Match day thread - NUFC v Spurs

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Match day thread - NUFC v Spurs

Post by Toondes » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:49 am

Spurs (h)

This afternoon sees Newcastle attempt to earn maximum points in the Premier League for the first time this season - at the eighth attempt.

Nuno Espirito Santo brings his Spurs side to a sold-out SJP for a 4.30pm kick-off broadcast live on Sky Sports.

The Portuguese manager drew two and won the other one of his three visits to the away dugout at SJP while in charge of Wolves.

Beginning Saturday in nineteenth, United avoided dropping to the bottom of the table as a result of Norwich City being held 0-0 at home by Brighton.

And without kicking a ball, The Magpies rose one place as a result of Burnley's defeat at Manchester City.

Southampton's 1-0 success over Leeds meanwhile means that victory for Newcastle today would take them out of the bottom three to seventeenth, swapping places with Marcelo Bielsa's side.

SJP is sold out, with the welcome return of Wor Flags for the first time since the home game against Liverpool in May 2019. Their new banner successfully made it from Germany to Tyneside on Saturday.

Also in attendance will be Steve Bruce, who has retained his post as Magpies Head Coach for what will be the 97th time in league and cup.

That will see him clock up 1,000 games as a manager since first taking charge of Sheffield United in 1998 (a 2-1 home win over Swindon Town in which he also played, having accepted a joint role with the Blades).

Among the crowds of people heading to SJP will be a group of 30 charity walkers, completing a 20 mile trek from the Stadium of Light.

Their efforts are aimed at helping fund vital treatment for three year-old Tynesider Rocco Troiano, who has been diagnosed with High Risk Neuroblastoma.

If you're able to help, donations can be made here and bucket collectors will be at SJP and the city.

PS: Although we're yet to see any take place this season and admission won't be refused for non-compliance, the club have again restated their COVID policy including random checks here

NUFC: Callum Wilson, Jonjo Shelvey and Jamaal Lascelles are all available, with Shelvey playing 79 minutes for the U23s on Monday night.

Joe Willock is back in full training, with only Martin Dubravka and Paul Dummett still out of action.

Miggy Almiron's participation is tbc as a result of his expected late return from the Paraguay squad. None of the other players on international duty in recent days look to have picked up any injuries.

Our betting partners Boyle Sports have a special "£10 no-lose" betting offer for this game, offering a free bet up to that value on any losing bets placed on our game.

Find that online here (note that our own new sign-up offer linked below is £30 rather than the £20 mentioned - and the no lose offer is open to existing Boyle customers, although that's not totally obvious from the linked web page).

Key Terms: 18+. IRE & UK mobile customers only. Customer must place a bet of up to £/€10 to qualify. Max Free Bet £/€10. 1st pre-live single only on any market in the Newcastle v Tottenham match, 17/10/2021. One qualifying bet per match (first bet placed). Free/void/cashed out bets won't qualify. On losing selections only. Free Bet will expire after 7 days. T&Cs apply.

They also have the following price boosts:

NUFC win 1-0 or 2-0 was 11/2 now 13/2
BTTS during first half was 3/1 now 7/2
ASM anytime scorer was 5/2 now 4/1

Latest match odds:

NUFC win 23/10
Draw 13/5
Spurs win 21/20

Boyle are offering new sign-ups via NUFC.com a Bet £10 get £30 offer via mobile devices (app download isn't required; desktop customers qualify for a £25 bet bundle offer on sign-up instead).

Find that online here

Key Terms: New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&Cs apply

THFC: Two unidentified Spurs players who have tested positive for COVID will be absent. Ryan Sessegnon and Steven Bergwijn also remain out but Ben Davies is back in training.

It remains to be seen whether Giovani Lo Celso, Cristian Romero, Davinson Sanchez or Emerson Royal will feature following what are anticipated to be late returns from international duty.

Pre-match: We're delighted to have The Dog and Parrot bar on board with us again this season, opposite Times Square on Clayton Street West/Neville Street.

Former Magpies Malcolm Macdonald and Joe Allon will be in attendance from 1.15pm today. Admission free.

Metro: Normal service

Matchday buses: The X50 and Q3 park & ride services will both operate details here

Road closures: temporary road closures around the ground will be in place from an hour before kick-off until 30 minutes after the final whistle. details here

Foodbank: the usual stall and bucket shakers will be on Strawberry Place from 2pm - please support them with donations of food or cash if you're able to.

Referee: Andre Marriner - a first sighting of the season for the West Midlands whistler, whose last Toon appearance was for our 1-1 draw at Anfield in April.

