Best Xl

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Best Xl

Post by originallad » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:03 pm

Now that the window has closed.

What would your ideal line up look like?

Mine would be this:

Pope
Trippier Botman Burn Targett
Almiron Bruno Joelinton ASM
Isak
Wilson

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Best Xl

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:07 pm

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Targett

Bruno Willock Joelinton

Almiron Isak ASM

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:16 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:07 pm
Pope

Bruno Willock Joelinton

Almiron Isak ASM
This.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:17 pm

Pope
Willock Bruno Joelinton
Almiron Isak StMaximin

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:23 pm

Pope

Bruno Shelvey Joelinton

Isak Wilson ASM

With Trippier further forward, allowing Isak to tuck in and play off Wilson.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:31 pm

Mentioned in another thread I think Isak out wide is a waste, but if he was to play wide it would be on the left wing, although he's decent with his left, his right foot is probably his stronger one, he's scored a few cutting in from the left wing and bending a shot into the far post.

Primarily he should play through the middle though and only drift during games, think there is possibly room for fluidity with ASM playing across the 3, Isak drifting into the left, Wilson onto the right.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:37 pm

Does Bruno play better wide right? Thought he was more central but right a bit?

I love Schar but I think Burn starts. He's been emense and played well as makeshift left back too.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:39 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Pope

Bruno Willock Joelinton

Almiron Isak ASM
So you don't think there's any room for Wilson?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:45 pm

originallad wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:39 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Pope

Bruno Willock Joelinton

Almiron Isak ASM
Playing our best 11 in a 1 striker system then no.

Only way he makes it into the current system would be if he was willing to play wide right, or if we play Isak Left and ASM right, but then I think you put 2 players in their weaker secondary positions just to fit him in.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:51 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:45 pm
originallad wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:39 pm

Playing our best 11 in a 1 striker system then no.

Only way he makes it into the current system would be if he was willing to play wide right, or if we play Isak Left and ASM right, but then I think you put 2 players in their weaker secondary positions just to fit him in.
Fair enough. Shows that we have a pretty good squad when everyone is fit.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:13 am

I could easily be proven wrong, but I feel there's enough intelligence between Wilson, Isak and ASM (well, mainly the first two...) with Bruno behind to make it work. Let's not forget our most productive period in the last decade (just) was moving an established forward wide to accommodate Cisse, and Isak feels like he has the attributes to do that far more naturally than Ba. Wilson isn't quite Bergkamp to Isak's Henry, but I think he'd thrive off a player being able to actually get close to him at pace.

I do think it's fairly academic though, Wilson's injury record means he'll be in and out anyway.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:25 am

Captain Obvious wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:23 pm
Pope

Bruno Shelvey Joelinton

Isak Wilson ASM

Based of form under Howe, this (the caveat being Isak who is a new signing).

Schar/Burn is toss of a coin as both decent in different ways.

Willock does bring energy to the team and has done quite well, but I think Shelvey found another level pre-injury. Willock pretty nailed until he returns though.

Wilson absolutely features in our best XI, just look at how he played v Arsenal at the end of last season. As said, Isak can tuck in a bit if Trippier is providing width, or I'm sure him and Wilson could take it in turns through the middle.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:32 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:25 am
Captain Obvious wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:23 pm
Pope

Bruno Shelvey Joelinton

Isak Wilson ASM

Based of form under Howe, this (the caveat being Isak who is a new signing).

Schar/Burn is toss of a coin as both decent in different ways.

Willock does bring energy to the team and has done quite well, but I think Shelvey found another level pre-injury. Willock pretty nailed until he returns though.

Wilson absolutely features in our best XI, just look at how he played v Arsenal at the end of last season. As said, Isak can tuck in a bit if Trippier is providing width, or I'm sure him and Wilson could take it in turns through the middle.
Yeah agree with this and Captain Oblivious formation 👍

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:42 am

I just don't see us smashing our record on a CF to then push him out onto the wing, like I mentioned above, I think it would be Wilson that has to compromise on his position if anything.

I am a little skeptical when Eddie talks about them playing together, I just can't see it under this current formation if I'm honest. Wilson out on the right is the only way I can see it but then I'm left thinking would he offer as much as Almiron for us down that side, same with Isaks out there too.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:45 am

I think "the wing" is a bit of an overstatement in the modern game though, there's no way you'd describe a Salah or Jota as "out onto the wing" but they still play to the side of Firmino or Nunez and score for fun. Isak fits that mould for me, certainly more than being a lone striker despite his build.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:54 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:42 am
I just don't see us smashing our record on a CF to then push him out onto the wing, like I mentioned above, I think it would be Wilson that has to compromise on his position if anything.

I am a little skeptical when Eddie talks about them playing together, I just can't see it under this current formation if I'm honest. Wilson out on the right is the only way I can see it but then I'm left thinking would he offer as much as Almiron for us down that side, same with Isaks out there too.
It's gonna be fun finding out though. Great to have these complications. For the past few years our first XI has been nailed on.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:39 am

Colly wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:45 am
I think "the wing" is a bit of an overstatement in the modern game though, there's no way you'd describe a Salah or Jota as "out onto the wing" but they still play to the side of Firmino or Nunez and score for fun. Isak fits that mould for me, certainly more than being a lone striker despite his build.
This. I think Isak will work well on the right of a 3 with his dribbling ability. Both Wilson and Isak like to run the channels out wide as well, so I could see them giving right backs a nightmare with over/underlapping movement in transition. Vid/article on it:

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:41 am

Colly wrote:
Yeah I agree. It’s not “wing” or wide as in what someone like Solano used to play, seeing what Jota etc do is a better comparison. Definitely more ‘wide forward’ if anything.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:11 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:41 am
Colly wrote:
Yeah I agree. It’s not “wing” or wide as in what someone like Solano used to play, seeing what Jota etc do is a better comparison. Definitely more ‘wide forward’ if anything.
I'd say Keith Gillespie is the perfect example of an out and out winger. Bomb it down the line and cross. Those two crosses for Aprilla against Barcelona were majestic.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:25 am

TJR wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:17 pm
Pope
Willock Bruno Joelinton
Almiron Isak StMaximin
This. As good as Isak behind Wilson sounds tempting or Isak to shift out right I don't think it'll work.. Howe's already set the tone and structure for the 4-3-3 high pressure system we have going on and I don't want that to try fit in players that won't work in the system even though we could try the ASM/Isak/Wilson trio with flexibility in certain games but overall 2 wide forwards (Miggy/ASM) supporting one central striker would work better as Wilson/Isak aren't natural wingers.

You can clearly see were we need to upgrade eventually weather its in Jan or next summer. Miggy as many have mentioned is good but not great, lacks consistency and a end product. So we need a NEW RW/Right Wing Forward who can score/assist regularly (Depay, Danjuma, Diaby, etc). Willock is still only 23 and developing but is he good enough (on a consistent basis) to partner / compliment our magnificent Brazlian duo of Bruno/Joe.. there's a reason why we were looking at Paqueta/Maddison (playmaking goal scoring / assisting CAM's/CMs) who can produce the goods on a regular basis. I like Willock but his inconsistency is a bit worrying as he had that purple patch when on loan with us but since signing on a perm deal he's been hot and cold.. I think he's more of a impact sub of the bench as he can use his pace, power and energy to drive at tired defences.

Either way with that starting line-up fully fit and firing on all cylinders we should be aiming minimum for top 10 (outside chance of Europa Conference) + decent cup run. <ok>