Does anyone still dislike Man Utd?

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Does anyone still dislike Man Utd?

Post by originallad » Sat May 07, 2022 7:52 pm

I know this might be a bit niche as some of you have never disliked man utd. But I have. Having been right in the middle of the Fergie era while in school in Manchester I was surrounded by manure fans who were smashing the prem and everything else.

I'm not ashamed to say I cried when they scored 2 goals in two minutes in that champions league final against Bayern Munich.

I'm not saying they didn't deserve their success during that time, but I am saying their fans have been awful for ages and their team during that period were awful for houding the ref whenever and just massive complainers in general. Fergie was a massive t*** most of the time...

Anyway, they're pretty s**** now compared to City, Liverpool, Chelsea...But the darling BBC (and media in general) still love them and because of that makes me still hate them just as much as I did almost 30 years ago.

Any team you disliked but now don't..or not as much for whatever reason?

Is there a team that could be relegated 4 times in a row and you would still dislike them just as much?

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Does anyone still dislike Man Utd?

Post by Oval85 » Sat May 07, 2022 7:55 pm

Yes, they are still dislikable. I didn't mind the success Solskjær had just because it was a cool moment as a norwegian, but now?! Same old shitty manure. Can't stand them

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sat May 07, 2022 7:59 pm

Yes because of the entitlement and the "this is man United" nonsense
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sat May 07, 2022 9:46 pm

This is what I'm talking about with the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61365465

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat May 07, 2022 10:00 pm

Wouldn't say I disliked them as a football club, some of their fans are idiots though.

I seen some of their fans actually celebrating Liverpool dropping points to spurs today.

I know they are rivals with Liverpool but it means there other main rivals are now in pole position.

Like it would be kind of like our fan base being happy Boro dropped points but it means Sunderland were now favourites to win the league <ohnoes>
I'll Hazard a guess

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sat May 07, 2022 10:28 pm

Its weird. I've seen some proper hate and/or dislike for Sunderland. But I've never felt it. I think they're a an annoying mosquito of a club but don't dislike them. I really hope we get them in the league or FA cup next year, as I do every year.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun May 08, 2022 9:47 am

Man Utd have the same issue now as Liverpool did in the 90s, fallen giants but tv punditry is dominated by their ex players who compare everything with their day. It was Lawrenson and Hansen then, but it's worse now because the likes of Rio and Scholes are thick as s***, and Neville and Keane seem to firmly believe Man Utd are entitled to success. It's amusing in a way because we've probably watched the same analysis from the latter two for about a decade but they still haven't quite got it, Neville's still going on about "the United way" on twitter this morning.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sun May 08, 2022 9:54 am

That's what pisses me the f*** off. "The Utd way". Wtf is that?!

Also, there are more than one Utd.

Twats.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun May 08, 2022 10:33 am

Yeah I dislike Man Utd. Mostly because of the entitlement of the fans and living where I do I was surrounded by them during their heyday. I doubt I will ever stop disliking the club no matter how far it would fall.

But the club I hate the most and would definitely still hate even if it plummeted down the leagues into non-league would be Liverpool. Because my older brother supported them and was monumentally obnoxious throughout the period when they won nearly every trophy going. Made worse because he supported Chelsea until they got relegated from the old Division 1 and then switched to Liverpool after they beat my team (Toon) in the 1974 FA Cup Final, basically as a f*** you to me. Then crowed about their later success, as I stuck to my team through thick and thin. I genuinely have spent most of my life supporting two teams; Newcastle and whoever is playing Liverpool.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun May 08, 2022 11:52 am

I've hated manure for over 50 years now mainly due to their fans rather than the club itself.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sun May 08, 2022 12:51 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:33 am
Yeah I dislike Man Utd. Mostly because of the entitlement of the fans and living where I do I was surrounded by them during their heyday. I doubt I will ever stop disliking the club no matter how far it would fall.

But the club I hate the most and would definitely still hate even if it plummeted down the leagues into non-league would be Liverpool. Because my older brother supported them and was monumentally obnoxious throughout the period when they won nearly every trophy going. Made worse because he supported Chelsea until they got relegated from the old Division 1 and then switched to Liverpool after they beat my team (Toon) in the 1974 FA Cup Final, basically as a **** you to me. Then crowed about their later success, as I stuck to my team through thick and thin. I genuinely have spent most of my life supporting two teams; Newcastle and whoever is playing Liverpool.
<laugh> <applause>

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sun May 08, 2022 12:52 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:52 am
I've hated manure for over 50 years now mainly due to their fans rather than the club itself.
Aye same. But 30 years. I'll never stop. Hope I live long enough to see them relegated.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun May 08, 2022 12:57 pm

originallad wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:52 pm
UlversToon wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:52 am
Aye same. But 30 years. I'll never stop. Hope I live long enough to see them relegated.
At least I've had the pleasure of having seen them relegated! <laugh> <laugh>

Timshorts2

Post by Timshorts2 » Sun May 08, 2022 2:59 pm

I'm not sure that I see or hear any reason to dislike man United any less.
If there is a side I dislike less, then it is probably West ham. They've moved up in my league ranking from position 91:-
89 dirty leeds
90 man united
91 West ham
92 scousers
To position 89. Dagenham challenged for a bit, but thankfully they've f'ed off.
West ham have suddenly got a few players I don't hate, and although the rubbish freeby ground and the dildo twins keep them mired in the bottom 6, their winning doesn't p me off as much as it used to.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Mon May 09, 2022 12:23 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:33 am

But the club I hate the most and would definitely still hate even if it plummeted down the leagues into non-league would be Liverpool. Because my older brother supported them and was monumentally obnoxious throughout the period when they won nearly every trophy going. Made worse because he supported Chelsea until they got relegated from the old Division 1 and then switched to Liverpool after they beat my team (Toon) in the 1974 FA Cup Final, basically as a **** you to me. Then crowed about their later success, as I stuck to my team through thick and thin. I genuinely have spent most of my life supporting two teams; Newcastle and whoever is playing Liverpool.
I feel you. I have a half brother who I first met when I was 12, he was 8, and I quickly made him a Newcastle fan.
Fast forward 2016 and Klopp's arrival, he turned on us after 6 months, started showing off videos of Liverpool winning, so I called him and asked if he had switched teams, and he said it was because he looked up to me and that was the only reason he liked Newcastle.
Since then I've been on a mission to turn his 4 year boy into a magpie. I will walk through hell to get there <fist>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon May 09, 2022 1:18 pm

I'm not sure I've ever hated/disliked them, or any other team tbh. I do find it amusing when they lose but that's probably more to do with the over-inflated egos in their team that I enjoy seeing that. They haven't really been relevant to a title fight since Fergie left, even that season where Mourinho got them to second they were miles behind.

I find watching Man U a bit like watching a three legged dog chasing a ball. It's pretty clear what the issue is and that it can never catch the four legged dogs, but you can't help but watch with a smile on your face as it careers around the place.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon May 09, 2022 1:56 pm

They're my most hated football club, but then when I consider that against how tribal and angry most football fans get towards their most hated clubs, or in some cases, every club but their own, I can't help but say "hated" is a dramatic overstatement.

But like others, it has more to do with their fans, or the fact seemingly everybody here of my generation is a fan of theirs (Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and probably Juve being next most popular) - and I've never been one to understand liking the popular team (unless they're local to you).

One of my first favourite non-Newcastle football memories is watching Nakamura score for Celtic to beat Man U in CL group play back in like 2006. Scored FKs in both fixtures against them that year. Hell of a FK taker he was.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Mon May 09, 2022 4:46 pm

f*** man utd they deserve everything they get and more