Chelsea Takeover Agreed

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Abramovich/Chelsea Hit by Sanctions (Club Sale is Off)

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:24 am

Colly wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:04 am
That's not a shambles, that's a calculated decision based on their view that our population are now an utter bunch of pricks. I'm hoping that continues to backfire in the polls.

Edit: In response to Benny...
Very true!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:50 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:24 am
Colly wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:04 am
That's not a shambles, that's a calculated decision based on their view that our population are now an utter bunch of pricks. I'm hoping that continues to backfire in the polls.

Edit: In response to Benny...
Very true!
Yep they are making a conscious policy decision which they think will win the approval of the xenophobic uk first brexit voting types. Of which there appear to be a worryingly high number these days.

When socially conservative countries like Poland and Hungary are putting the UK to shame regarding the taking in of refugees that is a terrible indictment of our response. Combined with Boris and his cronies bragging from the rooftops (without justification) that the UK is leading the response and coordinating European efforts it is frankly embarrassing. Boris is just revelling in the fact that the war has diverted the attention of the public away from his many failings for a time and he means to try and portray himself as the Churchillian hero of the hour. I hope the public won't fall for it, but as many were fooled into voting for him in the first place I fear he will get away with it. What is it with populations and their unfailing ability to vote in the stupidest cronut possible?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:33 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:50 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:24 am

Very true!
Yep they are making a conscious policy decision which they think will win the approval of the xenophobic uk first brexit voting types. Of which there appear to be a worryingly high number these days.

When socially conservative countries like Poland and Hungary are putting the UK to shame regarding the taking in of refugees that is a terrible indictment of our response. Combined with Boris and his cronies bragging from the rooftops (without justification) that the UK is leading the response and coordinating European efforts it is frankly embarrassing. Boris is just revelling in the fact that the war has diverted the attention of the public away from his many failings for a time and he means to try and portray himself as the Churchillian hero of the hour. I hope the public won't fall for it, but as many were fooled into voting for him in the first place I fear he will get away with it. What is it with populations and their unfailing ability to vote in the stupidest cronut possible?
I'll make a sweeping and likely unfair generalization, but we're in an era in which people want to support the people they relate to most, rather than ones that are potentially smarter or speak over their heads. The demand for contrarian opinion and dismissal of experts drives some people to vote for shameless idiots.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:27 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:03 am
I think a lot of people are drawing parallels between what is happening in Yemen with what is happening with Ukraine. Neither is good of course, but it's slightly different. The (disputed) Yemeni president requested Saudi Arabia's assistance rather than MBS waking up one day and deciding to annihilate them for the fun of it. Also, UK and Saudi are allies, whereas UK and Russia are not. If the UK government decides to cripple our entire defence industry, then we probably need to start worrying about the football club too.
This 100%. As bad as the situation is in Yemen it annoys me that all these people who comment on it frame it as SA going to war with Yemen, not that it makes the situation any better but the facts actually matter, it seems in society these days it's ok to lie and manipulate facts if you are deemed to be on the right side of the argument, it's such a slippery slope imo and the main reason I've become so distant from politics. I'm sick of people I generally agree with (at least used to) happily spreading lies and disinformation.

Regarding the while Abramovich thing I've seen so many people framing the 2 conflicts as the exact same thing when they really aren't.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:13 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:27 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:03 am
I think a lot of people are drawing parallels between what is happening in Yemen with what is happening with Ukraine. Neither is good of course, but it's slightly different. The (disputed) Yemeni president requested Saudi Arabia's assistance rather than MBS waking up one day and deciding to annihilate them for the fun of it. Also, UK and Saudi are allies, whereas UK and Russia are not. If the UK government decides to cripple our entire defence industry, then we probably need to start worrying about the football club too.
This 100%. As bad as the situation is in Yemen it annoys me that all these people who comment on it frame it as SA going to war with Yemen, not that it makes the situation any better but the facts actually matter, it seems in society these days it's ok to lie and manipulate facts if you are deemed to be on the right side of the argument, it's such a slippery slope imo and the main reason I've become so distant from politics. I'm sick of people I generally agree with (at least used to) happily spreading lies and disinformation.

