Lee Charnley Leaves the Club

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Lee Charnley Leaves the Club

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:03 pm

Newcastle United can confirm that its managing director, Lee Charnley, has left the club following a handover period with the new ownership group.

Lee has been with the club for 22 years, the last seven of which were as the Magpies’ managing director.

Newcastle United was acquired by an investment group led by PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media in October. The club’s new Board will continue to oversee all operations.

The club has also begun a formal recruitment process to appoint a CEO and will make an announcement in due course.

Lee Charnley said: "To have been at Newcastle United for 22 years has been an honour and a privilege, and the club, its people and our city will always be very special to me.

"As it enters a new chapter in its history under new owners, I wish Amanda, the rest of the Board and everyone connected with the club every success."

Amanda Staveley said: "I would like to thank Lee sincerely for his support and professionalism during this time of change. His knowledge and assistance have been hugely appreciated by the club’s new Board.

"Lee ends a long association with the club and on behalf of the Board, staff and players, I’d like to wish him the very best for the future."
Wonder if a new appointment is imminent, could be something in the Emenalo rumours that started circling again last night 🤔
Last edited by Don Sholeone on Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: Lee Charnley Leaves the Club

Post by Cal » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:08 pm

<wave>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:22 pm

Apparently majorly underqualified for the position and by virtue got to where he was just by being a long-standing member of staff. He presumably does care for the club after 22 years here and is probably another victim of the Ashley approach.

100% the right move though.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:06 pm

Cheers Lee and thanks for the 22 years of service.

Have a few pints and reflect back on the good memories

Not going to have a go at him for his time under Ashley.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:15 pm

Exactly. Everyone had him down as an Ashley crony, but he was there a decade before him. I know I wouldn't reject a role like that, and it sounds like he tried to do a decent job even if that job was to tell successive managers there's no money.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:09 pm

I think he could have done a lot more for us in the Ashley era, considering how long he had been here i'd expect he had a very good understanding of who we are as a club. Ashley went against everything that was Newcastle United and Charnley stuck by that till the end and that's something I think he can be criticised for, he was in a powerful position and he could have helped push us in a different direction but he didn't. For someone who spend so long here I just feel he should have treat it as more than just a job.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:48 pm

22 years! f*** me. Got to say good riddance but obviously another example of the Peter principle.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:05 pm

None of us can know what the goings on were within the club during this time so judging how much of the disappointing Ashley era can be laid at his door is a pretty futile exercise. Personally I doubt his authority extended to setting budgets or deciding what it was spent on, which let's face it were the main issues fans objected to. We also have no more to go on about the day to day admin to judge his competence. So I wish him well for the future and I suspect he is secretly relieved to have finally left the circus.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:21 pm

<cheers> Finally. I can let my shoulders down... And let the good times come <awe>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:50 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:05 pm
None of us can know what the goings on were within the club during this time so judging how much of the disappointing Ashley era can be laid at his door is a pretty futile exercise. Personally I doubt his authority extended to setting budgets or deciding what it was spent on, which let's face it were the main issues fans objected to. We also have no more to go on about the day to day admin to judge his competence. So I wish him well for the future and I suspect he is secretly relieved to have finally left the circus.
To be fair a couple of Journo's have been damning of him in terms of how he was part of the problem and how fiercely he would defend controversial actions when he was interviewed or when they spoke with him.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:50 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:05 pm
To be fair a couple of Journo's have been damning of him in terms of how he was part of the problem and how fiercely he would defend controversial actions when he was interviewed or when they spoke with him.
Who was it that wrote that detailed article about him a few months ago? Had a lot of behind-the-scenes opinions from past and present folks from the club. I thought that was a relatively balanced story that told of his strengths and weaknesses in the role and what he did and didn't have influence over.