Minority or not, some of our fans are embarrassing right now

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Minority or not, some of our fans are embarrassing right now

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:30 am

So I don't want to rehash our discussion on the takeover generally. But its really cringe seeing some of of our fans completely simp the Saudi state and actively defend them and have a go at any criticism. Like having a go at Khashoggi's fiancé, or the below:

I know that Twitter amplifies a few idiots, but living outside the North East I know how stereotypes about us persist and this feeds into it.

I don't agree withy Luke Edwards (Bruce defender) but he's been spot on re takeover hinging on Bein. And like he's paid for his opinions, no need to hate him.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Minority of not, some of our fans are embarrassing right now

Post by Colly » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:05 am

The one thing I'd say is absolutely what you've said in your first line, Twitter can be an absolute cesspool and there's absolutely no way you can tell if that's posted by a Newcastle fan or indeed even someone in the UK. But yep, it looks bad, and I'm still dreading arriving on Sunday.

I'm still just hoping that the big new flag isn't going to be some fawning pro Saudi thing. Fairly convinced it won't be but still scared.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:07 am

Colly wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:05 am
The one thing I'd say is absolutely what you've said in your first line, Twitter can be an absolute cesspool and there's absolutely no way you can tell if that's posted by a Newcastle fan or indeed even someone in the UK. But yep, it looks bad, and I'm still dreading arriving on Sunday.

I'm still just hoping that the big new flag isn't going to be some fawning pro Saudi thing. Fairly convinced it won't be but still scared.
From replies it is a Newcastle fan who has history of being awful. Attention seeker who wants to be a youtuber I think. Yuk

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:27 am

A massive chunk of our fans are utter f***ing d***s. I'm sure the same can be said for most clubs of course. They are doing exactly what is expected - sticking up for the Saudi regime and slating anyone that criticises it. A lot of what is described as "banter" is just awful.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:49 am

The simplistic nature of Twitter is part of the problem, it allows these and other idiots to just create a platform to be a prick, this is more prevalent now more than ever imo so most on Facebook for example (not that it doesn't have it's issues) will have an established page with all their mates on, family etc so think twice. On twitter it's so easy to become almost fully anonymous very quickly with almost no link to you so anyone can say whatever they like.

That said I think a lot of the Saudi stuff is blown out of proportion, when the bid first came in I blocked about 50 or so with flags and MBS profile pictures and I can say as a daily user on twitter I only see them pop up now and again. It's not as rife as it seems, also on the night it got passed yes there were a few with tea towels, middle Eastern garb and masks, but they were well in the minority. It's the same as always you get those few idiots that the camera gravitates to. It's a media wet dream. The next day you see the pictures and that becomes the story.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:57 am

Also I know this will sound like victim blaming but Luke Edwards is a smart guy, he's a heavy Twitter user, he knows the environment, but he still pokes the bear with fans on a daily basis, he acts like a prick and trolls a lot himself so I find it a bit rich that he's somehow surprised he's received this reaction, he's a man that just cannot walk away from conflicts because he's happy to cause a stir and piss people off, so he will be more than happy to push things to this point imo.

I 100% agree those types of comments are disgraceful, but at the same time he has got what he's fished for so I don't have any sympathy in that regard.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:03 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:57 am
Also I know this will sound like victim blaming but Luke Edwards is a smart guy, he's a heavy Twitter user, he knows the environment, but he still pokes the bear with fans on a daily basis, he acts like a prick and trolls a lot himself so I find it a bit rich that he's somehow surprised he's received this reaction, he's a man that just cannot walk away from conflicts because he's happy to cause a stir and piss people off, so he will be more than happy to push things to this point imo.

I 100% agree those types of comments are disgraceful, but at the same time he has got what he's fished for so I don't have any sympathy in that regard.
I'm not saying you are victim blaming.

There are some journos who fish. Barry Glendenning is another. They can expect pushback but it shouldn't be abuse. and it goes onto the level of threats, no amount of fishing should come to that.

I feel like Luke has got so much stick, some warranted and some not, its hardened him and made him combative. It must be hard not to be when you get so much bile, I can see why you'd go, "screw them, I'm gonna get abuse so lets wind them up"

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:09 am

Speaking of journos on Twitter, I've just been approached by a Mail on Sunday one asking if he can DM me. f***ing hell, I was conflicted enough going on Sunday, never mind engaging with the f***ing Mail...

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:12 am

There is no surprise here whatsoever !!

This is a taste of the brave new world Newcastle Utd have entered…..

We are going be to have a target on our back

We are going to be the team everyone will try harder to beat

We are going to become the club that ‘ruined the league’

We are now the point reference for everything that’s wrong with the Premier league

We will be the subject of 1000% more bs than was ever written previously

We are the club that everyone will want to have an opinion about and will think they are an authority on

We are an absolute gravy train for journos/ hacks/
news-hounds and will have our every action scrutinised analysed and opined on endlessly

We’ve always had a narrative and always been a club that people wanted to comment on when we did nowt, now it’s going to be open season, season after season

Better strap in 🤣
Clydeside & Tyneside

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:34 am

I do agree with the notion that Newcastle fans are an easy target, and most other high profile clubs would be the same. The club has a large media draw and the fans are very much a part of that. You won't get journalists questioning the PM or the CEO of BAE Systems about their ties with Saudi Arabia because they are well versed in avoiding difficult lines of questioning like that. Catch some bloke with a couple of teeth outside SJP, lead him into being excited about new signings, Ashley going etc. and then hit him with questions about human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia and then you've got a story. You can do the same on Twitter.

