Brighton v Newcastle match day thread

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Re: Brighton v Newcastle match day thread

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:36 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:21 pm
Joelinton would probably fit in really well at Burnley tbf! He does work hard and runs a lot, and has decent strength - exactly what Dyche wants.
I wonder where Dyche is on the list? <scratch>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:40 pm

So he has basically been used at wrong position his whole career then. Should have been a DM. Bought as a £40m striker, turns out he cannot play there so he needs to play in the position of our BEST player. Now it turns out he is one of the few who turns up when the battle is heating up and is coming of the bench. I say throw him in a DM position, because he surely is no threat in front of goal.
We need more than someone who runs when we attack we 2 or 3 players.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:41 pm

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:36 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:21 pm
Joelinton would probably fit in really well at Burnley tbf! He does work hard and runs a lot, and has decent strength - exactly what Dyche wants.
Now that would be sad... And the people who said Benitez played destructive football would loose their minds <laugh>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:49 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:41 pm
Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:36 pm

Now that would be sad... And the people who said Benitez played destructive football would loose their minds <laugh>
You wouldn't take him? Done a solid job at Burnley for a number of years. Definitely not someone who would improve us in the long term, but perhaps part of a new generation of fire fighters to replace big Sam, Hodgeson et al. Not that I think he would leave Burnley to come to us for a potentially short term appointment, but think he could get our team organised and stem the bleeding a bit.

At the minute our very publicly second choice at best manager is yet to be approved apparently because of a hiccup with a member of his back room staff. I can't believe it's because Howe wants to hand pick a mate as DoF, surely no manager would have the influence to choose someone who is essentially their immediate boss. He's very close to Michael Edwards throughout his career, Edwards is now sporting director at Liverpool, and despite that friendship - I very much doubt he would come here.

I'm also thinking that if the Howe deal does fall through, whilst it would reflect badly on our new ownership, surely it would see Howe's stock take a hit as well? Not because it's Newcastle, but because it's twice in a short period (Celtic, now us) that there was a deal in principle, but fell at the final hurdle.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:50 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:40 pm
So he has basically been used at wrong position his whole career then. Should have been a DM. Bought as a £40m striker, turns out he cannot play there so he needs to play in the position of our BEST player. Now it turns out he is one of the few who turns up when the battle is heating up and is coming of the bench. I say throw him in a DM position, because he surely is no threat in front of goal.
We need more than someone who runs when we attack we 2 or 3 players.
Had he ever played as a striker before signing for us?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:05 pm

No idea, point is we used him as one. And he shouldn't be above midfield in my opinion.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:12 pm

I agree, but entirely the fault of our management / coaching setup.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:24 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:12 pm
I agree, but entirely the fault of our management / coaching setup.
Might be. He has all the skills of a DM or maybe even a wingback if he could get some crosses in. I think most managers are scared to try out players in other positions, which could be a huge win if a player who has under performed for a long time suddenly finds his spot.
It happens all the time for young players, and almost never at professional level.
If a striker/attacking midfielder has enough concentration to keep his cool in tackles and position but not when you are inside the last third, you should try out a DM or wingback role. We allready know he has dual strength and speed, and there is not much of a loss at all tbh.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:30 pm

Yeah, and he is totally useless in the box - would rather see a chance fall to Joselu in the box!

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:42 pm

Yep. At least he knows what part of the body you use for a header.
Edit: sorry, I will stopp this harassment right away <laugh>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:47 pm

He's an attacking left winger. I'm not suggesting he'll become a world beater, but a good coach might get us to the point where he isn't just trapping long balls, and with a central midfield that actually moves up the field for him to pass to he could contribute more. I'd said it before, judging any attacking player on how well they play in this team is insane.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:50 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:47 pm
He's an attacking left winger. I'm not suggesting he'll become a world beater, but a good coach might get us to the point where he isn't just trapping long balls, and with a central midfield that actually moves up the field for him to pass to he could contribute more. I'd said it before, judging any attacking player on how well they play in this team is insane.
He is not attacking anything other than my patience.
Sorry, last one.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:50 am

I was seething with Shelvey for not having a shot at the stand in keeper at the end - or even making him attempt to catch the ball. Such non awareness seems staggering . Where was our leader on the pitch?

But over all I now feel far happier with our situation. Howe gets 2 weeks to get to know the players- and now we need to get after teams . 2 or 3 new loanees in Jan ( at least please) . 1 attacking midfielder and perhaps another option up front and in defence

We've been playing like frightened kittens all season.

Gawalls
Wood's Touch

Post by Gawalls » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:59 pm

Has Howe even got the job yet? Both him and us have got form for screwing deals up

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:44 pm

just seen highlights of match, seriously Shelvey would be the first out the door if I was taking charge. I know you work on set plays the whole week and the set piece was probably well drilled and thought through, but they have a cb in goal smack it at him, I don't think we actually worked Dunk at all
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:01 pm

No, same with corners at the end. Didn’t cause him any trouble which was disappointing.

Actually thought it made a difference in the second half having Shelvey in the team as tbh he did look to get it forward. Better than Longstaff (low bar..).

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:31 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:01 pm
No, same with corners at the end. Didn’t cause him any trouble which was disappointing.

Actually thought it made a difference in the second half having Shelvey in the team as tbh he did look to get it forward. Better than Longstaff (low bar..).
I'd probably always argue that there's a void in the midfield when Shelvey doesn't play - in that nobody else in the middle of the park even wants the ball or to pass it forward. Sadly we've long needed someone who is better at it than him.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:37 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:31 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:

I'd probably always argue that there's a void in the midfield when Shelvey doesn't play - in that nobody else in the middle of the park even wants the ball or to pass it forward. Sadly we've long needed someone who is better at it than him.
True and true.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:05 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:31 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Whereas I'd always argue there's a void in midfield when he does play because he's never bloody there...