Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Match Thread: Newcastle v Norwich

Post by Oval85 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:15 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:27 pm
Oval85 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:12 am

To me, this is more thrilling than survival and midtable next year. I believe more than half our squad is not good enough for EPL, and it's quite obvious that a total overhaul is needed to even think about europe. Would make the team learn how to win again also, sometimes confidence is more worth than anything.
Is that a bonus when whoever would be playing for us next season likely wouldn't be the players playing in the PL? People said the same thing before the last relegation, but instead we ended with a bunch of dead wood that weren't good enough for the PL and it didn't build any momentum. Now with finances and ambition, the worst possible outcome would be getting relegated and ensuring none of the potential quality players we can now afford would want to play for us. It'll delay the project by years.
We have a bunch of deadwood allready and I don't really care if we ship them off in EPL of Championship.
A total rebuild is needed, and let's be honest, maybe one or two players would be in a top 6 team at max.

But we will see who is right, or at least who is wrong. Hopefully we don't end up with a bunch of gold diggers who wants a relegation clause, but I have my concerns.

My wish for january is still Mitro, who would go down with us and up again, a defender and a midfielder then just hope for the best, which is what we might have to do and that is to be PL's best team in the second half <laugh> <coat>

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:09 am

Well, so far with Brentford still to play, Leeds are the only team in the bottom half of the table to register a victory in the current round of games so all is not lost.

Roll on Saturday!

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:53 am

UlversToon wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:09 am
Well, so far with Brentford still to play, Leeds are the only team in the bottom half of the table to register a victory in the current round of games so all is not lost.

Roll on Saturday!
yep - perhaps we are being ultra optimists - however the teams are bunching up a bit at the lower end with a lot of draws.

even Brighton in top half haven't won for 9 games after a fantastic start .

Of the teams near the bottom I think Villa and Leeds will pull clear as they have a lot of quality. Many like Brentford, Everton etc coukd get sucked in.

This is all meaningless unless we start to score points.

with 24 games to play I reckon we need 30 points

So over a point per game.

Need to win minimum 8 games I woukd say - if tge first of these doesn't land vs Burnley I'd say it's looking tough

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:15 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:27 pm

Is that a bonus when whoever would be playing for us next season likely wouldn't be the players playing in the PL? People said the same thing before the last relegation, but instead we ended with a bunch of dead wood that weren't good enough for the PL and it didn't build any momentum. Now with finances and ambition, the worst possible outcome would be getting relegated and ensuring none of the potential quality players we can now afford would want to play for us. It'll delay the project by years.
We have a bunch of deadwood allready and I don't really care if we ship them off in EPL of Championship.
A total rebuild is needed, and let's be honest, maybe one or two players would be in a top 6 team at max.

But we will see who is right, or at least who is wrong. Hopefully we don't end up with a bunch of gold diggers who wants a relegation clause, but I have my concerns.

My wish for january is still Mitro, who would go down with us and up again, a defender and a midfielder then just hope for the best, which is what we might have to do and that is to be PL's best team in the second half <laugh> <coat>
Oh I completely agree a total rebuild is needed, I just don't believe the best place to do it is in the Championship. Because I feel it ensures you have to rebuild twice, and that's not even counting challenges to recruiting/keeping a high quality DOF, etc.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:29 pm

With regards to delaying the project, pre-takeover we were all looking at a lifetime of no success, so if we get relegated and it adds 2-3 years to things then we're still quids in.

Relegation also wouldn't stop any infrastructure development such as redoing the training ground and academy which are both equally important in the long run so that can still go full steam ahead.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:30 pm

I wonder if they'd drop the ticket price again like Ashley did...

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:40 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:25 am
Toondes wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:04 am
I think we are f***ed personally . Even if we win against Burnley , our run of fixtures in December will probably return 2-3 points max ( probably 0). We’ll be too far adrift by then . We’ll end up needing 10 wins from 19 games . I wonder what players will stick around in the championship . On a positive note , the could be a local Derby for us next season .
I agree, given that we haven't won a game since May(!) I fail to see how we'll realistically win the equivalent of 10 from the 24 remaining games that we'll need to win to stay up.

I don't mind a season in the Championship. Most of us would have taken a year in the Championship if it meant we got rid of Ashley and that looks like how it's going to pan out.
This. <applause>

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:27 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:05 pm
Oval85 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:15 pm

Oh I completely agree a total rebuild is needed, I just don't believe the best place to do it is in the Championship. Because I feel it ensures you have to rebuild twice, and that's not even counting challenges to recruiting/keeping a high quality DOF, etc.
Fair enough. It seems inevitable though.
My concern about staying in the league is that alot of the deadwood will stay as well. I would love to see a sparky Director of football who has the balls to build a squad completely from scratch!

Just to add, I don't mind us staying up, just like I don't mind us going down. I look a bit further down the road than most probably, and I truly believe that if we are somewhat a force in the near future, lets say 4-5 years, none of the players who are here now will be. Might as well start the wood chipper.
Last edited by Oval85 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:53 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:27 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:05 pm

Fair enough. It seems inevitable though.
My concern about staying in the league is that alot of the deadwood will stay as well. I would love to see a sparky Director of football who has the balls to build a squad completely from scratch!
<shello>

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:15 pm

If we were looking at us from a non nufc fan's perspective, you'd think "they're down". I know I would. I'm still hoping for a miracle but 14 games without a win on the trot, no chance. Some people think January will change things, it won't, we will have to pay over the odds for mercenaries who won't care about us and will still have to bed into the team, tactics and probably the league itself.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:06 pm

To put it another way, we need to get 8 more points than Watford over the next 24 games. Doesn't seem as insurmountable then

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:09 pm

Beat Burnley 5-0 at the weekend and we go above them. Just saying.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:43 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:09 pm
4-0 would be enough! ;)

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:44 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:43 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:09 pm
4-0 would be enough! ;)
1-0 will do me

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:48 pm

Smells like a nailbiting 2-1

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:01 pm

Got my ticket, just hope my heart holds up!

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:33 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:01 pm
Ffs, we allready had two incidents at two different arenas a few days ago, but I do fear for all the old NUFC fans going in the near future <laugh> You'll be allright Ulvis 8)

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:36 am

Oval85 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:33 pm
UlversToon wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:01 pm
Ffs, we allready had two incidents at two different arenas a few days ago, but I do fear for all the old NUFC fans going in the near future <laugh> You'll be allright Ulvis 8)
<ok>

I nearly keeled over at the price of the ticket! <laugh>

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:31 am

UlversToon wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:36 am
Oval85 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:33 pm

<ok>

I nearly keeled over at the price of the ticket! <laugh>
I’m there too…… got tickets for Man Utd and cost me three figures for two tickets and that’s with a junior ! Cost £20 more than for Burnley….must be the Ronaldo premium.
Clydeside & Tyneside

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:55 am

yeah