Regarding the while Abramovich thing I've seen so many people framing the 2 conflicts as the exact same thing when they really aren't.
10s of thousands of people have died in Yemen as a result of the Saudi ''intervention'' , lets not pretend that the Saudi government, the people who own a large chunk of our football club aren't responsible for it. The two conflicts aren't the same but very much have the same outcome, displacement, death, destruction. How on earth you can try and defend things that the Saudi's have done because ''it's not as bad as Russia'' or defend it as people ''spreading misinformation'' is disgusting and utter arse.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:24 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:13 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:27 pm

10s of thousands of people have died in Yemen as a result of the Saudi ''intervention'' , lets not pretend that the Saudi government, the people who own a large chunk of our football club aren't responsible for it. The two conflicts aren't the same but very much have the same outcome, displacement, death, destruction. How on earth you can try and defend things that the Saudi's have done because ''it's not as bad as Russia'' or defend it as people ''spreading misinformation'' is disgusting and utter arse.
How is that defending them? it's called stating facts. So please tell me where I am factually wrong? Saudi have played a part but let's also not pretend that there aren't Houthi insurgents who are about to be reclassified as a terrorist organisation, who are committing attrocities, stealing humanitarian aid, using child soldiers, land mining civilian areas all in the name of preventing Yemen from heading towards democracy.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:37 pm

So yeah, Chelsea aren’t allowed to sell burgers on Sunday <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:48 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:37 pm
Especially not to Houthi rebels.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:53 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:37 pm
Cash only, no card payments! <whistle>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:29 am

Apparently last night Barclays froze the Chelsea accounts that they were supposed to run the "footballing side" with, Some journos ran stories that staff couldn't even buy the petrol for the team bus.

They think it will be lifted though as it's only because Barclays want further clarification and protection form potentially breaching the sanctions.

Will probably get sorted quickly but any disruption before Sunday has to play into our hands.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:45 pm

The Premier League has disqualified Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich as a director of the club after the oligarch was sanctioned by the UK government.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:40 pm

I would love it if they crashed. So many years since Tore André Flo, Gianfranco Zola and Gianluca Vialli and it was a enjoyable team.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:20 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:40 pm
I would love it if they crashed. So many years since Tore André Flo, Gianfranco Zola and Gianluca Vialli and it was a enjoyable team.
To be clear, this is financially and not the team bus?

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:15 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:20 pm
Oval85 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:40 pm
To be clear, this is financially and not the team bus?
Well... It would horrible with airplane but a small bump on the road to France I don't mind <whistle>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:48 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60853090

So Chelsea can see tickets for cup games and away games, but on condition that the money made goes to the premier league! The PL is as money grabbing as the players these days. Why not give the money to charity?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:30 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:48 am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60853090

So Chelsea can see tickets for cup games and away games, but on condition that the money made goes to the premier league! The PL is as money grabbing as the players these days. Why not give the money to charity?
Let's be honest, sports club owners and leagues have always been more money grabbing than even the players <laugh>
But in all seriousness, agreed. I'd love to hear their excuse for where the revenue will allegedly go.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:40 pm

Chelsea requested and the PL have agreed for the money to go to Ukraine.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat May 07, 2022 8:10 am

Terms of sale have apparently been agreed with a consortium led by LA Dodgers owner Todd Boehly, subject to passing the Premier League's owners' and directors' test which won't take long as the sale has to be completed by the end of the month.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat May 07, 2022 8:16 am

More Americans 🙄, this is why the league got into the shitty ESL bollocks in the first place, it's just another secure vote for the next power grab by the greedy six. Imo all these American owners are more dangerous to the PL brand than KSA is imo.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sat May 07, 2022 9:33 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:16 am
More Americans 🙄, this is why the league got into the s***ty ESL bollocks in the first place, it's just another secure vote for the next power grab by the greedy six. Imo all these American owners are more dangerous to the PL brand than KSA is imo.
Not sure we’re best placed to criticise other clubs’ owners.