One positive about this takeover is that Newcastle have given everyone a reason to talk about the issue and it has massively raised awareness. I hope some good can eventually come of that.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:47 am

We are ripe for exploitative vox pops because the ground in so central in the city. And not far from pubs. Most other cities don't have that

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:11 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:27 am
A massive chunk of our fans are utter f***ing d***s. I'm sure the same can be said for most clubs of course. They are doing exactly what is expected - sticking up for the Saudi regime and slating anyone that criticises it. A lot of what is described as "banter" is just awful.
100% this. Anyone who's ever been to an away game in the past umpteen years can testify how many d******* fans we have.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:03 am
Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:57 am

I'm not saying you are victim blaming.

There are some journos who fish. Barry Glendenning is another. They can expect pushback but it shouldn't be abuse. and it goes onto the level of threats, no amount of fishing should come to that.

I feel like Luke has got so much stick, some warranted and some not, its hardened him and made him combative. It must be hard not to be when you get so much bile, I can see why you'd go, "screw them, I'm gonna get abuse so lets wind them up"
We all know it shouldn't come to that but we all also know it will, that's the point, instead of just doing his job and reporting, he antagonised and gets into it with the fans constantly, the environment is what it is, it's like taking a stroll through a minefield and being shocked when you have had a leg blown off. Should the mines be there, no, but they are, so what do you expect. He's choosing his path, he's willingly dabbling with the morons so he's going to get the morons pushing back.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:16 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:11 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:27 am
100% this. Anyone who's ever been to an away game in the past umpteen years can testify how many d******* fans we have.
Or a home cup or friendly.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:47 pm

So I had a big framed display of all of my match tickets and a panoramic photo of SJP from the year I lived there. It fell off the wall and smashed last night. Apparently the ghosts in my old house are trying to send me a message too.

[Kidding about the ghosts part]

I reference that because reflecting back on the Carling Cup match against Arsenal, and friendlies against Gateshead and Leeds - it was a totally different vibe from the other 13 matches I went to that year - including even the 5-1 derby win.

Anyway, I agree with SN that we're going to have to get used to the extra, or at least different attention we're going to draw as a club. And hopefully the people really acting out right now will grow up and settle in a bit with the new reality of it all. I've made it known how I feel about the new regime, but part of why I'd always balked at the takeover is just how annoying and dramatic the experience of being a supporter of Newcastle will become - and I just didn't want to deal with that.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:51 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:12 am
There is no surprise here whatsoever !!

This is a taste of the brave new world Newcastle Utd have entered…..

We are going be to have a target on our back

We are going to be the team everyone will try harder to beat

We are going to become the club that ‘ruined the league’

We are now the point reference for everything that’s wrong with the Premier league

We will be the subject of 1000% more bs than was ever written previously

We are the club that everyone will want to have an opinion about and will think they are an authority on

We are an absolute gravy train for journos/ hacks/
news-hounds and will have our every action scrutinised analysed and opined on endlessly

We’ve always had a narrative and always been a club that people wanted to comment on when we did nowt, now it’s going to be open season, season after season

Better strap in 🤣
I'm ok with that and so is my harem.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Minority or not, some of our fans are embarrassing right now

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:07 pm

The way I see it, we have been hated for a while, clubs like Everton and Villa seemingly invented a rivalry with us. We have been called everything under the sun by pundits and the media. I became immune to most criticism a long while ago, this new wave is not unexpected and nothing more than what I've become accustomed to. As a club we were damned either way.

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:47 pm
So I had a big framed display of all of my match tickets and a panoramic photo of SJP from the year I lived there. It fell off the wall and smashed last night. Apparently the ghosts in my old house are trying to send me a message too.

I reference that because reflecting back on the Carling Cup match against Arsenal, and friendlies against Gateshead and Leeds - it was a totally different vibe from the other 13 matches I went to that year - including even the 5-1 derby win.
Was that the one where Alan Smith hit the bar from about 30 yards out? <awe>
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:07 pm

DavideDuck wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Was that the one where Alan Smith hit the bar from about 30 yards out? <awe>
Must have been? He was in the side that night. [Scrolling through the BBC commentary, looks like he did have a shot from 25 yards, and also picked up a host of fouls and a booking - sounds like Smith] I mostly just remember Walcott and Bendtner having their way with us.

Dummett’s right swinging foot
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Re: Minority or not, some of our fans are embarrassing right now

Post by Dummett’s right swinging foot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:16 pm

Luke Edwards needs to get himself in line.

He can’t be oblivious to the amount of hatred and bile he’s stirred up in the last 18months. I’m sure this isn’t the first of its kind, I’m sure he’s had far worse in his DM.

Whilst I’m not condoning any moron sending out pathetic abuse of this kind, something just doesn’t sit right from Luke Edwards on this.