe isn't the one to have to answer questions about that. But there really were a lot of articles written and similar questions asked when Man City was bought. A lot of that was then dug up again when the 10 year anniversary of their purchase came around recently and they revisited the coverage from 10 years earlier.

I completely understand why we as fans don't want to be, and frankly shouldn't be dragged (except those wearing rags on their head and making a big show of treating the new owners as conquering heroes) by the media, but the attention isn't as unique as some think it is, because our fans understandably weren't paying as much attention when City was receiving it. Plus, if I'm being frank, the KSA has been at the heart of more negative headlines regarding executions, assassinations, questionable arms deals, genocide, etc. than any of the countries associated with other football clubs, and the state of finances and foreign government involvement in football, and public awareness has continued to evolve over the past decade - so it shouldn't come as a surprise that it gets the attention. It's just going to be the cost to us of having such rich backing.

Though as with anything else, the attention and questions will subside as new stories emerge and their ownership gets normalized.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:50 pm

It’s already been significantly quieter on that the last couple of weeks, media soon get bored and move on.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

seaside nipper
Miggy's Smiles

Post by seaside nipper » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:26 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:50 pm
It’s already been significantly quieter on that the last couple of weeks, media soon get bored and move on.
Slightly different tact on the whole sport washing come jealousy thing ……
According to ‘sources’ premier league teams have now formed a coalition of ABN it’s now anyone but Newcastle when it comes to selling players.
Aye very good
Pathetic
<laugh>
Clydeside & Tyneside

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:06 am

Yeah that was said when the takeover announced. Clubs are so greedy I can't see it happening, if we turn up cash of course most will say yes. Plus agents/players have as much if not more power than the clubs, it's a load of bollocks based on what some random 'industry expert' is spouting. Probably the same people saying the takeover was dead in the water (Simon Jordan...) and then it happened 24 hours later.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:22 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:06 am
Yeah that was said when the takeover announced. Clubs are so greedy I can't see it happening, if we turn up cash of course most will say yes. Plus agents/players have as much if not more power than the clubs, it's a load of bollocks based on what some random 'industry expert' is spouting. Probably the same people saying the takeover was dead in the water (Simon Jordan...) and then it happened 24 hours later.
For that to work every club in the league would have to stick to it, not to mention there is a whole global market. It's like getting banned from your local shop when there is a big supermarket a little further down the road that going to be cheaper and with more options.

gola
Shelvey's Precious

Post by gola » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:46 am

yeh

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:03 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:22 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:06 am
For that to work every club in the league would have to stick to it, not to mention there is a whole global market. It's like getting banned from your local shop when there is a big supermarket a little further down the road that going to be cheaper and with more options.
Plus, if Man City, Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea will do business with one another - as they all have in the past number of years, you can be sure they won't hold out against us. Levy is like the one stubborn bastard who refuses to make deals.

Donkey Toon
Resident Financial Expert
Resident Financial Expert

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Even if the other clubs stuck to that pledge it could come back to bite them. NUFC could focus on the foreign market for immediate transfers and then in the EPL make lucrative contract offers to players in the final years of their contracts potentially causing them to turn down other offers so that they can sign on a free when out of contract. I would think a club would only have to get burned that way once to decide that they are cutting their nose off to spite their face.

Oval85
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Oval85 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm so glad we got Howe instead of any of the other options. I had him as my first option, because first of all, I believe in total change of formation. Going from a defensive minded coach to a offensive minded is exciting when you think of a few players we have.
Secondly, I also believe in continuity, which is maybe the most important thing in football. Josh King had a interview a few years back after he left Bournemouth, and he said that the was the best coach he's had(Ferguson let alot of coaches take care of training his last years). Probably also the only coach who managed to keep him fit a whole season.
Funny that Gerrard went to Villa so we can actually compare the two.