VAR: Chris Kavanagh

UK TV: Live on Sky Sports

We've partnered with NORD VPN to offer discounts on products to protect and secure your online activity.

Click on the logo above for further details and online here for fast and secure sport streaming guidance.

Overseas TV:
620/621 Now Premier League (HK)
Astro SuperSport 3 (Brunei)
beIN CONNECT MENA/Premium 1 HD
Blue to go Video Everywhere (Mexico)
Canal+ Sport Poland HD
Canal+ Sport France HD
Canal+ Sport 4 Afrique
Cosmote Sport 3 HD
Cytavision Sports 3 HD/On the Go (Cyprus)
DAZN Canada
DAZN Japan
DAZN 1 Spain
Diema Sport 2 HD
DIGI GO (Czech/Slovakia)
Digi Sport 1 Hungary HD
DStv Now
ESPN Sur
EuroSport Romania/Player
GO TV Anywhere (Malta)
Hotstar VIP (India)
IPKO TVim (Kosovo)
iQiyi (China)
Jio TV (India)
K+ SPORT 1 (Vietnam)
Migu (China)
mio stadium 102/108 Singapore
mola.tv (Indonesia)
Movistar+ (Spain)
NBC Sports Network HD (USA)
nc+GO (Poland)
Okko Sport (Russia)
Optus Sport (Australia)
PPTV Sport China
Premier Sport 1 Czech/Slovakia HD
QQ Sports Live (China)
RMC Sport 1/En Direct HD
RUSH
Setanta Kazakhstan
Setanta Sports+ Ukraine
Sirius XM (USA)
Sky Sport 1 Deutsch
Sky Sport Uno Italia
Sky HD (Mexico)
Spark Sport (New Zealand)
SportKlub 1 (Cro/Mon/Ser/Slo)
Sport 1 Israel
Sport TV2 Portugal HD
SPOTV (South Korea)
S Sport1/+ Turkey HD/online
Star Sports 3 Asia/Select HD1
SuperSport MaXimo 1/Premier League
SuperSport 2 Digitalb
Telemundo (USA)
True Premier Football HD1/2 (Thai)
TSN2 Malta
TV2 Play Norge
TV3 Sport (Lat/Lit)
TV2 Sport Premium HD
Viaplay HD (Den/Fin/Swe)
VOOSport World 1 (Belgium)
V Sport Premium HD
Xee Dansk HD
Ziggo Sport Select/Kanaal 14 HD (Ned)

UK Radio: Live on BBC 5 Live Sport

Local Radio: Live on BBC Radio Newcastle

Latest PL results/fixtures:

Sat 16.10.2021:
Watford 0-5 Liverpool
Aston Villa 2-3 Wolves
Leicester City 4-2 Manchester United
Manchester City 2-0 Burnley
Norwich City 0-0 Brighton & Hove Albion
Southampton 1-0 Leeds United
Brentford 0-1 Chelsea

Sun 17.10.2021:
Everton v West Ham (2pm) Sky
Newcastle v Spurs (4.30pm) Sky

Mon 18.10.2021:
Arsenal v Crystal Palace (8pm) Sky

Stats:

Spurs in Toon: PL era:

2020/21 drew 2-2 Joelinton, Willock
2019/20 lost 1-3 Ritchie
2018/19 lost 1-2 Joselu
2017/18 lost 0-2
2015/16 won 5-1 Wijnaldum 2, Mitrovic, Janmaat, Aarons
2014/15 lost 1-3 Colback
2013/14 lost 0-4
2012/13 won 2-1 Ba, Ben Arfa
2011/12 drew 2-2 Ba, Sh.Ameobi
2010/11 drew 1-1 Coloccini
2008/09 won 2-1 N'Zogbia, Duff
2008/09 lost 1-2 Owen (LC)
2007/08 won 3-1 Martins, Cacapa, Milner
2006/07 won 3-1 Dyer, Martins, Parker
2005/06 won 3-1 Bowyer, Sh.Ameobi, Shearer
2004/05 won 1-0 Kluivert (FAC)
2004/05 lost 0-1
2003/04 won 4-0 Shearer 2, Robert 2
2002/03 won 2-1 Speed, Shearer
2001/02 lost 0-2
2000/01 won 2-0 Speed, Cordone
1999/00 won 6-1 Shearer 2, Speed, Dabizas, Ferguson, Dyer (FAC)
1999/00 won 2-1 Glass, Dabizas
1998/99 drew 1-1 Ketsbaia
1997/98 won 1-0 Barton
1996/97 won 7-1 Shearer 2, Ferdinand 2, Lee 2, Albert
1995/96 drew 1-1 Ferdinand
1994/95 drew 3-3 D.Peacock, Gillespie, Beardsley
1993/94 lost 0-1
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Match day thread - NUFC v Spurs

