The reality is Newcastle are in a relegation battle. They need a new head coach [The Athletic]

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

The reality is Newcastle are in a relegation battle. They need a new head coach [The Athletic]

Post by beatski » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:53 am

SpoilerShow
For all the talk of fresh starts, of building a brighter, more ambitious future at Newcastle United, one crucial point has perhaps been overlooked: You can only build successfully on solid foundations.

Less than two weeks into this post-Mike Ashley world at St James’ Park, not only are the foundations anything but solid — in places, they are barely perceptible. As a senior source among the consortium told The Athletic last week: “There is so much to do. We always knew that, but the reality also hits home (once you are actually inside of it).”

For Yasir Al-Rumayyan, the non-executive chairman, in attendance as part of a Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund (PIF) delegation, there was perhaps a stark realisation that, despite spending £240 million to acquire 80 per cent of the club, perhaps tens of millions more are needed just to ensure Newcastle retain their top-flight status. To actually challenge for the Premier League title, as is the stated aim within half a decade, the sums required are almost incomprehensible.

But, before they can even consider bringing in reinforcements, they must navigate another 12 games. The January transfer window cannot come soon enough but, by that stage, half of the season will have gone. A fifth of it has already passed and Newcastle have failed to win any of their opening eight games, sit second-bottom of the table and are three points adrift of safety.

While there are clear deficiencies within the squad, in the view of many supporters, the primary issue now that Ashley has departed is the head coach he left in the dugout. Steve Bruce may have been overseeing his 1,000th competitive match as a manager, an excellent achievement and a testament to his longevity, but it is a landmark many supporters hoped he would not reach as soon as this weekend.

In a survey conducted by The Athletic, 97 per cent of fans called for Bruce to be dismissed.

Upon assuming control, the consortium appeared certain to relieve Bruce of his duties and the expectation was that they could do so before the first match of the “new era”. Whether by accident, or design, with the strong suspicion being the former, Bruce endured.

Perhaps now, having witnessed first-hand the disarray the team are in during the 3-2 defeat by Tottenham Hotspur, and having listened to thousands of supporters once again demand Bruce’s removal, they will take the action so many anticipated would be a formality.

“I’ll wait until they set fit and we’ll see what they’ve got to say,” Bruce said, when asked if he was set for further talks with the owners. “You’ve got to ask somebody else that one.”

As it has done at several junctures before, however, Bruce’s position feels untenable.

Newcastle may have started with magnificent intensity, taking a deserved lead through Callum Wilson, but that seemed to be fuelled by the emotional energy they absorbed from a crowd celebrating the end of the Ashley era. The pre-match atmosphere was electric and it inspired Newcastle, while it surprised Spurs, who appeared rattled.

Yet, as has so often been the case, Newcastle’s woeful defending cost them. All three of Tottenham’s goals were far too simple — and, if there is some mitigation in terms of players being affected by a fan suffering from a medical emergency during the first half, the visitors were already leading 2-1 by that stage.

For Spurs’ first, Tanguy Ndombele was given space inside the area to curl into the net.

The second, meanwhile, came from a poorly-sprung offside trap, which Harry Kane overcame, with the help of VAR, to lob Karl Darlow. Then, for the third, the defence were torn apart by Tottenham’s front four.

“It’s pretty obvious we haven’t defended well enough,” Bruce said. “Unfortunately, we’ve done that a little bit too often this season for my liking.”

Few supporters will argue with that. Not only have Newcastle conceded a Premier League-high 19 goals – three worse than the second-leakiest defence, Norwich City – they also have the worst expected goals against (xGA) of 15.2. Those statistics are perhaps unsurprising considering Newcastle also gift the third-highest number of shots to their opponents (16.1 per game) and the second-most efforts on target (5.5 per match).

Given that four of Newcastle’s back five against Spurs played during the 2016-17 Championship-winning campaign — Darlow, Jamaal Lascelles, Ciaran Clark and Matt Ritchie — it is little wonder that their ageing squad is creaking.

What fans will contest is why Bruce is still the man tasked with trying to secure positive results. Bruce repeatedly cites Newcastle’s shortcomings — primarily their inability to stop the opposition from scoring, with no clean sheets in the league this season — yet the team has shown no discernible improvement. This defensive regression has occurred over time and is now so chronic that it puts their top-flight status at severe risk.

So, does Bruce accept the newly-anointed “richest club in the world” are in a relegation battle?

“Well, have we not been for five out of the last six years?” Bruce said. “We’ve been up against it, certainly since I picked up the reins. We’ve finished 12th and 13th. I found that very respectable. If you’re in the bottom half of the table, you’re in a relegation battle.”

For all the talk of fantasy football, winning trophies and signing superstars over the past 10 days, the actuality of Newcastle’s plight has perhaps now dawned on the consortium. You only get one “first game” as fresh custodians and this was definitely not the on-field start they would have envisaged.

With Bruce still on the touchline, he became the focal point for frustration, the surviving symbol of the stagnation of the Ashley years. Removing the head coach will not solve all of Newcastle’s problems, but it would at least offer a break from the past.