seaside nipper
Miggy's Smiles

Post by seaside nipper » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:29 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:37 pm
I'm so glad we got Howe instead of any of the other options. I had him as my first option, because first of all, I believe in total change of formation. Going from a defensive minded coach to a offensive minded is exciting when you think of a few players we have.
Secondly, I also believe in continuity, which is maybe the most important thing in football. Josh King had a interview a few years back after he left Bournemouth, and he said that the was the best coach he's had(Ferguson let alot of coaches take care of training his last years). Probably also the only coach who managed to keep him fit a whole season.
Funny that Gerrard went to Villa so we can actually compare the two.
Yup, agree with this
I actually was keen on Gerard to us but for a few reasons he baulked at it as too risky. Think he will do ok, based mostly on his playing experience and an evolving managerial skill set.
More than happy with EH now that things have settled and it’s gonna be like the new manager derby when we face off with them.
Wonder if Lampard will join Norwich….start of the younger manager trend.
It’s refreshing for the EPL overall that Bruce , Allardyce et al are getting flushed out.
Clydeside & Tyneside

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:11 pm

Plus, at this phase of the takeover, getting the right Director of Football will likely have the greatest long term impact.

Timshorts

Post by Timshorts » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:34 am

Donkey Toon wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:17 pm
Even if the other clubs stuck to that pledge it could come back to bite them. NUFC could focus on the foreign market for immediate transfers and then in the EPL make lucrative contract offers to players in the final years of their contracts potentially causing them to turn down other offers so that they can sign on a free when out of contract. I would think a club would only have to get burned that way once to decide that they are cutting their nose off to spite their face.
Whilst there are alternate options for incoming players in the January transfer window and beyond, I wonder if this embargo would have more of an impact on outgoing players.

If limited to Premier league clubs then maybe not as much as you'd think, given that most players that Eddie howe would not want to keep are mainly of championship standard anyway, but if, say, Dwight gayle can't be sold to an English club as they are all refusing to do business with Newcastle then that will impact dealings, ffp, and most unfairly, the players themselves.

I've often wondered what might happen if clubs refused to buy the "wastage" that Barcelona and Real Madrid created each time that they wanted to buy more shiny new things and jettison yesterday's poster boys as they become surplus to their managers latest whims, but perhaps for different reasons we might be about to find out.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:54 am

I’m sure we could afford to jettison a few on frees.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:13 am

Yeah I can't see how that would ever become an issue, either you sell to the Championship club or a lower Premier Club goes "hang on, they're selling a player who might fit our squad for peanuts, this policy is hurting us". Same logic applies to Barcelona and Madrid, while a "big club" might not want their cast offs there's always been transfers like Bojan to Stoke. I can't see selling being an issue, even if it comes at a slightly lower fee.

Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:23 pm

If we are serious about doing business in January then I can see us definitely paying off some contracts and releasing some dead wood.

For all this talk of a blockade on transfers from other clubs I can't see it happening at all, if anything I think they would demand full payments from us rather than installments. If they did that they would impact how far we can stretch FFP space and impact our spending that way.

TJR
10 Champs Chump
10 Champs Chump

Post by TJR » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:45 pm

This policy is never going to come into place anyway. It's a load of rubbish based on lazy journalism.

Even if they were thinking of implementing this policy, as soon as we made a good offer for a player a club is wanting to sell, they'll take a look at how f***ed thier finances are due to covid (and in the case of most Premier League clubs, years of financial mismanagement before covid) and accept the offer.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:17 pm

TJR wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:45 pm
This policy is never going to come into place anyway. It's a load of rubbish based on lazy journalism.

Even if they were thinking of implementing this policy, as soon as we made a good offer for a player a club is wanting to sell, they'll take a look at how f***ed thier finances are due to covid (and in the case of most Premier League clubs, years of financial mismanagement before covid) and accept the offer.
I don't completely disagree, but I also expect any player good enough that we'd want them will also be wanted by other clubs. As mismanaged as many of the clubs are financially, they (at least English ones) keep doling it out. The worst I can see happening is if all offers being equal the club picks the other one over us. But rarely are all offers equal.