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:51 pm

Going to be an interesting game today. Could lose easily or we could go out and do what we did to them in our last relegation season. Think the players will be well up for it, SJP will be back to its best. Spurs could very easily be intimidated by the occasion. No matter the result I think I'll enjoy today more than I have any weekend over the last 14 years.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:57 pm

Is it known yet which 2 spuds players are out because of covid? Hopefully Kane will be one, got a sneaky feeling he'll come back to form today.

Also Sky said that Sir John Hall and Keegan both expected to be at the game today. Should help fuel the atmosphere.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:07 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:51 pm
Going to be an interesting game today. Could lose easily or we could go out and do what we did to them in our last relegation season. Think the players will be well up for it, SJP will be back to its best. Spurs could very easily be intimidated by the occasion. No matter the result I think I'll enjoy today more than I have any weekend over the last 14 years.

This. Has a draw written all over it.. even a sneaky 2-1 win <awe> . It would actually be funny though if we did what we did to them with Rafa when we won 5-1.. 1,000th game in charge and all. Written in the stars.. knowing our luck the owners will be so happy with the result they'll keep Brucie till the next transfer window. <laugh>

But yeah looking forward to the game.. We've missed Wilson's finishing, movement and pace. He's literally our main focal point upfront so seeing him back fit and firing is just what we need even though ASM's done well upfront I want to see him on the left wing again.

My-line up for today (knowing Bruce he'll start Slowlinton & Hendrick <erk> )

Darlow
Manquillo Lascelles Fernandez Lewis
Shelvey Hayden
Murphy Willock ASM
Wilson

4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 however you want to look at it. I picked Jonjo over Longstaff as even though I'm not a big fan of Shelvey we've missed his passing range & vision. Hoping he's back rejuvenated & motivated and he puts in a performance instead of seeing the lazy, sluggish & ineffective version. I also picked Lewis over Ritchie as I think we need more energy, pace & youth in that department.. Ritchie looks like his best days are behind him now & I'll be surprised if he's anywhere near the starting XI come next season. His pace & running power (which he never really had in abundance anyway) is shot and his best attribute which is his crossing & deliveries aren't even as effective as they used to be so it's time for Lewis to step up & show his potential as he has all the physical attributes to be a good to very good Premier League full-back he just needs to improve on his defensive, footballing IQ and positional play but that will come in due time, with more experience and with the right manager who can help him develop properly but needs to start games on a regular basis to achieve that.

*Miggy won't be starting because of his international duties. Hopefully he can make a impact off the bench.

Bench : Gilpsie, Schar,, Kraft, Ritchie, Longstaff, Joelinton, Fraser, Miggy, Gayle.
Last edited by Sanchino on Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:11 pm

I think if we score first, we win.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:17 pm

Spuds has looked dead this season, hopefully it continues.
But yeah, like DK said, I have a bad feeling that Kane will find some kind of form today.
He is probably one of those who likes a good, hostile crowd.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:18 pm

Hayden to play CAM for Bruce’s 1000th game probably <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:22 pm

Same manager, same players. Can't seem to get hyped for the occasion like others are tbh

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:32 pm

Quite happy Almiron is unavailable tbh, Wilson back <diva>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:47 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:57 pm
Is it known yet which 2 spuds players are out because of covid? Hopefully Kane will be one, got a sneaky feeling he'll come back to form today.
False positives apparently.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:56 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:47 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:57 pm
Yeah, I still don't know who they are but the team is unchanged so can't have been anybody important.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:04 pm

4 backline? I'm shocked.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:07 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:32 pm
Quite happy Almiron is unavailable tbh, Wilson back <diva>
Not sure I prefer Joelinton though... <erk>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:17 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:56 pm
UlversToon wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:47 pm

Yeah, I still don't know who they are but the team is unchanged so can't have been anybody important.
One was son I believe
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Wilson!!! <diva>

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:34 pm

GET IN!

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:39 pm

Joelinton is so shockingly bad at decision making I get angry watching him play.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:43 pm

another 5-1 incoming?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:47 pm

Didn't last long. Normal service resumed.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:49 pm

Ndombele is scary.