Newcastle’s owners need to install solid foundations from which to build — and many fans would argue that the first of those should have been, and still should be, a new head coach.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Re: The reality is Newcastle are in a relegation battle. They need a new head coach [The Athletic]

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:12 am

there was perhaps a stark realisation that, despite spending £240 million to acquire 80 per cent of the club, perhaps tens of millions more are needed just to ensure Newcastle retain their top-flight status. To actually challenge for the Premier League title, as is the stated aim within half a decade, the sums required are almost incomprehensible.
I'd be worried if the consortium thought any different. It's plainly obvious to me that the manager is s***, the players are mostly s***, the ground is a bit s***, the training ground is s*** and the club in general just has an aura of s*** about it. I didn't even have the benefit of having a closer look at the situation either.
Kindly deeds done for free!

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Re: The reality is Newcastle are in a relegation battle. They need a new head coach [The Athletic]

Post by seaside nipper » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:53 am

Need clear strategy required to be outlined ASAP.
Sure we know this is a process ( long term ) but the stark reality from yesterday’s showing ( adrenaline fuelled start aside ) we have a championship management team, with most players currently showing championship form. We will be there shortly unless the management team is changed forthwith, after all relegation , well that’s not part of the process.
We need to replace the empty vessel of club governance with a structure, that’ll take time.
For me the immediate here and now is to get the initial manager decision made and paid for !
There must surely be a plan for that ? The consortium surely have not arrived and said, right we’ve got the place , what’s next 🤣
Newcastle deserve to know what that is now !
Clydeside & Tyneside

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:53 am
Need clear strategy required to be outlined ASAP.
Sure we know this is a process ( long term ) but the stark reality from yesterday’s showing ( adrenaline fuelled start aside ) we have a championship management team, with most players currently showing championship form. We will be there shortly unless the management team is changed forthwith, after all relegation , well that’s not part of the process.
We need to replace the empty vessel of club governance with a structure, that’ll take time.
For me the immediate here and now is to get the initial manager decision made and paid for !
There must surely be a plan for that ? The consortium surely have not arrived and said, right we’ve got the place , what’s next 🤣
Newcastle deserve to know what that is now !
I'm sure at many points in their attempted ownership they've had plans or likely even negotiations ongoing to bring in a new manager should the sale go through. But it's been dragged on for so long I'm sure the names have kept revolving as the managers take up new positions or sign new contracts.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:42 pm

Some of the issues we have now we didn't have pre Bruce, the squad and defence especially is capable of much more, it's 100% the fault of the management that they have regressed to this point, there is zero structure or organisation of the defensive shape, our best defensive midfielder plays almost as an attacking midfield/left winger at times. The man needs to go sooner rather than later. Also he's pissing me off asking for "clarity" he knows full well he's not the man to lead this club in the new era, what he really means is sack me because I'm not going to walk away when I can get £8m in me pocket. At this point I'm convinced that's all he wants from this job. He doesn't care about results he cares about getting the payout.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:06 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:42 pm
Some of the issues we have now we didn't have pre Bruce, the squad and defence especially is capable of much more, it's 100% the fault of the management that they have regressed to this point, there is zero structure or organisation of the defensive shape, our best defensive midfielder plays almost as an attacking midfield/left winger at times. The man needs to go sooner rather than later. Also he's pissing me off asking for "clarity" he knows full well he's not the man to lead this club in the new era, what he really means is sack me because I'm not going to walk away when I can get £8m in me pocket. At this point I'm convinced that's all he wants from this job. He doesn't care about results he cares about getting the payout.
Totally agree that the structure is an issue, but our backline was mediocre and slow at their best - and now have just gotten older and staler. Especially at CB and LB. Under Rafa and year 1 of Bruce CB was the only position of depth with players in their prime, but a few years on and they look really long in tooth.

I think a manager always wants results, but he clearly doesn't know how to get them, and knows it's a matter of when and no if he's going to go - regardless of how the side performs now.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:59 am

Though I’m not Schar’s biggest fan, I saw someone on Twitter saying how can he be good enough to start for Switzerland but not for us, the team with the worst/joint worst defence in the league…can’t disagree.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

GreggyF
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by GreggyF » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:33 pm

idk did quite well last season with poor players. lets see what 50m can buy this jan.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:28 am

GreggyF wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:33 pm
idk did quite well last season with poor players. lets see what 50m can buy this jan.
2 wins in 17 Dec-April. We benefited from an uplift in form, in part due to Willock playing himself into consideration and being in blistering form. No doubt due to to the grand advice of Steve "I don't believe in tactics" Bruce telling good old Willock to 'run around a bit and try to score a goal.' In fairness, it seemed to work.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:34 am

Rafa out

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:21 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:59 am
Though I’m not Schar’s biggest fan, I saw someone on Twitter saying how can he be good enough to start for Switzerland but not for us, the team with the worst/joint worst defence in the league…can’t disagree.
Well they obviously haven't been paying attention to Switzerland as Schar doesn't start for them (in competitive football anyway)
I'll Hazard a guess

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:32 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:21 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Well they obviously haven't been paying attention to Switzerland as Schar doesn't start for them (in competitive football anyway)
He has started 2 of the last 5. The swizz coach seems to mix between Schar and Akanji next to Elvedi.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:51 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:21 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Started their last qualifier I thought?

He is still a regular in their squad, he started a couple of games in the EUROS from memory and also some sub appearances. I'm sure he played a lot of minutes in the first international break too.

Either way, he gets more minutes for Switzerland than he does for us.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?