newcastle cambridge in fac up 3rd round

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: newcastle cambridge in fac up 3rd round

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:44 pm

For all people used to talk about the lineups our managers would select for the cup upset losses, I thought it was overstated how much rotation would be done, and it's so often come down to an apparentlack of motivation. Or alternatively, that we've played on the backfoot for better parts of a decade in the league, it's hard to then flip a switch against lower league opposition and have a killer instinct for dominating play and scoring goals.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:10 pm

Heard something on a pod earlier to put this into some perspective.

A couple of seasons ago we played Watford in the FA cup at SJP. They made 11 changes to effectively try and lose the game but ended up beating us.

The following week we beat Man C.

Do many people remember/care about the defeat to Watford reserves? The response matter more, the weekends game matters more.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:43 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:10 pm
Heard something on a pod earlier to put this into some perspective.

A couple of seasons ago we played Watford in the FA cup at SJP. They made 11 changes to effectively try and lose the game but ended up beating us.

The following week we beat Man C.

Do many people remember/care about the defeat to Watford reserves? The response matter more, the weekends game matters more.
That's kinda the thing. If you have a great cup run, sure, that produces some amazing memories. But the failed ones can be forgotten quickly too. Not that I forget being in the Strawberry watching us lose to Stevenage over a decade ago... <urgh>